Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Overwhelmed with options!

6K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Zandar 
#1 ·
This will likely mark me as the true noob that I am, but does/did anyone else feel overwhelmed with accessory options for their Vulcan S? My priorities are luggage (would prefer a tail bag over saddlebags & definitely don't want a tank bag), a windshield, frame sliders or crash bars, and a helmet lock. The first two categories alone are making my head spin just a bit! Maybe I just need to search more, but what would you guys recommend? It would be nice if especially the luggage could be removed easily when not needed, but that's not a requirement. Thanks in advance....

#2 ·
There's a truckload of accessories for this bike, but we got a very affordable bike with expensive factory options!

The only thing I got that was specific to this model was the headers from Delkevic because those had to be made and fit for this engine. Everything else was general find ebay or amazon and not specific to this model (my bags[boxes], air horn, exhaust, bag[box] hangers, paint, windshield, plate relocate bracket, turn signals, brake light). The spools for the rear lift were from amazon, but were generally available for other models as well.

The tail bag would be a good deal for protecting the fender, and you can probalby find those on ebay for maybe a little cheaper than a dealer. There's a thread for windshields here, but $70 would put you in the neighborhood for a decent aftermarket (spitfire), though some went with the $120-$140 for the Puig. Be sure and look for the correct clamp size as there's usually two options. Frame sliders would be a factory thing made for this bike, but several companies make it. Finally, there's a lot of options for the helmet lock. Whatever you decide on, be sure and check reviews on Amazon; some of the ones I thought looked good turned out to be junk because they freeze up. There was a carabiner combination lock I've seen that looked like a good option, and I think it was around $20 shipped for the one I saw.

#6 ·
@ZenVulcan, hello, and welcome!

When I got my bike, I added at the outset the Kawasaki LED light bar, shorter windshield, gear indicator, 12V accessory outlet, the smaller soft saddlebags and the matching rear tail bag. Having those, and then seeing all the other cool things folks here have, here's my thoughts.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! At least by me, I love this set up. I have the Kawasaki tail bag which is softer. I think if you want only a tail bag, this is the way to go. I think the matching saddlebags make a great combination for longer travels.

Interesting, where do you hang this on your bike?

This is a nice windscreen. I have the shorter Kawasaki screen, but this Puig is also very nice.

I like this more so than engine guards, which I did not get. This might be something I add on. :)

The other addition I'd recommend is a radiator cover. I have to find the link to what I got.

Gerry

#5 ·
Lots of options = good!

When it comes to a windscreen, the first thing you need to consider is if you might ever want the Kawi light bar. If so, you are pretty much stuck with the Kawi windshield unless you feel up to potentially modifying your aftermarket windshield to fit around the lamps. Personally I am happy with my Puig, but it may be on the small side for some people.

My wife has the Kawi tailbag on her bike. It's nice but doesn't hold a lot. If you want a beer-box type of tail bag you will probably need to build a custom luggage rack to mount it to.

#7 ·
For the radiator guard, see this post from another thread. I have the last one, the Evotech Radiator Guard and like it lots.
Hey guys, so far I've ordered 3 radiator guards for the Vulcan S. and to save you guys some money and heartache I'll tell you about each one.

Madhornets.com radiator guard - literal garbage... they sent me a broken product in the mail. The product was wrapped in plastic bag and not in a box... They told me to ship it back to them for a full refund. However, after I sent it back to them they stopped all contact with me and now I'm down about 50 bucks. This product was literally a grill with sheet metal glued on onto the side. Horrible quality. I will never order from mad hornets ever again...

Radiator Grill Grille Guard Cover Kawasaki Vulcan S (2015) Black - Mad Hornets

r&g radiator guard - was okay but for the price the quality was not so great. the install was easy as pie. Its 2 pieces so it has a potential to fall apart over time.

Radiator Guard - Kawasaki Vulcan S '15 onwards rad0190BK RAD0190TI

Evotech Radiator Guard!!-- Probably the best radiator guard out for the vulcan s. Its one piece and installs a little bit more difficult than the r&g radiator guard. However, the price was about the same and the quality is far superior and it looks better.

http://www.evotech-performance.com/kawasaki-vulcan-s-radiator-guard-2015

Ill post pictures of my Vulcan with the radiator guard on soon.
Last, is a seat change. I went with a custom Corbin seat as I was not satisfied with the comfort of the stock seat.
Your butt and therefore your comfort will vary.

Gerry

#9 ·
Yes! Radiator cover! I am was forgot that one. You can go big money and spend $100 or more or you can go cheap from California sourced from China For around 30. I went with the $30 option on mine and painted it black so it would disappear into the bike and not be so prominent. That is a great thing to get because those radiators get pretty expensive if you chunk a rock through it.

#11 ·
Zandar, how do you like the frame sliders?

#13 ·
Oh. I'm sorry to hear that you had a "live test" of the sliders. I hope you are well and back in the saddle. Umm.. any pictures would be great. I am still on the fence about sliders vs engine guards.

Reactions: chench53
#16 ·
Thanks, all. I am likely going to copy Zandar's tail bag and sliders options. Those seem like they're what I mainly need ASAP. Then I'll look more closely at the rest. That LED light bar does seem pretty sweet, but dang it's expensive and I'm not sure that I'll be doing all that much nighttime riding to need extra lights.

#18 ·
I don't see why a larger one would not work. The Givi has a mount that you attach to the solorack and you snap the case to that mount . If the mount is the same, you should have no problem. I bought mine from Revzilla. You should be able to contact them and ask if the mount is the same. They also have a video on the Givi cases that might help.

#19 ·
Roger that, thanks!

As I've been browsing around other areas of this forum (especially in the Gear & Safety area) I am quickly learning that the LED light bar's real value isn't so much in helping the rider to see better at night, but rather in helping other drivers see ME! Like I said in the OP, "newb here!" :) So perhaps I will have to suck it up and spend the money on the Kawi windshield so I can then fork out the cash for the light bar. So much to consider...!

#22 ·
Just ordered the H&B Solorack, the Givi 37L matte black "tech" Monolock topcase with liner, and the helmet lock...all posted by Zandar (thank you!!). I also got some of the retroflective 3M tape in black that will hopefully work on both the case and bike itself. Oh, I am an excited rider! Waiting is going to be challenging!

#25 ·
Well, the site wasn't accurate, and the stand is backordered for about a month. I contacted a couple other sites, and it's the same situation. One replied that this H&B rack is really popular for the Vulcan S and gets sold out really quickly. So that's disappointing--especially since the case and liner have both already shipped--but nothing I can do about it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.