Helmet or Dash Camera? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016/Kawasaki/Vulcan S SE
Displacement/CC's: 649 cc
Color: Blue and Black
Helmet or Dash Camera?

I would like to get some feed back as to which i should buy , A Helmet Cam or A dash Cam , there are some pretty small helmet cams on the market.Which cams would be a better choice , All Opinions are Appreciated..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:46 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Matte Black
Garage
I just bought the Sena Prism Tube. I have only used it once. The picture quality is good. I have not tried it with the in-helmet microphone yet so all I got on my video was wind noise. It will record for 2 hours. Very easy to use but it does have one drawback, since it is round, if you don't align it quite right, your video will have a tilt to it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:13 PM

Color: Green
Garage
Most action cams also have a Dash Cam mode on them where if supplied power is available (DC outlet) they will just record as much as possible and constantly overwrite the oldest footage. Basically leaves you with the most recent (insert time here, depending on card size and settings) of recording. Not all actions cams can do this but most will, they just might have a different name for it. With that said I think unless you can get a Dash cam for VERY cheap, you might as well go the Action cam route just for versatility, but in the end it comes down to what do you want it to do?
I went with the basic SJ4000 a little over a year ago, chin mounted on my helmet because I wanted to be able to see what I was looking at, not just straight ahead. No mic adapters on this model so its wind noise or nothing, or get an external audio recorder (what I did). Once I've changed the exhaust I'll probably start throwing the mic and recorder in the saddlebag instead of my helmet as I'm not much of a talker. For the price it suits my needs fine, though I'm sure there are better and cheaper models on the market today.

For some examples there's a link to my YouTube in my signature

-KeepRidin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2016/Kawasaki/Vulcan S ABS
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Urban White
Garage
Helmet or Dash Camera?

I had to make this choice about two years ago. I looked at various action cams including the SJ400 but since we already use Sena BT intercoms I bought the Sena 10C.

It has a nice action cam feature and also operates as an intercom and interface to my iPhone so I can play stereo music, do phone calls and texts without removing my helmet when we stop, etc.

The 10C currently retails for about $349; the updated version which is lower-profile when installed on the helmet will be the 10C Evo which according to the manufacturer should be available for sale this fall.

My initial review I posted on the BMW sport-touring form can be found here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/intercom...-sena-10c.html

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KeepRidin likes this.

Electrical Engineer
2014 HD FLHTK
2013 BMW K1600GTL
2016 Vulcan S ABS

Last edited by rangemaster728; 02-11-2017 at 01:15 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:39 PM

Garage
Oooo... I like it. I'd like to get a Sena one day and knowing now that they have a camera/intercom model I'll likely go that route as well.

-KeepRidin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2016/Kawasaki/Vulcan S ABS
Color: Urban White
Garage
I've used it for quite a while now and am very satisfied with it; the wife has an SMH10 intercom and we can get at least three quarters of a mile apart before the comms gets fuzzy.

You can also configure the 10C to record your intercom audio and music if you're listening to it right on top of the video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Electrical Engineer
2014 HD FLHTK
2013 BMW K1600GTL
2016 Vulcan S ABS
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan S ABS
Color: Black
Garage
I have 3 of these:

https://driftinnovation.com/collecti...drift-stealth2

Highly configurable: turn off recording light, display light, etc. (to conserve power). The only issue I have with it is you can't charge it while you are using it and charge time. Also, I had to create a cover for the mic using an old black sock to muffle the wind. Works pretty good. The sena 10C evo looks awesome though because I have a sena 20S. Drift's Stealth2 price is good (about $123).

--
Chi male fa, male venne...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:15 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
Color: Flat Black
Garage
I got a Sony AS50R for Christmas and can't wait to use it. I really like having the remote view screen on my wrist so I can make sure the camera is pointing where I want it.

It is not about the destination, but how you get there.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 PM

I don't record all the time, although I really should start getting in the habit of doing so.

I use a GoPro Hero4 currently. You can see my videos in my signature. The only downside of the GoPro is it's larger and less sleek than some of the other options and because it can record such amazing quality videos, it's battery life is poor. If you need something that is on for hours and hours a day if you're on a road trip or something, you'll need 3-4 batteries.

Cage:
| Bike:
| YouTube Vlog:

For Sale:
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I have an older Polaroid XS80 sports cam that I attache either to the headlight bezel as one mount or a RAM mount on the steering bar. It has a good battery life and takes pretty good video. I used it last summer and recorded some longer rides on the roads to and around Tofino, BC. The sound was pretty good although you got some wind noise, I guess to be expected though. Some of the ones posted above look really sweet as well. Like everything else these days it just depends on how deep your wallet goes!

Cheers!

Mike
KeepRidin likes this.

2008 VN1600 NOMAD. Only 2,400 miles when I bought it in June of 2015. Everything stock for now, mods to come including the Big Three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode