Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

HELP I think my gas gauge is stuck

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Newfiezedder 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So Im fueling up in Oakland, staring at this crazy hooker, not paying attention to what i'm doing, and suddenly she points at me and screams and Im like, how could she know, Im wearing a mirrored visor, right? weird. Then I feel the gas running down my pants. Ive overfilled the tank and theres gas everywhere on the tank, down the engine and making a puddle at my feet. Any who, I pulled it to the side, tilted the bike a few times as much as i could to let the gas out the drain hose, poured some water on the bike and went home to wash it.
That was about 30 miles ago. The fuel gauge still reads FULL on start up. Does that sound right to you? I look down into the tank, and the gas is just over the hump, but nowhere near the neck. Could the float be stuck at the top of the tank? Do our bikes even have floats?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
So Im fueling up in Oakland, staring at this crazy hooker, not paying attention to what i'm doing, and suddenly she points at me and screams "nigaaaaaa! nigaaaaa!!!", and Im like, how could she know, Im wearing a mirrored visor, right? weird. Then I feel the gas running down my pants. Ive overfilled the tank and theres gas everywhere on the tank, down the engine and making a puddle at my feet. Any who, I pulled it to the side, tilted the bike a few times as much as i could to let the gas out the drain hose, poured some water on the bike and went home to wash it.
That was about 30 miles ago. The fuel gauge still reads FULL on start up. Does that sound right to you? I look down into the tank, and the gas is just over the hump, but nowhere near the neck. Could the float be stuck at the top of the tank? Do our bikes even have floats?
Mayb she gave it a woody:smile2:

#4 ·
So Im fueling up in Oakland, staring at this crazy hooker, not paying attention to what i'm doing, and suddenly she points at me and screams "nigaaaaaa! nigaaaaa!!!", and Im like, how could she know, Im wearing a mirrored visor, right? weird. Then I feel the gas running down my pants....
LOL, that's a great story!!

Regarding the gauge, I find the gauge reads FULL until I get to about 1/2 tank, then the visual is pretty accurate.

For any new riders who pop into this thread, filling the tank is sometimes a challenge.

Many pumps here will let you set that trigger on the pump, so you don't have to hold and squeeze.
I never use that on the bike. I always manually squeeze for the bike, and squeeze softly so it fills slowly, and I can watch the fill hole.

Occasionally I get a pump that dispenses only at full force, I hate those!! That's when I might underfill a bit to avoid the overfill/spillage issue.

Also, not looking at the hookers while you fill up is good too. :D

Gerry

Reactions: pansolo
#12 ·
....I use my trip odometer as a backup.
When I got home yesterday I snapped this picture, and it shows the the nozzle gate, and I don't fill past that. FYI, my gauge indicated FULL, but clearly, tank is not full.

I agree with rangemaster, I also use the trip odometer as backup.

Ilya, I do what you do - nice outline! :)

Gerry

Attachments

Reactions: Ilya
#11 ·
You guys must have some terrible gas stations everywhere...or you make filling up a project. It's not rocket science, folks...sorry to be blunt in my word usage.

1) Put the nozzle of the pump into the tank
2) Pull it out to jusstttt before it gets past the lip of the bottom part of the filler neck (where the tank technically 'begins' and opens up wide)
3) Lean the nozzle back so it rests on the edge of said filler neck, so basically your nozzle is pointing into the right side of the tank and sitting against the right side of the tank lip which allows you to relax your grip a bit and not have to hold the gun with force, etc.
4) Pump gas
5) Once gas gets to the nozzle (just below the filler neck), the pump should auto shut off (at least virtually every gas station in the last 13 years from when I turned 16 does this)
6) If you still want another few drops, manually clip the nozzle trigger a few times to get it to the brim (as I often do)
7) Pull the nozzle out an inch or two
8) Let the fuel that was in the nozzle (by virtue of it becoming submerged at the top of tank in step 6) drain out and into the tank
9) Shake the nozzle a little to get any remaining drops out
10) Remove the nozzle and put it back on the pump while holding your gloved hand under the nozzle as to not get any possible fuel drops still left onto the tank
11) Close gas cap
12) Start motorcycle
13) LET ER RIP!
14) Emotionally profit

This process has never failed me on 2x 2013 Ninja 300's, 1x 2013 Ninja ZX6R, and two days ago on my first ever fill-up on my 2015 Vulcan S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.