Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Removing front forks

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  bearslayer 
#1 ·
Hi all.
I need to remove the forks but do not have a front paddock stand to facilitate this. I am happy to buy one, if anyone can recommend one, either in France or Uk, but is there an alternative way of jacking the front up? I assume jacking under the motor is a DEFINITE No No, lol. I have a standard trolley jack but can see no way to set it underneath. I also have a rear paddock stand.
Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Mike

#2 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I have replaced the rear shock with a YSS one, much improved. I've had good experience with the UK company (Firefox Racing) who've done work on previous bikes. As Engineerk9 has already said the forks benefit from fettling and Firefox have offered to look at them and sort as appropriate. We have had several conversations and I trust them. There's no way I can ride from the west of France to Yorkshire in the time available, so I'm thinking of posting them. It worked with the shock.
I don't have a lot of experience with suspension mods so any advice comments would be appreciated. This is my first custom bike and having had mostly large trailies, the suspension has come as a bit of a disappointment (and shock-sorry!)

#8 ·
That is simple. you need a motorcycle jack like this, there are a lot of them out there.
and then you need this
these with a couple of straps will save you $5000 worth of headaches. Don't even think of lifting a 1500 without the Idaho jack adapter. ( don't ask how I know).
have fun

#9 ·
Oh I forgot. The easiest way to get the bike high enough is to bevel 2 stacked 2x12's. you will need two for each wheel. they need to be attached to the floor. ride the bike up onto them unless you are the Hulk and can push it up. put 2 ( stacked) 2x4 under the kickstand. Then mount the adapter to the bottom of the bike. then slide the jack under. This is the simplest and safest way I have found .

#11 ·
I just bought a 2t engine crane really cheap to lift a milling machine into my garage. It will work really good to lift the front end of my bike with a sling wrapped around the headset with the rear end on a pit stand, so I can finally check the steering bearings. Much easier than jacking from underneath.

#12 ·
I just bought a 2t engine crane really cheap to lift a milling machine into my garage. It will work really good to lift the front end of my bike with a sling wrapped around the headset with the rear end on a pit stand, so I can finally check the steering bearings. Much easier than jacking from underneath.
View attachment 243736
Have you lifted up the bike yet? Careful, had a buddy flip his😵. They tend to allow movement making it harder to wrench. Yes it takes a bit to jack up the bike but it gives a pretty stable platform.
Stay safe Capt. Oh how is the covid effects your way?

#15 ·
You're a lucky man Bear. The KVS should keep you riding/smiling while you work on the Duke. That Nomads a beast too.
I've been dreaming about getting an old 1978 Z1R for a project but they are much sought after and it shows in price. Might have to settle with something cheaper from the 90's.

#16 ·
See I'm looking for a Road King (2009) and a 70's R60/# or R75/# . Like the shirt my son gave me says " You can never have too many motorcycles". Of course if I can find a 1972 Husqvarna 450WR I would probably get in trouble. The dilemma of being retired with enough saved ( if I don't eat) to buy a couple of more scooters. ,🤪

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.