Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Vulcan S shifting problems

27K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Mousedroid 
#1 ·
I've only had my bike for four weeks and for the most part love it -- except now I'm noticing a shifting issue, I think. I'm a noob who just started riding this summer, and I bought my 2015 Vulcan S used with 1200 miles on it. The shifting is hard for me to figure out because I don't have any experience with other bikes and can't compare, but it feels like a problem getting worse. First I noticed that it had a little difficulty shifting up into third. It would take me two or even sometimes three tries on occasion. At first I decided that was just a fluke and started shifting a little more firmly with my foot. But that didn't really help things, and now I think I've got a more troubling issue in the lower gears. On three different occasions I have tried to leave a parking spot in first gear only to discover that I wasn't in first as I thought (engine killed). And this morning -- also trying to leave from a parked position -- I couldn't get the bike into neutral. I know the 2015 Vulcan S's have had shifting issues reported, and Kawasaki even issued a recall at one point. But the descriptions I have read of those bikes' symptoms don't exactly resemble mine (they were about difficulties downshifting while moving). Does anyone have this problem or, better yet, any advice?

#2 ·
Check the arch of your boots

Earlier this year when my Vulcan S had about 200 miles on it. I experienced some trouble shifting into third also. I when to the dealer to have it checked. After the inspection and road test no problem found was the result.

The technician asked about my shoes and mentioned the rubber mounted shiftier assembly. I had just bought a new pair of boots. Just to check his theory, wore my old boots and normal shifting resulted. I now wear my old boot when ever riding the Vulcan S.

Ps Technician reminded me the Ninja engine transmission assemblies have proven to be bullet proof under competition and street conditions for a dozen or so years.

I hope this helps..

JohnC

#4 ·
Thanks to both of you for these replies. John, I'm trying to understand what difference the boots would make. I wear a (fairly new) pair of mc boots (speed and strength brand), but how would that make any difference to the rubber-mounted shifter assembly?

#5 ·
Not sure about the rubber mounted shifter assembly but I'll tell you that on my ZX6R I sometimes don't hit my shifts cleanly or at all if I'm wearing sneakers versus real boots. The boots are a hard shell in the toe area, so it takes less pressure to move the lever because that shell doesn't 'cave' under pressure of the lever. The sneakers on the other hand are a softer fabric and you have to 'shift harder' to move the lever enough to shift because when you put the lever against the sneaker, the fabric sinks in a bit...so you're really shifting with your actual toes inside the sneaker. If that makes sense.

#7 ·
Hey Miz, I too had a similar issue when I bought a new 2016 Vulcan S, I am a first time rider and also had no other bike to compare it too so I couldn't tell if my issues was normal or not. My problem was that I could never get the bike in neutral... I got to 1st with no problem, trying to get to N would never work and would skip straight to 2nd and so on... I would do the lightest tap from 2nd to N or 1st to N just to try and find it and no luck.

I then started to play with the level dials on the clutch handle, then are numbered from 1 - 5 for how much tension the clutch cable was giving. I think it was set at a 1... I played around with it and now I have it at 3 and now im getting N with no problem what so ever, goes in like butter. Give that a try and see if that helps. The cable might need more tension or less.

#8 · (Edited)
Since you have a 2015 model, it could be related to the issue several of us had last year. I know you mentioned that the symptoms don't sound the same, but if it was never repaired by the previous owner then potentially it's a problem that has advanced in some way. I'm pretty sure if you call kawasaki they will warranty repair it, even if you aren't the original owner. Maybe give them some info and check?
I was a first time rider too. I've put about 3500 miles on mine. I've ridden in steel toe work boots, riding boots and sneakers. I don't think I have ever had issue shifting up. I may have mistimed the clutch release and failed at shifting up. But it's never been a continuous issue. I think it's incredibly easy to shift this bike.
I'd check the clutch handle setting, make sure you're getting a good engagement. Also check your oil level, and/or change it. Do you know if the 500 mi service was done?

#9 ·
One thing worth a mention here it that the Vulcan s has a positive neutral finder that you might not know about. after reading the owners manual (Page 83), I tried out this little marvel of engineering with success. When coming to a stop, be sure to downshift all the way to first gear. After stopping, pull up on the gear shift lever and you will go right into neutral. Knowing about this should help you eliminate starting in any gear other that first.

Second, a piece of advice for smoother shifts and good technique: pre-load the shift lever. To do this, simple put some pressure on the shift lever before pulling in the clutch. Doing this "loads" the lever and allows for buttery smooth shifts. I have a Honda Goldwing that has to be shifted this way or it clunks very loudly.

As a side note, I find the Vulcan S transmission to be very smooth. If you are still having problems, I would suggest having a Kawasaki technician ride the bike. They would be able to tell you what is normal.

#11 ·
Thanks to everyone for these suggestions, all of which I am taking very seriously. I had the bike out yesterday and, believe it or not, didn't have any of the shifting problems I described -- perhaps because I wore different boots! I'm going to keep riding and trying out your suggestions and see if the shifting issues continue; if they do, back to the shop (and phone to Kawasaki) we will go. I have to say, growing pains aside, I still love this bike!

#12 ·
Hi, no issues for me. That positive neutral finder was a brief learning experience, but all is OK.

FYI, if anyone is concerned about any recalls, check the Kawasaki site, just enter your VIN number!

https://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerSupport/SafetyRecall

Gerry

Reactions: dustin91
#13 ·
Okay, so here's an update: I wrote to Kawasaki USA using their online "contact us" link and got a personalized, friendly response -- written by a real person with a name -- within two days. I had described my shifting problem and he agreed that they resembled the "recall" (it wasn't literally a "recall," just a covered replacement of faulty parts) and told me to take it to my Kawi dealership. I sent my VIN and he looked it up and said the parts replacement hadn't happened yet. So in I went today. The dealership ordered all of the parts and said they would be here on Monday, at which point I should bring the bike back. It will all be covered by Kawi. So far, so good, that's my take on this. Hopefully my shifting problems will be gone by Tuesday. I'll keep you posted.

#16 ·
Sorry to revive this old thread but I am having the same issues you were experiencing. Took the bike out for a ride today since it was sunny and in the upper 40's. Thought get a few miles on this brand new 2016 Vulcan S Cafe. At one point it didn't want to shift up from 2nd to 3rd regardless how hard I pulled up on the shift lever with my hard toed motorcycle boots. I slowed down and stopped then shifted to first accelerated and went into second without problem and then it hung again in 3rd no matter how hard I tried. I am no Newby and been riding motorcycles from a CB450 Nighthawk to a Ninja 900 to a Vulcan Nomad and a Honda VTX 1800C and I never experienced this issue. I adjusted the shift rod to give it more distance so my boot had a bit more space and tomorrow I will take it out again but I personally don't think that the shift rod adjustment has anything to do with this shifting issue. Perhaps it's a more common issue than Kawasaki wants to admit. There is no recall for my VIN number but there is definitely a problem. I tried all the different settings of the clutch lever and that didn't help. If the issue persists I will have to take it to the stealer.
Luckily it is still under warranty for 11 1/2 months :wink2: If the OP Mizhakwad is still with us can you please let us know if the issue was fixed by the parts that your dealer ordered for you and if possible can you tell me the part numbers or at least what these parts consisted of? Thank you very Much!

#14 ·
I had a few missed shifts early on with my 2015 S, and was used to smooth shifts on my Honda, so I stopped by the dealer one evening on the way home. They said for the 2015 models there was a service bulletin that some of the shifters, where they mount to the bike (the bolt), didn't get lubed properly from the factory, and said if I simply put a little motor oil, or light weight oil, on the shifter mount, rocking it outboard and in board to wick the oil down to the bolt then I would have great shifting. After doing this the shifter worked great. Now when I ride in the rain or wash the bike, I not only oil the chain but also put a drop or two of light weight oil - I use Marvel Mystery oil, on the shifter pivot and everything is buttery smooth. As noted earlier a little pre-load before clutching makes all the difference, and a loose chain adds backlash that wants to release when shifting causing the gear train to mis-align slightly... creating minor shift annoyance. I was blown away how much slack was in my chain at 400 miles, am at 3,000 now and have adjusted 5 times... each time it helps make the shift a little sweeter. Its a system so it's all related... :)

#15 ·
Hey thanks for the tips. Ive got a 2016 and switched to the short reach shift rod for a couple of days and it was hard to downshift smoothly. Much better with the mid rod. Maybe check your rod measurement, may be off. 175mm for mid reach rod from nut to nut. Ive put 380 miles so far, time to check the chain.

#17 ·
Yeah, it was totally fixed by the dealership. I have no idea what part numbers were involved or anything like that, but they knew what it was and handled it under warranty (maybe recall -- I don't remember). My advice is to take it in to them. After the fix I had no problems whatsoever. Good luck!

#21 ·
It must be because I don't see a spring externally. The Fix Kit includes about 7 different parts including 2 springs, gaskets,washers, seal oil etc. Someone posted a receipt once but it's so tiny I can't make out all of the details or part numbers. I am attaching it below. I think I will take it in after winter since I don't want to risk having the bike at the dealer and having to pick it up with 3 feet of snow on the ground.

Attachments

#22 ·
Just an update. My shifting problems have been resolved. I adjusted the shifter linkage to fit my boot better and put some lube on the shaft going into the transmission. I believe the lever was too far down and I was preloading the lever with my boot not allowing the upshift to occur. After raising the shift lever where I can comfortably put my size 13 boot underneath all the shifting issues went away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.