Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

F&*^%*( Radiator!

7K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  myersd802003 
#1 ·
Out with my wife today, her brand new 650s cafe took a fatal hit to the rad.

The new one is getting a protector.

Anyone have to replace a rad yet / any idea how much?

Bike was roadside assisted back to the dealer after hours, so I have no clue. Only know that i'm really angry right now. My Voyager has a protector, I can't believe they skimped on the S. Never noticed until today and it's a hard lesson to learn.

#3 ·
Otter, sorry to hear! What happened that caused the fatal hit to the radiator? And, more importantly, is your wife OK?

Dustin, I'm glad you were able to get your tire replaced quickly.

Gerry

Reactions: dustin91
#5 ·
wife''s ok, just royally ticked off. At least roadside took care of most of the tow.

We figure the front tire kicked up a stone.

The rad is 634 CAD. The dealer offered to contact kaw on Monday to ask for goodwill/help with the bill considering the bike is so new. There's always the option of welding it but the wife rightly said that it's a new bike, she doesn't want a welded rad.

So we'll see what the dealer can come up with.

I'm angry with kaw right now because they put a short fender on the bike AND have the radiator as very vulnerable AND chose not to have a protector on it. My voyager has mesh protecting the rad, it can't cost the factory that much. We never thought of it when she bought the bike, but it's not hitting the road again without a protector installed.

#9 · (Edited)
F&*^%*( Radiator!

There are likely multiple options for front fender extenders for the Vulcan S.

Two immediately come to mind:
Pyramid Plastics out of the UK (they do have American distributors) and from what I can see on their website they have two that fit that bike. Here's the link to one of them.
https://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/...00&d=Vulcan+S+Extenda+Fenda&partNumber=053446

The other that comes to mind, and which I used is the one from R&G:
http://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Kawasaki/Vulcan_S/2016/FERG0319/

The Pyramid model(s) goes on with sticky-tape; some of their models (like for my BMW ) also include very small screws.

The R&G version has the same double-sided tape, but also has four each 4mm push-rivets so you can drill holes and pop them in... This is the one I used, but I de-badged it primarily because whoever the cross-eyed Englishman was that put it together placed their little 3D logo on crooked.[emoji849]

UPDATE: after reviewing it in greater detail it appears that Pyramid also uses 4 mm push-rivets now. It wouldn't surprise me if Pyramid is making these for R&G [emoji848]

MSRP on the Pyramid about £16.90; the R&G £23.33 and up, excluding VAT.

Hope that helps.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
So sorry to hear....my past experience on Radiators mandated I install a Guard and ordered one before I even picked up the bike and the dealer installed it for me while installing the options.....after a couple of rides I notice the Rad Guard was covered in mud and sand...so I also put on a Fenda Extenda.....now nothing but bugs hit my Radiator....

#12 · (Edited)
F&*^%*( Radiator!

All it takes is a small drill bit...if you have a drill bit set (called a drill index) you can match the size pretty easily. It's a metric-sized hole but I used a close SAE size bit w/no problem...just select one that matches the diameter of the rivet barrel without the center pin inserted, as it expands when you push the pin in and you want a tight fit.

Do your layout on the fender, mark, drill, seat the plastic rivet barrel with your fingers and insert the center piece. Done.

I used blue painter's tape on the fender...that way I can make my layout marks to locate the holes and protect the fender if the drill chuck bottoms out by accident.

BTW...the same type (different size) of plastic pop rivet is used on the Vulcan S side cover...if you lose the center piece like I did one day when working on the bike the rivets are available online or at Home Depot/Lowes [emoji106]

Same can be said for the small black Allen head machine screws Kaw uses to hold most of the plastic panels on...Home Depot or Lowes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 ·
The Fenda Extenda that I installed only had the Adhesive tape....cleaned it really good with cleaner then alcohol and clamped it on overnight and so far not even trying to loosen up...made a BIG difference on my radiator and exhaust piple headers...

#21 ·
I have a story for you guys. I'm still a NOOB to motorcycles, but last year the Vulcan S had a lot of mud on it. I decided to use a power washer on it. Bent the fins on the Radiator. My heart fell down to stomach. Took it to the dealership and they said, they've seen worse. Tried to bend the fins back, but it was making it look worse. I got the R&G radiator guard and you couldn't tell. I live in southern New Mexico, so it gets hot and I never had a problem with it overheating. Just a story to remind people not to use a power washer lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.