Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2016 Soft Top Case - Rear

13K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  dustin91 
#1 ·
Hi Boys and Girls,
Who's got one?

What are your opinions after using it?
How does it match up with an Ext Reach seat?
OEM worth it?
Alternatives you are using on the rear fender without any type of luggage rack.
I already have Viking bags but like all humans I have an underlying want for more.

See less See more
#4 ·
Got one, and used it with the mid-range and extended-range seats. Matched up perfectly with the mid, and quite good with the extended (but I raised mine with a nut because I was too far back in it). Easy to install, roomy enough, has a gusset zipper to extend the height... only slight issue is it didn't take long for the top to sink in a bit towards the seat, like the zipper and fabric collapsed a little. Hardly a huge deal, not really visibly noticeable, but when you're unzipping all the way around, you have to tug the pulls up a bit when you get to the seat area. Overall, I think it's a great match to the bike.

You can see my pics of how it looks with some inexpensive soft saddle bags here. Look close enough and you'll see what I mean about the front of the bag collapsing a bit.

#6 ·
I have it, have good things to say, and some suggestions but no time to elaborate!! Though, overall it is a handy item. I will post more over the weekend.

Gerry

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I got one and really like it. It works well for a long day trip to hold all my stuff and it comes with a rain cover (haven't had to use it yet). Nice not to have to pay separate for a rain cover.

Also it's nice to have the carry handle to take it off the bike.

I have the Kawasaki luggage rack also, so I have the option of putting another type of bag or my backpack bag on it-without use the soft top case. The soft top case will fit over the luggage rack only if you extend the velcro straps, which I did. If you can't do this yourself, just take it to a shoe repair place and they have the heavy duty sewing machine to extend the straps.

I'm experimenting with using the luggage rack only, or the soft top case, but I at least have it set up to use them together.

#23 ·
....I have the Kawasaki luggage rack also, so I have the option of putting another type of bag or my backpack bag on it-without use the soft top case. The soft top case will fit over the luggage rack only if you extend the velcro straps, which I did.....
I'm experimenting with using the luggage rack only, or the soft top case, but I at least have it set up to use them together.
Hi Footdragger, If you have the luggage rack, do you also have the single metal/velcro piece meant for the top case, or did you omit?

I would love to see some pictures of the set up, and of the extended velcro straps, thanks!

Gerry

#10 ·
I had the dealer attach all my accessories. I do see how easy it is! I have removed the rear top case and put it back, and even moved the metal/velcro strip over as I did seat adjustments. I have not found any clear adhesive film.

I looked at the instructions to attach this:
https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Uploads/Accessories/K57003120/ii_K57003120.pdf

It clearly indicates there's a film. You can see something marked A07/clear film on page 1 in the picture. Is it a strip, or is that folded up?

Anyway, This is another thing I'm going to bring to my dealer to ask for.

Footdragger, I also like the idea of having the rack, and then putting the rear top case on that, via your suggestion to extend the tabs that attach. Truthfully, I think those skinny tabs could be more substantial than the 1/2 inch velcro that they are.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Gerry

#12 ·
Good idea dustin, my concern is how it looks once the bag is taken off... Is it clearly visible and makes you want to always have something on to cover it (bag/passenger seat) or does it still look nice even if there is nothing installed.

Have a possible pic of what it looks like installed with nothing on it? And a link to the one you got off amazon?

Its the dust and grit that gets under there with the bag vibrating that will definately scuff the top clear coat.
Ahh ok, didn't think of that, thanks!

#13 ·
Crazy (or is it Kill? :wink2:), I wasn't concerned with how it looked because I have the rear case on with two Nelson-Rigg soft saddle bags. The bags attached by two wide velcro straps, one of which went under the soft case's metal bar with velcro, which was a major PITA as I had to sort of put the bags and case on all at the same time... meaning, none of them are ever coming off, so I'm not worried what it looks like!

I put the pics in my album, let me know if you can access it here.

#14 ·
haha, nice! yeah the link worked and I see what you mean. I like how it looks. I was concerned with the look because I'll be switching back and forth from a passenger seat, to the rear bag, to nothing installed, and if I rode with nothing I didn't want the rear of the bike to look ugly in case the protective film didn't blend in.

#15 ·
Here's the stuff I got from Amazon. Honestly, without the bag(s) covering it, it wouldn't look great. It was a little bubbled, but that's not to say if you put it on carefully you couldn't smooth it out. I just wasn't interested in getting it on perfectly, and the fender is curved in all directions as well. It's also not entirely clear, just a bit opaque, if that sways your decision.

#18 ·
Here's the stuff I got from Amazon. Honestly, without the bag(s) covering it, it wouldn't look great. It was a little bubbled, but that's not to say if you put it on carefully you couldn't smooth it out. I just wasn't interested in getting it on perfectly, and the fender is curved in all directions as well. It's also not entirely clear, just a bit opaque, if that sways your decision.
Awesome, thanks for the tip!

#19 ·
My project is complete. Unless this soft top case for the rear is fully filled, it collapses on itself in the warm sun. It is also a bit too floppy which made trying to pack and arrange items a bit of a challenge. So, I turned to corrugated plastic for help.

I used cardboard to make a template of the contour of all sides. Cut, fit, tape, repeat. :)

There's three templates - one for the seat end, one for the tail end, and one for the sides, so you'd cut two of those.

I bought corrugated plastic and used these to make the four parts.
Corrugated Plastic Panels - BLICK art materials

I wasn't sure if I'd make errors, so I bought two pieces. My cost was about $18 with shipping. But one sheet of 20x30 inches is sufficient.

My templates were cut out so the ribs run vertical which makes it easy to flex it a bit.

I used a regular paper punch to put two holes at the end of each piece, and attached them all with zip-ties.

The pictures in order show:
  1. The templates I made are laid out on my sewing board. I transferred to the corrugated plastic and cut out each of the two ends, and two identical side pieces, total four pieces.
  2. The four pieces attached with zip ties. Note the corrugated ribs are vertical, makes shaping it easy.
  3. EXPAND the bag to insert the corrugated circle. Note the black welting on the inside from bag's expanding zipper. I measured the corrugated plastic so it would fit just under that black welting.
  4. My rain cover is stashed behind the plastic at the seat end.
  5. Contract the bag fully and the excess fabric folds over the plastic, also holding it in place.

I'm hoping this solves the sagging in warm weather.

FYI, I had used corrugated plastic several years ago to firm up some vinyl saddlebags, and that worked well also, it's a handy thing!

Gerry

Attachments

Reactions: KiLL CraZy
#20 ·
And, last picture, tail case all zipped and contracted. I'll make sure to give a follow up in a week or so!

Gerry

Attachments

Reactions: KiLL CraZy
#21 ·
Gerry, it looks great! Glad you followed through on this, and thanks for posting the pics. Any chance you can post your cardboard templates on the sewing board so we can get an idea of the dimensions? :wink2:

Also, if anyone else is interested, you can pick up a monstrous panel that you can make a lot of mistakes with before you run out of material for $16 on Amazon Prime.

#25 ·
...Any chance you can post your cardboard templates on the sewing board so we can get an idea of the dimensions? :wink2:
I scanned my templates on a yellow background, scanned to 11x17 size, and I stuck a tape measure on the copier.

There are three PDFs, I hope this works!

These two are scanned to 8.5 x 14 or legal sized paper.

Soft Tail Case Template Seat End

Soft Tail Case Template Tail End

This last one is scanned to 11 x 17 sized paper.

Soft Tail Case Template Side - cut two

I drew in APPROXIMATE location where you'd punch holes, that's something you'd need to estimate yourself for best fit.

If you can print them out, then you just need to cut it out!

Good luck.

Gerry

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.