Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2011 Vulcan 900 -Much Better Suspension

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  FurEBear 
#1 ·
Today I took a 2011 Vulcan 900 for a ride. It didn't have the response that mine has but I couldn't believe how much more comfortable it was on the bumps.(rear suspension only) It's a much heavier bike I know, but man what a difference. I'm still waiting (so is my spine) for someone to get us a better shock/spring combo that will smooth out our Vulcan S's.

#3 ·
Yesterday my husband and I rode about 230 miles. Yes, it's bumpier than the 1100 VSTAR Silverado that I had (with Mustang seat), but I was still in good shape when I got home, EXCEPT for a sore butt, as the contour of the seat doesn't match mine! I have the Corbin on order, and hoping that helps.

Also, what about the rear shock absorber? Where is it set? Mine is at the "2" standard setting it set at, and MOM says 1st is softest, 7th is hardest. I think it means at 1st or 2nd, the spring is most expanded and will provide more 'bounce' or cushioning? If so, I have one more to go and may give that a shot.

While I am happy with the position of the foot controls, my legs are still in an extended position. I'm only 4'11" tall. I still wish they were more 'mid' maybe by another 2" as I find it would allow me to stand on the pegs more easily and use my legs as shock absorbers.

Gerry

#4 ·
I'm 230lbs and have been bounced out of my seat on numerous occasions on the standard setting, i.e. #2. The reason is not because #2 is too hard but too soft. I've bumped it up to #4 and it's a revelation. The shock was bottoming out on #2 and now I'm no longer using up all the meagre travel as often. I'm gonna try it on #5. :grin2:

#8 ·
Difference is likely that your VN900 has a crapped out rear shock (they're only good for maybe 20,000 miles at best), and since all the damping is gone, all you are riding on now is a big spring. The only remaining adjustment to be made is the preload. That is a main reason a newer bike of the same model rides so much better. If you put a new, quality shock on your old VN you'd get at least as a good ride, if not even better.

#13 ·
I weigh 275 and originally my bike was set on 3....it rode okay but bottomed out on PotHoles...it also felt loose in the corners...I kicked it up to the 5th notch and it made a world of difference, especially in the corners. I plan to kick it up to the 7th notch when carrying a passenger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.