Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Windscreen help

34K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  362554 
#1 ·
Need some imagination help here. I really want to get the '16 Cafe windscreen but just can't justify the $300 for the screen and another $200 for the bracket kit. I'm just looking for a little wind deflection without compromising the look of the bike. Have anyone tried a different approach here? For example the attached Givi screen is only $100 with the mounts. The question is would the universal fit fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Make sure and measure the diameter of the headlight itself. It's an odd-sized headlight and not very round, so I would think even better would be a half screen like a regular windshield, but in café style. Then you could do bar clamps and come out a lot cheaper. Factory windshield for our bikes was $400+, but I ebay'd mine my spitfire out of California for around $60.

#4 ·
There's only one way to find out. That's to spend the money. I started with no windscreen until one day I decided to hit the highway. Had to exit after 3 minutes of fighting with the wind. Then I saw sjcurtis's zero gravity windscreen,. Bought it. It's only $80 from revzilla. The clamps were hard to track down, but once I got them, installed the zero gravity (which I cracked BTW). Tested it out and found it was a little better than having no windscreen. I really liked this windscreen because it was low profile, but it just didn't work. Then I bought a

Slipstreamer SS-20 Stealth Windshield - Smoke SS-20-SMOKE

When I got it installed it looked like crap because the headlight was too wide for the bottom fork thingys. So I cut them. Let me tell you cutting acrylic is hard. OK, so I got the windscreen to fit around the headlight. Looked way better & I rode that for a while before it too wasn't blocking the wind as I had hoped. So then I finally went with the stock large windscreen (the dealer I bought my vulcan from gave me one-time %20 discount on Vulcan accessories). So it is better than slipstreamer, but still getting most of the wind on my helmet. I don't like the look of it, but what the hell is the point of buying a bike if you are not going to ride it?

#6 · (Edited)
If your looking to deflect wind I don't think the Cafe windshield does anything at all.... It's more for looks... So as much as you like the look I think you will be disappointed with anything like that... Remember when riding a real Cafe racer your leaning forward head down, on our bike your upright.

#7 ·
I bought the "Puig Naked New Generation Windscreen" from Revzilla. The fit is great, the look is ok, and it keeps the wind off your chest. I'm 5' 10" with the extended reach seat and it puts the wind right about half way up my helmet visor, so there is some buffeting. For highway riding it's nice to have the pressure off your chest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#10 ·
We are the same height. I'm getting it on top part of my helmet too. If that windshield was just 3-4 inches higher, I'd go for it. I'm eye balling this as the next thing to try against my battle with the wind:

MRA X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade - RevZilla

Of course the look will be crap, but WTH. If I can't enjoy riding, what good is it if the bike "looks" good????

#13 ·
I saw somewhere online that some windscreens have a small adjustable vent at the bottom.
This allows an amount of air in behind the screen reducing the low pressure vacuum effect of buffeting.

My windscreen only offers protection from my neck down so my helmet is open therefore I have no effect of buffeting but get full protection to torso and hands where it counts.

#17 ·
Ok, I've read most (if not all) the posts here for windscreen/windshield (what's the diff??) options for the Vulcan S and I'm not sure which direction I should go. I'm 5 ft nothing and will be picking up my bike in Sacramento on 11 June (will fly in on 10 June). I cannot afford the dealer windshield option (cost is ridiculous!) so was hoping for some cheaper, but utilitarian options. I plan on riding thru the mountains, but also across the desert thru Utah, Idaho, Arizona, so was thinking that having a windscreen/windshield would be ideal.

Knowing that I have no real time to install or modify one, which would be the easiest/quickest to install without costing me an arm/leg?...also I'd need to have it in 2 weeks (or less).

=/

Aloha and Mahalo,
itty

#21 ·
Knowing that I have no real time to install or modify one, which would be the easiest/quickest to install without costing me an arm/leg?...also I'd need to have it in 2 weeks (or less).

=/

Aloha and Mahalo,
itty
Just my personal opinion, but I'm very pleased with my Spitfire. THIS WINDSCREEN should be the one that fits (I believe we have 1" handlebars). I've made a few trips on mine and it's done wonderfully and hasn't budged since installation. I'm 5'11".

#19 ·
I purchased the factory medium windshield and I'm 5 foot nine I had to order the larger windshield and it still doesn't work that great but it's much improved over the medium. If you're short to medium would probably work though it is expensive as for the café that's just for looks it won't protect you at all and you'll be buying the windscreen when you're done with that one they're not cheap they never are the object is to only buy it once

#25 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of pics...

Attachments

Reactions: dustin91
#28 ·
The Puig is out of stock or won't ship til after my 3 week ride is over, unfortunately. I'm only 5'1" (max). Will the Spitfire be too tall? There's the Memphis Shades Shooter that is 1" shorter than the Spitfire, but not sure if that would also fit the Vulcan S or not. Anyone have any experience with the Memphis Shades Shooter?

#30 ·
Hi there!

Not sure about the budget option, but I got Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing for my babe. The mounting kit is sold separately.
Goes with the style of the bike (900 Custom). Takes a lot of wind of the chest - feeling no pressure on the highway up to 85mph.
Very happy!

The only minor thing is that it redirect all the air to the head (I am tall). Not an issue for me as I ride mostly with the full face helmet when on highways. Around the city with the half face - not an issue as well.

Cheers!

#32 ·
If I can ever see some windshields in real life to see what would work for TurboGirl I would order her one but I only want to do a 1 time buy and it work for her

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.