Radiator Guard? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan S
Color: Black
Radiator Guard?

Looking over my bike the other day, I began to notice some tiny dents in my radiator. Thought they were dirt/bugs at first, but it is actually getting a little damaged. This is annoying since I only ride fairly clean roads in good weather. Being my first liquid-cooled bike, I never gave a second thought to this. Kawasaki wouldn't hang a radiator out there if it couldn't take a few shots, right? After doing a little research, I found out that radiator damage from road debris is a thing, and can be expensive to fix and even cause a crash (if it gets punctured and spews coolant, sending you down). Rather than risk one or both of those things, I bit the bullet and got a radiator guard. R&G has a couple styles for our bike. I went with the black aluminum mesh style, rather than the shiny brushed aluminum, slotted version. Didn't really want to accentuate the radiator. If I rode on dirtier roads, I would've opted for the other version, as it should offer a bit more protection.

It weighs next to nothing, the install was super easy, and I think it looks awesome on the bike! Looks like a factory piece. Now I'm annoyed that Kawasaki doesn't provide something like this standard, since this radiator is pretty exposed, low and vulnerable. It's a bit pricey for what it is, but I figured it beats the alternative.

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rard_guard3_sml.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	151986   Click image for larger version

Name:	rad_guard2_sml.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	151994   Click image for larger version

Name:	rad_guard_sml.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	152002  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 05:04 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Flat Black
Garage
I put the R&G Racing guard on...it is fairly easy to install. I am also putting a "Fenda Extenda" on my front fender to eliminate the mud, dirt and debris being thrown up on the radiator by the front tire. It is a "Stick On" extender....will have to see...might put a couple of fender screws in it to just make sure.

Kawasaki Vulcan S650 15 Stick Fit Extenda Fenda SF 053446 | eBay
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurEBear View Post
I put the R&G Racing guard on...it is fairly easy to install. I am also putting a "Fenda Extenda" on my front fender to eliminate the mud, dirt and debris being thrown up on the radiator by the front tire. It is a "Stick On" extender....will have to see...might put a couple of fender screws in it to just make sure.
IMO, the radiator guard is a must-have. It really should have come from the factory this way. I'm thinking about a fender extender also, mostly to keep the crud off my chain. I understand your reservations about a stick-on. I'd probably want at least 1 bolt on there. R&G has an extender coming out, but it's not available yet. No idea as to cost or how it attaches.

Looks nice:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FERG0319_PR_New.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	152034  

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 03:52 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti View Post
IMO, the radiator guard is a must-have. It really should have come from the factory this way............R&G has an extender coming out, but it's not available yet. No idea as to cost or how it attaches.
My honest opinion, Kawasaki should have done the front fender bigger to eliminate the need for a rad guard and a fender extender. I'm not happy with the spray angle up from the road.

BTW the R&G Fen'stender has no visible fasteners leading me to think its adhesive stickers like the ebay version which coincidentally is sold just 3hrs north of R&G Racing HQ............you can't really extend the shape of the factory guard much different other than put a different badge on.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Evil View Post
My honest opinion, Kawasaki should have done the front fender bigger to eliminate the need for a rad guard and a fender extender. I'm not happy with the spray angle up from the road.
Yes, a proper fender would eliminate most of these issues. Fenda Extendas are made for almost every modern motorcycle, so the problem is certainly not isolated to our bikes. Unfortunately, appearance trumps function when trying to sell bikes, and stubby fenders are "cool".

FurEBear--please post about your experience with the extender. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested!
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 10:32 AM

Great thread and post on the RG install. Thanks
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 06:53 PM

Garage
I got my Fenda Extenda in today and tried to take off my front fender....not happening! There is no way to get the front fender off and out from between the front struts. It is mounted on a brace which I started to loosen but after close inspection determined it still would not allow me to get the fender off. So next I will try to install it on the bike.

So far I am satisfied with what I got...a little pricey but as it is contoured to the fender to almost blend in smooth I will hold my final judgement until it is installed. I can already see that I will need to get a couple of Wide Mouth Clamps to hold it on the 24 hours they want for the glue pads to cure.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...3004/205017713
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 03:37 PM

yea when i got my vulcan s wrapped my friend cracked my front fender trying to get it off !! sucks they made it the way they did
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:10 PM

Garage
I put the Fenda Extenda on my Bike today....pretty simple but dam the "Stickies" are really sticky. I think it looks pretty good and matches pretty close...looks like it will keep the mud and rocks out of my engine and radiator...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FendaExtenda1.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	152897   Click image for larger version

Name:	fendaextenda2.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	152905  
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 01:55 PM

Well I ordered the R & G installed it yesterday. Very simple install; it will do the job; yes it is pricey for what it is, but I figure it will cost less when debris strikes it.
FurEBear and Bubba Zanetti like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode