Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Initial service quote

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  rozie 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, just looking for your opinions on whether the quote was a fair one or not.

For the initial 600mile service I got quoted approximately $200 at my local kawi dealer...does this seem fair? I'm new to motorcycles so not sure what the average rates are and I don't want to get screwed over.

Thanks!

#2 ·
While a little high we paid 169.00 for Patricia's first service. An oil change go over everything, cleaned and lubed and adjusted chain so while a bit of change, worth it to have the dealer lay hands on the bike for the first service.

You need to support a dealer if you want them to support you or even be there to support you.

Not saying hand your wallet to them but they need to make a little service money as they are not making it selling new bikes.

#3 ·
That's about right. If you're a DIY type much of the service items can be done yourself. Dealerships significantly mark up the prices on oil changes, many of us do those ourselves and save a lot of money (and enjoy doing it); but there's a certain peace of mind in having the dealer do that first service and check things over.

#5 ·
Peace of mind is good but just be aware that the dealer cannot deny a warranty claim because you did maintenance yourself instead of a dealer. Some dealers will say that; but the law doesn't allow for it. They would have to prove that a lack of or improperly done maintenance CAUSED the fault.

If it's worth it for convenience and peace of mind, go for it of course! But don't let Dealers convince you that'll you'll void your warranty or have a tough time with warranty claims if you do your own basic maintenance.

#6 ·
As I said I wanted the first to be on the books. After that one the dealer will never see the bike again.

And no they cannot deny you warranty work if you do your own service just keep records. With our phones these days it is so easy to document your work that they really have no case if you are following correct service procedure.

My 2015 BMW R 1200 RTLC was 389.00 bucks for its first service. That was an oil change/filter 4 quarts, and a final drive change at 175 ML of FD oil!

However it was the first and I wanted the Service Stamp so I paid the price and supported my dealer. Again they will never see the BMW again for service even for valve checks as they are pretty strait forward in the new Wet Head. No different then a Air Head really.

Again I see investing in the dealer a bit as who is going to go to bat for you in a warranty claim.

We have the same dealer on both our bikes so there is history and they take care of us for sure.

#9 ·
I will never forget the first time I had service done on my bike. I had bought the bike thinking I would save money using it to commute. Haha boy was I surprised. Nothing cheap about owning a bike.

Reactions: LAF
#11 ·
It's been a while since I bought a new bike but I have bought several over the years and have never paid one cent for the first service. I guess times change. I have a friend with a new HD Ultra Limited and first service was just under 600.00 which is one reason I don't own one. I did take my new to me 08 1500 in for service in August and had Kawi synthetic oil, filter and shaft fluid change as well as checking it over like a first service for 120.00. In hind sight I should have had that included in the purchase price as it costs the dealership very little to do this.

#12 ·
I have a 2015 ninja 650 ... same motor .. 1st service, regular oil ... $80 .... full synthetic $100 , plus tx. $200 is a rip regardless of where you live IMHO. Tell em you like to be kissed first b4 4 they screw you.

#14 ·
I had my first service done 2 weeks ago on my 15 vaquero. I paid $170 bucks for an oil and filter change and had the recall done for the chaffing wire problem under the gas tank. when I looked at my reciept I noticed that they put full synthetic oil in, so I think that was a fair price. I will also be doing my own oil and filter changes after this as I have done with all of my other bikes in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.