Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Upgraded Horn for Vulcan S - WOLO Full Blast (No relays or extra wiring)

34K views 103 replies 39 participants last post by  GREEN HORNET 31 
#1 · (Edited)
Upgraded Horn for Vulcan S - WOLO Full Blast (No relays or extra wiring req'd)

I just upgraded my stock "beep, beep" horn to one with a little more power that is more like a regular car/truck horn. (Big improvement over the stock horn.... only $16 at O'Reilly's or a few $$$less on Ebay.)

It's the "WOLO Full Blast" and was easy to swap out in 15 minutes....no re-wire or relays to worry about. It mounts in the same place as the original horn, and uses the existing two leads and operates using same switch as stock horn. (Make sure the key is out of ignition)

I just removed the stock horn from the bracket, disconnected the two leads, and re-connected to the WOLO. I was able to use the stock bracket by drilling out the hole to accommodate the attachment bolt on the rear of the WOLO horn.

The WOLO is not too much bigger than the stock horn and hangs down just above the bottom of the engine. I've attached a few pics and posted a video from WOLO. You can hear both low and high tone horns at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyYAI_pvGU4

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Glad it helped you sjcurtis. I had to use mine yesterday as a driver switched lanes along side of me....I had my brights on, wearing a yellow shirt, but the horn prevented me from bailing out on the side of the road.

Reactions: sjcurtis
#7 ·
Did the same for both my wife's S and my FJ-09. What a difference!
I was contemplating the stebel air horn for my FJ, but was so pleased with the S install, I bought another for the FJ.

Quick question. I see you have the horn pointed down. I installed my wife's with the horn to the right (I figured most of the time it is to inform cars merging from the right). Any reason to point it down?

Thanks

#8 ·
900darmah,

I pointed it downward thinking it would keep water out of the horn.....you've make a good point about pointing it to the right!

I'll turn mine to the right. What the hell, for $16.00 if it gets too wet, I can always get a new one, and go back to pointing it down. LOL :)

Thanks

Reactions: GREEN HORNET 31
#12 ·
You're welcome "signaler"....this is a great forum to pass information about our new bikes and to promote discussion.

#18 ·
Update...I got my Denali SoundBomb yesterday and put it on today...HOLY COW!..It is louder than my car horn. I can't believe how loud it is. Looks nice to...solid black and bolts right on to the factory bracket. Wires plug in the same and in the same position. Took me about 20 minutes to pull off the old one and install the Denali. I did put some Locktite on the Bolt/nut to make sure it stays there.

When I touch this baby off everyone will take notice....

#23 ·
I like the shinny. Today I was out riding and went to our local park. They have a little train that's goes through the park to give rides. As I was waiting for it to pass the conductor honks his horn and was shocked that mine was louder. All I could do was laugh. The kids on the train were pumping their arms up and down to honk again.:laugh2:

Attachments

Reactions: Zandar
#28 ·
thanks for the information. I installed the WOLO bad boy .. and while beeping at a deer that was jumping out, the horn just STOPPED working. we know the horn itself works (it beeps when attached to a battery) yet we can't find where the connection doesn't work. any ideas before i go to the dealer?
i also wonder if i should get this Full Blast that you suggest?

#29 ·
Did you use a relay to power the horn? If not, you might have a melted wire, or the horn button may be burned out. If you did use a relay, they do go bad, sometimes, or you could have a loose or broken wire or a short.

BTW, that Full Blast horn is not as loud as the Wolo ones that use a compressor. Your Wolo Bad Boy blasts at ~124 db. That's 1 3/4 times as loud (the decibel scale is logarithmic not linear) as the 116 db Full Blast. Once you figure out the problem, I would stick with the Bad Boy and add a relay if you don't already have one.

#30 ·
Just a side question about the Wolo horn. Is there a delay with the sound like I had with conventional air horns? Compressor needed to build up pressure before sound comes out horn.

#31 ·
No, the pressure is supplied on demand. Instant sound. I left the OEM horn working and use the power to it to trigger 2 Wolo horns (one Bad Boy and the other a Bad Boy Max ( I think)) each with their own relay and fused connection to the battery. All 3 sound simultaneously.

In case anyone wants to know, I put the Wolo's one on each side. The left side has 2 frequencies (dissonant so they grab attention better) and the right has a lower 3rd dissonant frequency). I DO get noticed when I blow them. The two 123.5 db horns add up to about 128 total db.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.