Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Kawi Windshield

141K views 219 replies 71 participants last post by  362554 
#1 ·
So I thought i'd start a thread specifically for the windshield. Got the one from Kawi (the lg/17"). It was supposed to come with a "windshield protector" (the strip that goes around the outside edge), but it did not. Husband installed it for me, seemed like a pretty straightforward and simple installation (yes, i helped :)

I don't have but an hour of ride time with it, but so far, I like it. The top of the shield comes to about chin level (I'm 5'7") so i look over it and have good vision . I like that it does not even come close to interfering with my line of sight. I was worried the wind would come over the shield to hit my head, but it does not...it goes over my head and there is no buffeting.

It's going to be a great weekend here so i will get a lot more opportunity to test it out. I will give another report after the weekend both with and without helmet.

And, I like the look of it....simple, clean and classy looking. Will post more photos as i get them.

#83 ·
Yes ! Try Gustafsson Plastics, Inc. in St. Augustine, Florida.

They are superb, and know what they are doing, and the price is around $175.00 maybe less. They have over 4,000 windscreen patterns.

Take a look:

Custom Motorcycle Windscreens ? Gustafsson Plastics

This might be a long distance from where you are, but I highly recommend them.

You can even talk directly to Leif Gustafsson directly by calling 904-824-3443.

He just made a new one for my Vulcan 500 2 months ago.

Tom G

#11 ·
We've both just had our medium-sized Kawi windshields fitted. I'm 5'9" and the wife is 5"2' and we're both finding the wind noise a royal PITA. Curious as to how my wife, who is both sitting low in the bike (low seat option), and is whose head is just about level with the top of her screen, is getting the same wind noise as me on the standard seat and with my whole head above the top of the windshield.

I completed a 120mile journey last night at motorway speeds (75-80mph) and really enjoyed the lack of wind pressure on my chest and the corresponding lack of strain on my arms. I'm going to need some better ear plugs or a super-quiet lid though as I can't put up with the noise.

I've never had a screen on a bike before. Is this par for the course?

#12 ·
My only experience has been with a Givi windscreen on my scooter. Speed didn't matter – the shorter version that I could just see over created so much wind noise it was unbearable. I exchanged it for a taller version which went over my head, so I was looking through the screen the entire time, and it was all quiet. I have to imagine that whether on a scooter at 25 mph or a motorcycle at 65 mph, the one that pushes air over your head is the only one that reduces noise and buffeting.

#13 ·
I installed the Factory Med. on Patricia's bike and she loves it. She is 5'2" tall.

I have to say I am super impressed by the materials and workmanship of the factory shield and hardware. It is very well made. Not handlebar mounted at all. It is on the upper triple tree forks. Solid mounts, and it quick disconnects if you want to take it off.

Well worth the money.

#14 ·
2XSuffolk

Installed the medium windshield several months ago. Overall it works fairly well, but some head buffeting and wind noise at highway speeds can be expected. Hearing protection is always recommended to avoid long term hearing loss associated with the wind noise regardless of whether you are using the windshield. Hope that helps.

Ride safe

#16 ·
I made a windshield out of two 1" bar clamps and a 1999 suzuki bandit zero gravity windshield. This is a picture of that setup but I went back to the kawasaki shop yesterday and picked up a 1993 kawasaki zx6 zero gravity windshield that worked out a hell of alot better but I haven't taken a picture of it yet.

#19 ·
I got some more pictures of the 1993 kawasaki zx6 Zero Gravity windsield mounted to my Vulcan S using two 1" bar clamps and I used some plastic push tabs that are used on automotive bumpers to fill in the bottom four holes. I am really enoying riding the bike and not feeling like the wind is trying to push me off the bike. The windshield is curved just enough to get the wind off of your chest but it still hits me about mid way up my helmet so there is no buffering like with the big stock windshields.

Reactions: Cazzy_R
#112 ·
I got some more pictures of the 1993 kawasaki zx6 Zero Gravity windsield mounted to my Vulcan S using two 1" bar clamps and I used some plastic push tabs that are used on automotive bumpers to fill in the bottom four holes. I am really enoying riding the bike and not feeling like the wind is trying to push me off the bike. The windshield is curved just enough to get the wind off of your chest but it still hits me about mid way up my helmet so there is no buffering like with the big stock windshields.

Dude , the windshield looks sick ! Very nice , I recently purchase a used harley Sportser windshield... But no bar clamps or brackets for it ... Where could I possibly order it ? Many thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Looks really nice.

Pat's liking of the Med. shield went into the toilet today on the way down to her 600 mile service. She said she was getting buffeting, and a lot of wind noise.

So they ordered the Large in which is 17 1/4" compared to the Med. which is 14". We will see. If not we are gonna have to wait for an after market shield. I am sure they are on the way from someone soon.

On another note ordered a Scottoiler for her bike today. They are supposed to be the life saver of chains and sprockets so I am looking forward to installing it next week for her. Big selling point is the lube is "clean" not tacky like chain lubes. And I will not have to buy a stand just to do her chain maintenance. If you never have seen one or heard of them take a look. They said they had a chain go 40,000 miles on their system! You set it for a drop a minuet and it is supposed to keep o-ring chains in excellent shape.

So it is a wash, PitBull rear stand and 10MM spools, 150.00 Scottoiler 150.00.

Will post up once I get it on.

#25 ·
No offense, but it looks like a Goldwing this way. There is a limit to altering your bike IMHO, but what counts is the fact that you like at. So have a lot of fun , since you have the nicest bike there is [emoji6][emoji106]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

#27 ·
It was a tough call to make the change but I use my bike to commute and it had to be practical for everyday use.
I wish I had the funds to afford a Cafe style bike for looks alone.

I do get out on weekends for rides and take the bags off for some freedom, but honestly the shield makes such a difference to riding that I prefer it on.

#29 ·
Kawi Windshield - 2 thumbs down!

:frown2: I had my Kawi Windshield (Large) installed today, and rode about 60 miles with it. The install was part of the deal when I made my purchase.

Rode for an hour at different speeds and I got more buffeting and turbulence from 45 mph/72kph and above, than I did without it. It was not an enjoyable ride. Not only did I get buffeting on my head, but the wind raps around the side and hits my torso making things a bit shaky. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

The top of the windshield hits me just above the bottom of my helmet. (see photo). I imagine that may be contributing to the problem. I had a Honda Valkyrie Interstate in the past that really kept the wind and noise away from the cockpit. Are my expectations too great regarding this problem?

For any of you who have windshields, where does to top of the windshield hit your face? Have you experienced the same problem with turbulence and buffeting?

Any comments/input would be appreciated, especially from those of you with windshields.

Thanks

Attachments

Reactions: Backpack Jack
#30 · (Edited)
I rode 43000 miles on a 900 classic, so my comments are based off of that experience.

First, that does not look like a large, or tall windshield to me. That thing should hit the bridge of your nose so you are looking right over the top of it. You don't appear to be 7 ft tall, but if you are...:wink2:

Second, when you get an actual tall one (that does not look like a tall one to me), you need to get, or make, a set of lowers. That should take care of the buffeting problem.

Good luck.

#31 ·
Thanks KenDawg, I checked and measured...according to Kawi, this is their "large". The medium is 2" shorter.

I'm looking at universal options with a taller windshield. A few folks on this forum have them, and say they get no buffeting.

For now I'll ride without a windscreen....ride is much smother. Thanks for the info on the lowers.

#32 ·
I went with the small Slipstream Spitfire. Takes away the body blast and has no buffeting. I still get wind noise in my helmet as if I have no windshield but it is so much better on the hwy than without it. It has two quick release screws so I can remove it in 30 seconds for around-town cruising on hot days.

#36 ·
Tracks, what is the model number of the Slipstream Spitfire. There seems to be several. Would you post a photo please?

Thanks

#33 ·
I wonder if this buffeting has more to do with the clamping method of the shield?
I noticed the OEM shield is supported at the bottom only. Is there much flex to the shield making it flap or is it just the turbulence after it rolls over the lip of the shield.
This might become one of the changes for '16 model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.