Kawi Windshield - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:38 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2 x 2015 Vulcan S ABS
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: 1 x Matt Black, 1 x White
We've both just had our medium-sized Kawi windshields fitted. I'm 5'9" and the wife is 5"2' and we're both finding the wind noise a royal PITA. Curious as to how my wife, who is both sitting low in the bike (low seat option), and is whose head is just about level with the top of her screen, is getting the same wind noise as me on the standard seat and with my whole head above the top of the windshield.

I completed a 120mile journey last night at motorway speeds (75-80mph) and really enjoyed the lack of wind pressure on my chest and the corresponding lack of strain on my arms. I'm going to need some better ear plugs or a super-quiet lid though as I can't put up with the noise.

I've never had a screen on a bike before. Is this par for the course?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan S ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Imperial Blue / Spark Black
My only experience has been with a Givi windscreen on my scooter. Speed didn't matter the shorter version that I could just see over created so much wind noise it was unbearable. I exchanged it for a taller version which went over my head, so I was looking through the screen the entire time, and it was all quiet. I have to imagine that whether on a scooter at 25 mph or a motorcycle at 65 mph, the one that pushes air over your head is the only one that reduces noise and buffeting.
post #13 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:17 AM
LAF

Year/Make/Model: 2015 BMW R1200 RTWC
Displacement/CC's: 1200
Color: San Marino Blue
I installed the Factory Med. on Patricia's bike and she loves it. She is 5'2" tall.

I have to say I am super impressed by the materials and workmanship of the factory shield and hardware. It is very well made. Not handlebar mounted at all. It is on the upper triple tree forks. Solid mounts, and it quick disconnects if you want to take it off.

Well worth the money.

post #14 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:26 PM

2XSuffolk

Installed the medium windshield several months ago. Overall it works fairly well, but some head buffeting and wind noise at highway speeds can be expected. Hearing protection is always recommended to avoid long term hearing loss associated with the wind noise regardless of whether you are using the windshield. Hope that helps.

Ride safe
post #15 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:55 PM

Thumbs down Returning windshield

The expensive Kawi windshield experiment was a disaster for me. I purchased the large one. I'm 6 feet tall. I read some post re: the buffering. Never imaging it would be that brutal. Really didn't work for me. Returning it this weekend.
canadian.bacon likes this.

Last edited by CharlesVulcan; 08-15-2015 at 07:09 PM.
post #16 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 07:41 PM

I made a windshield out of two 1" bar clamps and a 1999 suzuki bandit zero gravity windshield. This is a picture of that setup but I went back to the kawasaki shop yesterday and picked up a 1993 kawasaki zx6 zero gravity windshield that worked out a hell of alot better but I haven't taken a picture of it yet.

I hate small cars and real big women but somehow I always find myself in them.
post #17 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 08:07 PM
LAF

Year/Make/Model: 2015 BMW R1200 RTWC
Displacement/CC's: 1200
Color: San Marino Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
I made a windshield out of two 1" bar clamps and a 1999 suzuki bandit zero gravity windshield. This is a picture of that setup but I went back to the kawasaki shop yesterday and picked up a 1993 kawasaki zx6 zero gravity windshield that worked out a hell of alot better but I haven't taken a picture of it yet.

Could you give me the name and make of rear lift stand you have there? I really need to get something to stand the bike up strait. Or just tell me what I need for fitment on the Vulcan S?

TIA
post #18 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF View Post
Could you give me the name and make of rear lift stand you have there? I really need to get something to stand the bike up strait. Or just tell me what I need for fitment on the Vulcan S?

TIA
Well it's my old wheel stand from when I had my 636 a long time ago. It's a Harris Racing wheel stand that didn't fit until I made a custom fender eliminator. I think someone said that they have a wheel stand that they use on their S but have to take the tag off when they want to use it.

post #19 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 06:51 PM

I got some more pictures of the 1993 kawasaki zx6 Zero Gravity windsield mounted to my Vulcan S using two 1" bar clamps and I used some plastic push tabs that are used on automotive bumpers to fill in the bottom four holes. I am really enoying riding the bike and not feeling like the wind is trying to push me off the bike. The windshield is curved just enough to get the wind off of your chest but it still hits me about mid way up my helmet so there is no buffering like with the big stock windshields.

Cazzy_R likes this.

post #20 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 07:10 PM

Looks good
sjcurtis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode