Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Exhaust for the Vulcan S?

359K views 593 replies 137 participants last post by  REVulcan 
#1 ·
#10 ·
AHM Racing have released 2 versions for our Vulcan S 650.

Twin pipe option:

2 into 1 option:

The big difference is the 2 into 1 has the tabs welded in to accept the OEM heat shield.

I have contacted Jason from Serdang Moto in Malaysia but they aren't shipping internationally.
I've priced it up to have a courier collect for me, but it's big bucks. I'm trying to find an eco way to ship them here to me in Oz.

#245 ·
AHM Racing have released 2 versions for our Vulcan S 650.

Twin pipe option:

2 into 1 option:

The big difference is the 2 into 1 has the tabs welded in to accept the OEM heat shield.

I have contacted Jason from Serdang Moto in Malaysia but they aren't shipping internationally.

I've priced it up to have a courier collect for me, but it's big bucks. I'm trying to find an eco way to ship them here to me in Oz.

I too manage to contact Jason , everything when well , ship within Malaysia only .

I ordered it ,Coated it with hi temp matte black paint . Use back the stock heat shield & it works like a charm

Will post video of the sound when I get the chance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
There's also these pipes made locally for me from MotoExPro.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kawasaki...89?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e9e1930c1
Again a slip on option however these appear to have a sigle radius bend coming out from the head around to the muffler.
Much better flow but they would stick out forward further than stock pipes.

They're locally available but look a bit cheap for my taste. I also don't like that they don't have screw tabs to use stock heat shield.

#17 ·
I absolutely love my new Vulcan S. I would say the only gripe I have is the exhaust. At WOT it sounds pretty good, but up above 60 MPH I can barely make out any exhaust note because of wind noise ( I wear the new Bell Rogue helmet). I've been looking and there isn't much yet.
The Delkevic doesn't look right to me, I feel like the bike is a fair split between Cruiser & Sport and that doesn't do it justice.
I really like the AHM twin exhaust, but it would be nice if it was broken up a little with black to blend with the bike. And of course it looks like it isn't even available in the states? Maybe if they had enough encouragement they would consider shipping a handful of units here? Whomever has had contact with them could suggest a prepaid group buy.
I looked at the IXIL exhaust and kind of liked the different design. I have seen the facebook teaser that says "Available from June". But, they don't even have a Vulcan S listed in their motorcycle list. So, I contacted IXIL USA and inquired availability and cost shipped to Texas. I got a short email back that it is available and can be supplied through this USA distributor. The cost is $799.00. I'm not sure if that is including shipping, it's all I was told.
The TB exhaust has the right look of sorts. And it does something for the exhaust note, although I'm not very convinced it's for me. Plus, the pricing is on the high side for me. I'm new to motorcycles, but I'm not new to modifying. It's hard for me to justify an exhaust that costs 1/10 of the entire vehicle. Although you have to pay to play.
I think it will be a game of patience as the aftermarket catches up. Which depends on the success of the brand. So we all may just have to wait. I'm near Houston and there's a handfull of good shops here. I'm going to inquire and see what a custom exhaust may cost. If I can come up with something that looks, sounds...and it would be nice to increase something...for under $600.00 then i'll go that route.
Since I'm new to motorcycling does anyone know if a manifold back exhaust requires any injector modification or ECU adjustment? I apologize if this is a dumb question. Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions for muffler brands, etc. that either would look good or would support an underside mount ( narrow, oval, etc.) that I can use as a starting point if I'm going to assemble a custom exhaust. If you have any ideas I don't mind being a guinea pig if things line up right.

#18 ·
I've read feedback about the TB exhaust system tripping the check light. I think it has something to do with back pressure and the oxy sensor. That would be enough to piss me off as there would be the uncertainty if something was really wrong.

I contacted our local Delkevic distributor and they're happy to supply the headers only. I don't like the round carbon muffler they offer and the stainless one is only available in 8" for now. Apparently a stainless 14" is on the way. Otherwise I've been hunting for another muffler option.

I'm not liking some of the sports muffler mods I've seen online. They just look like some weird sports wanna-be frankenbike.

#19 ·
I agree with you. I haven't been impressed with any of the modded exhaust. So Delkevic is willing to sell just the manifold? Did they give any idea of pricing? The Mendel bends of the exhaust manifold are the difficult/expensive parts to try and get fabbed up. If it's possible to buy that premade then it would mostly be picking out a suitable muffler or pipe, likely adding in a Cat, welding in O2 sensor bung(s) (unless the Delkevic mani has the Cat & O2 sensor sorted out) and creating mounting points and/or replacing the heat shield.

Is anyone here familiar with Delkevic? That can attest (or detest) the quality & fitment of their parts? I think their whole exhaust for this bike can be bought for around $450. If the manifold sold for like $200.09 it could be a viable option.

#20 ·
I agree with you. I haven't been impressed with any of the modded exhaust. So Delkevic is n.
Thanks Brandon, you just gave me an idea, i contacted Delkevic and they can sell just the header with co2 bung, basically the kit without the exhaust like you mentioned.

Im most likely going to buy that. Im a welder fabricator, i dont know yet how i want the muffler to be tho.

#26 ·
You deserve the credit Cpt.Evil. You took the initiative to contact a supplier & get the ball rolling. I'm likely going with the manifold option & choosing my own pipe to weld in. I'll let this thread know how it's coming and the cost. Likely by next year or the one after the market will be saturated with options for our bikes. But for now it's about ingenuity.

#27 ·
No worries Brandon.

I'm still waiting to sell my old heapa car before I can shell out anymore dollars on exhaust.

I'm going straight for the Delkevic pipes with the 14" stainless muffler, cotton air filter and power commander V so I can get everything tuned to suit. Might even be able to overcome the check light problem if the O2 sensor alarm is adjustable.

#28 ·
I haven't looked into any engine management or fuel tune. I don't know if it will require it or not. Ironically enough I bought this bike because I'm in the process of parting out my built subaru WRX.

I don't know if it will work the same but if the check engine light will come on due to the lack of a cat & the O2 signal a really cheap fix can be a spark plug non fouler. It pulls the O2 sensor out of the stream and gives it a scavenge effect. Sometimes it can work. I'm just not thrilled with the style of muffler that Delkevic is using.

I was under my bike earlier & in looking at the OEM exhaust, the O2 sensor is downstream of the 2 - 1 merge. So it's an upstream sensor. I didn't look to see if there's a second sensor. But I'm assuming that means the cat is coupled with the OEM muffler in the muffler housing? If that's the case then any CEL that is thrown will be due to lack of back pressure I would imagine. I need to look at it some more.

It also looks to me though that it would be easy to cut the OEM Pipe after the O2 sensor & before the muffler. This would leave an outlet for most any slip on unit that could fit under the bike. And a simple double 45* section would jog you out from under and really any muffler would work.

I still think I'm going to start with the Delkevic header. If I do that then if I ever need to replace the OEM exhaust (such as for a warranty service) then I can. I don't think any other system has larger I.D. Or O.D than the OEM piping. I was told with the Delkevic if you get just the header it ends with exactly 2", so a slip on or pipe needs to mate up to that.

#32 ·
I honestly think there's going to be little in the way of sound difference. It will come down to aesthetic and style.

The Delkevic sound exactly same as the Two Bros.

For me the Ixil is just a carbon fibre clad, straight through version of the OEM car muffler without the heat shields. Not my preference.

#37 ·
I took a plunge & I just ordered the two brothers stainless version. I was doing a lot of research.

Initially I was going to go with the Delkevic header and add my own muffler. I was seriously leaning towards a 2" in/out glasspack & custom tip. Going this route you can get away with a complete exhaust for around $300.00 + welding.

I had settled on a Magnaflow stainless 18" glasspack (that I would have brushed) & a flow master etched brushed/black tip. Pricing it it was going to be around $375.00 for everything.

But, last night I came across an EBAY listing for the Two Brothers system for $529.14. Which is roughly $160.00 off MSRP on the Two Brothers website. I don't know why it's 30% off, but it's from a good standing seller. There were 3 systems available. As far as I know there's still 2 left if anyone wants to try to go get this exhaust system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.