motorcycle hoist - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

motorcycle hoist

Boy are these knees getting old ,hey i know what, im a bit of an engineer ( ie i know a lot of guys that are welders and such) lets build a hois,does any one out there have any plans or pointers for building one? anything would be appreciated

2003 1600 classic,power commander,hypercharger,cobra 2-1,progressive rear shocks,braided front brake lines,barnet clutch with heavy duty spring, lots a chrome.If you goin to do it ,do it to Thmax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmax View Post
Boy are these knees getting old ,hey i know what, im a bit of an engineer ( ie i know a lot of guys that are welders and such) lets build a hois,does any one out there have any plans or pointers for building one? anything would be appreciated
I've seen hoists on the internet. Just Google it. If you still want to fab something from scratch then I'd have no problems helping. PM me for my email address whenever you are ready to start.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Top Contributor

When you say "hoist" that kinda sounds like a winch & chain affair. That would be an interesting avenue to explore.

As far as most economical bike "lift table" Harbor Freight runs theirs on sale every now and then for $350. It's rated at 1500 lbs. Hard to beat that price. I know a few folks that have um. I wish I did, my knees are still struggling with a bike lift (not a table). I got one of those little roller chairs and that helps a lot, but you still have to sit pretty low.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C50T-VN800B View Post
I just sit on the ground and ask my wife to help me up after I'm done. I would need the hoist more for me than the bike.
Ha Lol, I would like one of those myself. I'm going to the Veterans clinic tomorrow for my knee. Probably gonna have to have an MRI since my knee locks up on me if I get in the wrong position with it. My Doc says I have a torn Meniscus whatever that is.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Bulldozer once tried to build a lift in his barn.

Jack *HELP* PLEASE

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Top Contributor

Harbor Freight just had a sale here in the Midwest for $299 and I had a 25% off coupon. Great gaget. Changed out the front tire capture to one of the over center pivot type, also from harbor freight. Works great. I too am on a swivel stool but at normal height. I can only say that I should have done this years ago! Great investment. Found things out about the bike I never saw before. Chain cleaning, bike cleaning, service is all a breeze now. Sign up on line for their online and e-mail sales coupons. It's worth the junk mail for the items that come up that you can really use.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
Bulldozer once tried to build a lift in his barn.

Jack *HELP* PLEASE
@Smedlin: Hahahaa! That was hilarious to me. Bulldozer's good people.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 PM

Using an electric winch

I am looking at putting an electric winch on top of my garage joist. If you try this make sure the joist can hold your bikes weight. I need to find nylon straps that will hold the bikes weight also. On Amazon you can find 110V winches for around $100.00. I havn't finished figuring it all out yet, probably will not get to it until summer now. This is one of the winches I am looking at using.
Neiko Heavy Duty Professional-Grade Electric Cable Hoist - 880 LB with a double line.
Price: $109.70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode