Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Registration fees in Florida

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  RetroBagger 
#1 ·
Hey folks, going to the DMV finally within the next week to transfer the title, get my registration and plate. Does anyone know about how much this will run me? I've looked it up on the DMV website and searched high and low and heard anything from $40-180

#2 ·
Hopefully, some Floridians will chime in to assist you, but until then here is what would happen if you were in Ohio...to hopefully give you some idea as to what to expect...

Take your checkbook...

1) At The Deputy Registrar's office...separate entity from the DMV in Ohio...you will pay two separate charges.
A) Sales tax on the amount you bought the bike for...written on the previous title.
B) The Registrar Fee $40.00(?)

2) At The DMV you will pay
A) State Registration/Tag Fees ($70.00(?) in Ohio)...this amount is contingent on Florida's MV registration scheme. viz. do they prorate?, 1 year, 2 year registration, etc.

The main charge that seems to be most overlooked by folks is the sales tax.

Hope this helps, my friend.

Buskman

#3 ·
B) The Registrar Fee $40.00(?)

2) At The DMV you will pay

A) State Registration/Tag Fees ($70.00(?) in Ohio)...this amount is contingent on Florida's MV registration scheme. viz. do they prorate?, 1 year, 2 year registration, etc.

The main charge that seems to be most overlooked by folks is the sales tax.

Hope this helps, my friend.

Buskman

What county you live in?!? I believe my registrar fee was something $5 or $15 and my tags were $25-30 for my motorcycle.

I'm in Shelby County and I know fees vary by county.

#4 ·
Hey, Phipps...

...Still in Montgomery county, my friend.

After checking my records...I correct my previous post...$16 Deputy Reg. Fee and $50 Reg./Tags at the DMV.

Thanks, Phipps!...you just saved me 44 Smackers. :wink2:

#5 ·
When I did mine last year it was over $100 just for the title transfer and tag. That was cause I had a tag previously. If this is an initial plate, add another $200+. The tax added a couple hundred more. All together it was just over $400.

#6 ·
Yikes! FL is even higher than CA...and I thought CA was higher than a cat's back! Dstiles -- in CA you can jump onto the DMV's website and get the price before you go in. Don't forget the sales tax!!! And what the previous tag cost, particularly if from out of state. As a member of AAA, I can go there and they'll figure it all out for me, do the paperwork, take my hard earned cash (or check...no MC or VISA for DMV stuff) and give me a license plate. I did my prelim online and came up with a figure of $174. We shall see soon how close I am...

Victor

#8 ·
Title transfer is around $75 ($85ish if transferring title from out of state), you'll also need a new plate which is expensive. New car plates are $225, however I'm fairly certain motorcycle plates are less....around $90 IIRC. I think the estimate of $180 is pretty close plus or minus misc fees.

#15 ·
Oops. You are correct, sir. The $225 fee is only for new private automobiles, motor homes, and pickups less than 5,000 pounds.

#10 ·
I just did what you are about to do in Hillsborough. New tag, new registration. Tax included it was $150. I just looked at my bank records and there were 2 charges, one for about $100 and the other for $50. I am pretty sure the $50 was the taxes.

I too tried to calculate how much it would be and was way off.

Hope this helps

#14 ·
Hey, downinthefrontrow -- thanks for the heads up! Mine is coming in from out of state, which might account for part of the additional $56. Personally, I think they just pull a figure out of thin air and go with it!

Victor

#16 ·
#18 ·
Thanks for the report, Dstiles.

I'm sure the future fellow Floridians will be thankful to know what their future fees will financially filter to finally.

Man...I miss the old Sylvester and Tweety cartoons...

http://wordblurg.com/looneytunes/images/Sylvesterntweety.png

P.S. ...Sorry about all that spit on your computer/phone screens after this post...my bad..

#20 ·
Yes we have a personal property tax. Started out as all personal property a person owned. Clothes, furniture, vehicles. Then it morphed into televisions and vehicles. Missouri was one of the few states in the U.S. where no one owned a TV, so they decided to make it vehicle only. And yes, you are right, it can even the playing field in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.