Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2015 Vulcan Classic Stolen

5K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  Buskman 
#1 ·
My 2015 Vulcan Classic was stolen from the front door of a Days Inn in Golden Colorado Thursday evening, February 16th 2017. The VIN:# is JKAVN2D16FAO54082. The bike is black with a green stripe as shown in the picture. I have the title and keys, so the thefts will like try to part it out.

The Colorado Sheriffs department in Jefferson County at 303-271-5606 opened case number 17- 4220 on that date.

If you see anything that might help me get my bike back I would appreciate your contacting me or the Jefferson County sheriffs department.

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
SD: Was there anything distinguishing about your bike? Did you have a special license plate frame on it? Any decals? I doubt it will show this far west, but we'll keep an eye out for it.

#14 ·
how come you didn't answer wild bill's question?

#18 ·
There's four of us that do a fair amount of touring each year and we generally stay in mid-level hotels. Some have been in less than desirable neighborhoods, though I don't know if that makes a difference. Thieves are everywhere! I'm always concerned we will be missing a bike the next morning, so we have a few rules.

1) The room's door must face the lighted parking lot so we can park outside the room. If not, we get permission to park in view of the front desk where the night manager/clerk can keep a watch on them.
2) Included (free?) breakfast
3) Coffee pot in room with extra coffee.

Now, obviously #2 and 3 don't apply to this situation, but #1 does. None-the-less, I installed an inexpensive motion alarm on my Nomad that'll wake the whole hotel if it's jarred. Best $20 I ever spent even if only for peace of mind.

#19 ·
wild bill, for your road trip you can do a couple things, get one of those zena front brake caliper disk locks, because the thoughts of thieves physically picking up your bike and hauling it away is a myth and thieves just do not do that, and park your bike out in the open in public view, thieves like to work on a bike in secret in the dark without being seen and to their mindset time is essential, I mean they don't have much time in stealing your bike, they have to work quickly, so if you can make stealing your bike more effort and more time required, they will move on to something else that's easier

#20 · (Edited)
wild bill, the reason for the front wheel caliper disk lock, is so that a thief will not be able to roll your bike down the block and around the corner to a secluded dark place, like around the back of the building where they can have more time to work on your bike, the idea that your bike will be physically picked up and hauled away is a myth, that will not happen

#21 ·
in the mindset of a thief, when thinking of stealing something, the deed must be done quickly, making time precious, and it must be unseen by anyone, meaning out of sight and out of public view, and in the dark if possible, making light a deterrent to steal, and the theft must be easy to do, making any increased effort on the theft also a deterrent, meaning the more effort you make it for a thief to steal your bike, the less likely they will bother

#22 ·
sorry to the guy who's bike was stolen, but with his bike being on a trailer, the thief found the theft easy to do, just back up and hook on and drive away

#23 ·
the theory of motorcycle thefts goes like this: you have just as much chance of keeping your bike as a thief has in stealing it, all it boils down to is who wants the bike more

Reactions: Preacher824
#24 ·
it's like having a neon sign flashing saying, come take me away, hook up and take me

#26 ·
Btom,

I have a disk lock and inexpensive motion detection alarm that I use when leaving the bike overnight. I figure thieves are lazy and the more I can do to make things difficult for them the better, they are more likely to move on to another item to steal. My guess is they could cut through any lock with a battery powered angle grinder in under 1 min. so having the bike near your room in plain sight as suggested makes a lot of sence.

WB

#28 ·
I have gotten into the habit of locking the forks. I know that's not much but its something.

#30 ·
Watchin' for it here in my area, Stroker Duece...I'm in Ohio. I'm close to the "Crossroads of America" I-75 and I-70.

If it happens to roll my way...I guarantee you, my friend, I will be askin' some questions about it.

I watch CL (that's CraigsList,folks) quite regularly, as well. My span covers as far north as Columbus and as far south as Cincinnati...

If I see any parts from the year and color of your bike and the seller speaks of "Parting Out" or "No/Salvage" title? Rest assured, my friend, I'll be knockin' on some doors.

Thanks for providing the identifying info on it...

Hang in there and keep us all posted..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.