Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Helmet Comfort

5K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  mbarr10 
#1 ·
So I am searching for a new helmet, and curious which helmets you guys find the most comfortable? I know it is probably going to be different for everyone but thought I would inquire anyway. I have tried several brands on and I am frustrated and can't decide. There are a lot of brands on the internet that I can't find locally to try on. I don't want to fork out a grip of cash on something I dread putting on. On the same note I don't want to break the bank either. Something under 3 hundo would be nice and bluetooth. I am looking for full face or modular. I have searched through the forum and read tons of helmet posts, sorry if this is just another one.

#2 ·
Out of my three helmets ( full face, modular ,half ) my hjc is-max 2 modular helmet is my favorite. But a helmet is really a personal taste item. What one person like's then next person might hate. You pretty much have to try them on your self and see what is the most comfortable and you like the looks of the most.

#3 ·
Most of the "plush" ones are pricey. I.e. Arai, Shoei, Schuberth, etc. Sometimes you can find good deals on closeout though.

For good bang for the buck, look into HJC. FG-17, SY-MAX III

But it's going to come down to personal preference. What is comfy to you might be painful to someone else. For instance, I hate how Shoei fits. But I know guys who love them.

Reactions: Kiddrock24
#10 ·
I have used a Bilt touring half helmet for 3 years now. The helmet is good, but not great. I have dropped it on concrete 3 times now and there is not one scratch on it. My main thing is the fit. It fits okay, I just think it's a bit loose. I wear a large and when I put it on I can get front and back wiggle. Not allot but just enough that it can move up my forehead under heavy wind conditions. I think a great helmet would be snug so that you would have no wiggle. As far as protection, all DOT helmets have to meet minimum specs. The more expensive models may or may not exceed those specs.

#12 ·
You should REALLY think about a new helmet!!! First cause of the 3 falls. Just because it looks fine on the outside, doesn't mean the EPS foam is not damaged. It's the foam that absorbs the impact and protects your head. Second, the loose movement. If wind alone can move the helmet, a crash could pull it off the front and expose your head or slide it back and damn near decapitate you with the strap. You need a lid that fits properly. Here is a good sizing guide. The Retention Check is what your current lid would probably fail.

#13 ·
You should REALLY think about a new helmet!!! .
+1

The fit alone is reason to replace it.

The drops are less of a concern. Snell Foundation - Helmet FAQ

But, with three years use, a poor fit and several impacts; I'd figure I got plenty of use out of it and upgrade.

Scott

#5 ·
Bilt is an extremely cheap brand, and my personal recommendation is they are *ok* for stuff like rain gear- but I would not buy a helmet. Honestly, I would save up for a better helmet than spend instant cash on one not as good. I have a Nolan N104. I had and old N102 for years and it worked really well for me so I stuck with the brand.

#14 ·
Some good articles if you haven't seen them before:
Motorcycle Helmet FAQ - webBikeWorld
Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

I've attached a Bluetooth set to several different helmet styles: 3/4, full face (regular and dual sport), and modular. Some took a little longer and a little more fiddling, but I haven't had one yet that I couldn't make work.

Right now I have a modular and a full face dual sport helmet. Best bet is to try on as many as possible and find what works for you. Good luck.

#15 · (Edited)
See if you can find a Nolan. I have two of them and love them Model N43 which is totally modular from Full face to open to just the shield. Their sound system is as good as Bose speaker system and that should say allot and it is their own sound system that does not hang off a helmet but built in. They have many models available in all styles and colors.

Here is what you can do with Bluetooth and the Nolan system
Hook up and answer cell phone
Bike to Bike
Intercom with passenger
FM radio
Hook up Ipod or anything else blue tooth and listen to your music such on a GPS also if you have a Bluetooth GPS and will give you voice directions by cutting in and out as needed.
The battery lasts me about 10 hours on a charge and takes about 6 hours max to charge. Can be charged through 110 volts household and car charger.
You have full contol on system though three buttons on the left side of helmet.

I use a Garman LM660 and listen to my tunes on that and have over 2000 songs on my GPS with awesome sound.

The inner liner is replaceable also.

I love my Nolan's have two of them and would not exchange them for any other make. Just amazing.

#17 ·
Sweet thanks for all the suggestions. Would you ever consider a used helmet? My friend has an Aria that he has used for about a year, still in good condition. New it is about 4 hundo he wants 150 and has a scala rider that would come with it. I am a little iffy on a used helmet for many reasons but wondered what your take is?

#19 ·
Check out the model of the scala; that's probably worth most of what he's asking.

For me; it would have to be a close friend; and I'd have to be confident in the history of the helmet. No crashes of course and treated well.
Consider the age and look into the cost of replacing the foam cheekpads and liner.
Other than that, if you buy a helmet and wear it for six months; it's used...right?

Scott

#22 ·
I agree with Scott_in_TX. I'd have to trust this friend with my life. Which Arai model is it? From the price range you've described, it sounds like a Defiant or Vector 2.

#24 ·
Love that helmet. Hate the visor.

#25 ·
Lid Picker has some free info that might help you find a helmet that fits well. They compare a number of helmets based on round vs oval heads. If you find a helmet that fits well, but you don't like some of the features or lack thereof, you might be able to find a helmet with a similar fit, but with features you want from these lists.

Compare the shape and size of motorcycle helmets by brand and model ? The Lid Picker

#26 ·
I have a couple of half helmets and one skull cap.

#27 ·
Back in 2002 I was wearing a Shoei RF800. I high-sided off the bike, the visor flipped up, my glasses flew out, I had gravel in my mouth. I walked away with some pins and wires still in my shoulder. The front forks of the bike got bent taking out a 4x6 sign post. The helmet now sits on a shelf with a major abrasion/dent/crack on the side. At that point I said I would only wear Shoei. There are other good helmet manufacturers, but it was a Shoei that probably saved my life.

I bought a Shoei Neotec in 2010. As it was six years old just recently and technology has come so far I just bought a new Shoei Neotec. They aren't the cheapest. To some extent you get what you pay for. Shoeis run a bit round, so if your head tends toward the oval you will likely have to have some special padding added/removed. Once you have worn it for a few hundred miles it will break in some.

My brother rides with a half-helmet. I tease him he needs a half-helmet for half a brain - little brothers can tease big brothers, right? :)

The other reason to periodically get a new helmet even though it does not show wear and tear is just the aging of material, whether it be the foam core of a helmet, the paint or roof on a house, or whatever. If your helmet sits in the hot weather all summer or cold weather all winter that can break down the integrity of the materials.

Remember, you may need that helmet to save your life.

Just my $0.02.

#28 ·
I'm glad you were okay Rob! I haven't tried a Shoei on yet but may tomorrow. I tried on some Bell's and HJC's today. The Bell's I didn't like the fit so much but the HJC's fit pretty well. I have a few other brands to try but am slowly narrowing it down.

#30 ·
A few months ago I had a hard time finding a helmet to fit my head shape. My last one (HJC) was 10 years old. It was still in good shape but after 10 years I figured it was past time for me to treat myself to better protection. I tried to go by measuring charts and found that most run on the small size. I tried different brands and found some dug into my forehead and others would squeeze my temples like a grape.

I was looking for an open face so my options were less than if I had been looking for a full face. after trying 7 helmets I found the Scorpion CT220 fit me comfortably. It has good reviews and is rated well. Scorpion is known for their helmets used in extreme sports so I feel confident with the construction.

I went through Revzilla. they allowed me to order helmet after helmet and even paid the return shipping when each didnt fit. My last was a batch of 3 that I bought and sent 2 back keeping the scorpion. They suggested I buy the 3 and so I could compare them side by side instead of trying one and a few days later trying another as I had been doing. they refunded me quickly and without any hassle.

The moral of this is to take your time, find the best fit for you not just the best brand. If you get one that you are not comfortable wearing you may skip out on wearing it.

#31 ·
I have an HJC Symax Iii modular, good helmet for the money. I added the pin lock shield which prevents fogging.

For me bluetooth is a must. I do a lot of back road riding and plan my routes using a GPS app i run from my phone, not uncommon for there to be 30 intersection turns on a ride so hearing the turn by turn directions is very important. In addition to the gps, i can play music and make phone calls if needed, hands free siri can be handy at times too, "siri where is the nearest gas station"

For bluetooth I have a now older model SMH-10, and use active noise cancelling ear buds. The sena will pair with many other brands of bluetooth head sets. Sena has be great.

I am going to check out the new sena smart helmet when it hits the market https://www.sena.com/product/noise-control-helmet/

WB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.