Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

A Fairing for my Nomad: please advise

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ltjhaupt 
#1 ·
Hi Friends, well I'm pleased to tell you I bought my new bike on Saturday.
A 2002 Vulcan 1500 Nomad fi with 12,000 miles on it, delivered the 65 miles to my house for 3500 bucks.
I'm very pleased, and this old coot is signed up for two safety and advanced riding courses for the end of April.
I'm posting a photo of it, and I need some advice.
Where and how can I get a nice batwing style fairing for it? I don't care about music, unless I could find a USED matching Quadzilla fairing... But how and where do I start to look? Used first of course. Also any info on how to get it painted if needed. However I think that a simple black would look fine, please advise, thanks, pete
peterputnam@hotmail.com

#3 ·
As far as painting, I'm more of a DIY guy and would prefer to do my own (so I could repair small scratches later, or even just repaint from time to time). If there are no cracks in it, you may be able to get Duplicolor or the like and do it yourself. Wash and dry it, sand it with 1000 grit (or maybe even scuff it with a light scotch brite pad to take the glossy off), clean it real good with a pretreating wipe and tape off the glass, then prime it....wait the recommended time, and paint it. If there are gouges in the plastic, bondo those....don't try to finger sand them because you'll see them afterwards.

I did my whole bike in my garage with drop cloths and blankets spread over everything. In fact, I didn't even bother with the primer since I used a satin camo boat paint that already went on pretty thick.

#4 ·
#8 · (Edited)
I got one from USA Trailers. Not bad but I don't really have much to compare to. Good quality. Had to make my own mounts which was really too easy. For $229.00 its a good faring.
I guess the biggest issue would be mounts. If you get one that also has mounts available then you might be better off that way. For all I know mounts from another faring might work with this one. It should. However, me being me I went to Lowes and bought 2 different sizes of pipe hangers and made my own with them. It doesn't look homemade at all. In fact I think they are less conspicuous than any mount I've seen.

#10 ·
Great, you inspired me that maybe even me, Mr Un-Handyman, can do it...!! Man, if you buy the mounting kits, just the things you mentioned, they charge you big bucks. You got yours WITH stereo and speakers in it or put them in later? Anyway, yours looks real nice. I wanted the all black one but the one I found for my budget, under 4 grand was red and black

#11 · (Edited)
No it just had the holes. I went the 4 5 1/4 speaker option. Not sure if that was the best idea yet but it sound decent.
Yeah I was not wanting to drop a lot of bucks into a used bike. So when I saw it for 229.00 I went for it. No regrets. The mounts was easy but it took me a while to figure out what/how to do. I actually bought some expensive pipe hangers from Grainger. They had rubber lining but I couldn't make them work. So I went to Lowes and found these for a couple of bucks each. I then had to cut the long(length) threaded nut things to fit. I got them from Tractor supply and used a sawzaw to cut them to fit. I coated the inside of the pipe hangers with plasti dip.
I don't have a pic on me where everything is cleaned up and coated to prevent rust.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.