Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Help needed: pricing

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Peputnam@100 
#1 ·
Friends, I can buy a 2002 1500 vulcan Nomad for 3500 delivered, it's quite supposedly in very good condition, here, I'll send along the link, but I know very little about the values of these bikes,
Please advise if you think this is a decent price:
https://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/5911631552.html

#8 ·
Hide cash in car and act disappointed,then check oil,high or low? Color and smell of it, ride it to atleast operating temperature. Then let sit and idle for a bit,listen for any pops,tapping,knocking,check all lights,brake,turn, running,after that shut off and offer several 100 less than worth..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Everytime I buy something like this used I try and see where it would normally park and check for oil leaks. I know it's not a car but I normally try and look to see how the keep the inside of the cars. Also leaks under them. You can also try and do a vin report.

#5 ·
Should be no problem with the paper work if he has a clean title. Look the bike over for general condition, scratches and dings, filthy engine and frame, worn out brake pads, all point to lack of maintenance. Take it for a short ride and make sure it shifts okay, clutch doesn't slip, drives straight down the road without pulling to one side. Tires still have tread? It would be nice if you have heard one run before. They are always noisy, so that shouldn't scare you away, unless it's noisier than others like it.
Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

#7 ·
Price seems fair. The bike is almost 15 years old and only has 15k miles, so it is safe to assume that it sat for periods of time. so be sure to look it over from top to bottom like others have said.

The ad says that the tires only have 500 miles on them. The number of miles is less important than how old they are. If they are over 5 years old they are probably due for replacement. Check the date of manufacture. Look on the sidewall of the tire for the DOT symbol. Follow the line of text and numbers after the DOT symbol until you reach the end. The last 4 digits give the age. The last 2 digits give the year of manufacture and the preceding 2 digits give the week. For example, the code 2215 means that the tire was made in the 22nd week of the year 2015.

Make sure that the registration and title are in order. As far as carrying that much cash to a stranger in a strange place, I am kind of wary. Meet at a police station or at a bank for safety. Maybe only bring $500 and a receipt showing a cash deposit at your bank for the balance.

#9 ·
I saw on another post that you purchased the bike. I think you got a great deal. It appears to be well taken care of from what I can see. How do you like it so far?

#10 ·
Yes I got it and I'm pleased. It does need some work which it's getting right now.
Needs to be really scrubbed and detailed well. I bought a Vector bat wing fairing, chrome rails for over the side bags and a chrome sissy bar luggage rack, so should look really nice in a while. Thanks, it's not registered nor do I have a license yet (been 35 years since I last rode) so I'll find out end of April, but a friend took it out and says it ran real nice, pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.