LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Victory Motorcycles Ceases Production

Victory Motorcycles cease production as American giant winds down much-loved brand - Mirror Online

Polaris will continue to support Victory Motorcycles for 10 more years; but will not be producing any new models. That's a good credit to a company like Polaris who is diverse enough with other brands to be able to continue to support the product; if Victory was still a standalone country it'd be belly-up leaving owners holding the bag.

Still, always a shame to see a brand like that go down. Competition is a good thing; and anything that keeps all of the big motorcycle brands on their toes, innovating, means a better product for the consumer. I was surprised at just how poor their figures were. One source said they sold just 10,000 motorcycles worldwide in 2016. In the U.S. alone (the 10k was a WORLDWIDE figure), we buy about 460,000 bikes a year give or take. To think of how poorly 10,000 worldwide sales is... wow!

If you've got one now, I'd hang on to it for a couple of years! It'll be a niche-favorite cult-hit for sure.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Top Contributor

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Victory bikes no longer will be made. Wasn't aware that their sales figures were so poor. Agree that competition is good for any product, including motorcycles.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
oh look,
you got a pic of a dragon in red
looks like the devil
and your posts?

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:56 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Blue Silver
Indian sales have been very good and Victory sales declined. Now word how this will effect our town of Spirit Lake, where both brands are made. Nothing has been said about layoffs.

Dave Petrick
Vulcan Nomad 1600
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:23 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan S
Color: Ebony
hmmm. wonder if that means heavy discounts on Victory Octanes?
Lmhawk01 likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliswell View Post
hmmm. wonder if that means heavy discounts on Victory Octanes?
Victory said they will be "working with dealers to transition away from the Victory brand and liquidate existing stock". Which to me sounds like incentives, incentives, incentives. If you're wanting a Victory, NOW is the time to buy new. There won't be another one built, and they clearly aren't selling well (if they were, they'd be making more of them. Make sure to remind the dealer of that when they inevitably tell you "These are really popular, if you don't buy it now someone else will tomorrow"), Dealers are surely going to be wanting to offload their stock as they make that transition away from the Victory brand. And Victory will surely back them up with discounts, incentives, financing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
Indian sales have been very good and Victory sales declined. Now word how this will effect our town of Spirit Lake, where both brands are made. Nothing has been said about layoffs.
There will not be any more Victory motorcycles built; period. And I can't imagine that it'll take the same number of employees to keep the parts manufacturing side of things going (they'll be making parts for the next 10 years). Hopefully, for their sake, they'll be moved over to the Indian side. I'm glad to hear there hasn't been word of layoffs just yet.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white
The problem with Victory was always aesthetics. A few years ago, some friends and I were riding and on a stop we were chatting bikes. A Victory pulled up to get gas, and immediately everyone started talking about it. At issue seemed to be the overemphasized arch to them giving them a top-heavy appearance and the disproportionate -looking size of the jugs. Out of six of us that day, only one of us thought the Victory was a visually appealing bike. And unlike most cruisers, few Victory models lend themselves to accessorizing for touring. The general consensus seems to be that either you love them or can't stand them. I, unfortunately, am in the latter camp. I didn't mind the Vegas models, for what they are, but I just couldn't get into the design of most of them. Judging by sales, I'd guess I'm not alone.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 AM
BOTM Winner
October 2015

Year/Make/Model: Classic
Color: Red / Silver
Garage
Victory has not been getting their share of the pie. Now actually might be a good time to buy one. I like the Cross Country Tour.

Go ride? NW Chicago suburbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan VN1700 LT
"Metallic Imperial Red / Metallic Titanium"
VBA Member 2908
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:13 PM

Year/Make/Model: Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: red
Garage
A friend of mine had the swoopy one with the 6' long saddlebags. He opened one up and it looked like it would hold maybe a 12 pack of beer at best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
oh look,
you got a pic of a dragon in red
looks like the devil
and your posts?

Getting rid of cultural myopia helps! Red dragon - Y Ddraig Goch - national symbol of Wales. Also am not into numerology mumbo-jumbo!

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode