Victory Motorcycles Ceases Production - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick's1500 View Post
The problem with Victory was always aesthetics. A few years ago, some friends and I were riding and on a stop we were chatting bikes. A Victory pulled up to get gas, and immediately everyone started talking about it. At issue seemed to be the overemphasized arch to them giving them a top-heavy appearance and the disproportionate -looking size of the jugs. Out of six of us that day, only one of us thought the Victory was a visually appealing bike. And unlike most cruisers, few Victory models lend themselves to accessorizing for touring. The general consensus seems to be that either you love them or can't stand them. I, unfortunately, am in the latter camp. I didn't mind the Vegas models, for what they are, but I just couldn't get into the design of most of them. Judging by sales, I'd guess I'm not alone.
I'm not particularly a huge fan of the way they look; but they are remarkably well balanced bikes.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I'm not particularly a huge fan of the way they look; but they are remarkably well balanced bikes.
I don't doubt it. I sat on one in a dealership and I tipped it from side to side to see how quickly it wanted to fall and it was remarkably stable compared to say a Yamaha 1600, or even my own bike. I just can't get past the looks.

I was always that way with women, too. Call me Shallow Hal! LOL
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Premium Member
BOTM Winner
June 2016

That's a shame. they made a great affordable cruiser, though I was never a fan of the rear brake light integrated into the fender that way. They even had Arlen Ness on board to fancy that thing up. I think maybe it was an American cruiser in a Harley-dominated field. Hard to shine through that.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:31 AM

Garage
I for real liked the clean-ness of the engine. No other manufacturer hid the wiring, linkages, intake, and hardware like victory. The above picture shows what I am talking about. I also sat on each an every one at the dealer and liked the ergonomics of them. In my town polaris gets a bad rap. Not sure why......

-2006 Yamaha Stratoliner XV1900, 9k miles.
-2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 12k miles, Planning a Blue Collar Bobber Build.
-2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2k miles, Showroom Condition.
-2008 Kawaskai Vulcan 900 Classic LT, 7k miles, Purchased to get xtra accessories.
-2009 Yamaha V-Star 950 Touring, 1k miles, Showroom Condition
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:48 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Blue Silver
Local media is reporting that, at present, there will be some job losses, here in Spirit Lake. All Indians will be assembled here. Temporary help will be reduced/eliminated . Indian and the Slingshot are reported to be selling well.

Local News: Polaris announces end of Victory Motorcycle line (1/9/17) | Dickinson County News

Dave Petrick
Vulcan Nomad 1600
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Well I think it may be my fault! I started looking at a possible new ride two on my top short list were the HD Vrod and Victory Octane. HD discontinued the Vrod line in Sept and now Victory. Perhaps some kind of curse, I won't mention the others on my list because at this rate Vespa may be the only 2 wheel vehicle left.

WB
badkelly likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:39 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Grey (for now)
Garage
You can't blame Polaris... they are in the business of making money and that doesn't mean just in the US. I'm not sure how far Polaris went with international advertising or sales but i don't think any would argue the fact that Indian is much longer standing brand and reputation. They looked at the potential for each and decided to go with the one that could make them more money with less investment. Indian Motorcycles already has world wide recognition compared to Victory. At the international market it was an easy decision for them to make. Money makes the world go round.... sad but true...

Current stock:
2011 Vulcan Vaquero
2000 Vulcan Classic (800) - Bobber Project
1978 GS750
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN 1500E7
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: green over white
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEvulcan View Post
You can't blame Polaris... they are in the business of making money and that doesn't mean just in the US. I'm not sure how far Polaris went with international advertising or sales but i don't think any would argue the fact that Indian is much longer standing brand and reputation. They looked at the potential for each and decided to go with the one that could make them more money with less investment. Indian Motorcycles already has worldwide recognition compared to Victory. At the international market, it was an easy decision for them to make. Money makes the world go round.... sad but true...
Yes, but having shut down twice already, there is no guarantee Indian will be around all that long, either. I'm not sure what the market is for bikes in the 18 to 26k range, but as of 2016, Indian had enjoyed an annual 18% or so sales increase from each year before since 2011, and had put a serious dent in the HD market. But then again, the article I read said Polaris had managed to stop the bleeding with the Victory line, too, as of may last year. I hope they can make a go of it. The motorcycle market is nothing if not a bit finicky. Worldwide, not that many countries besides the US and Canada buy that many cruiser type bikes 900CC and over. I love the Cruiser style, but I can't justify paying more than I paid for a two-year-old Nissan Altima with 18k miles on it for a vehicle I can only ride about 6 or 7 months a year and just sits in the garage the rest of the time. Most metric manufacturers have moved on from the big bore classic cruiser styling and are producing bikes that aren't all that appealing to me. I'll just keep patching mine up as time goes by, I guess.

8 Reasons Indian Motorcycle Is Beating Harley-Davidson -- The Motley Fool
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick's1500 View Post
Yes, but having shut down twice already, there is no guarantee Indian will be around all that long, either. I'm not sure what the market is for bikes in the 18 to 26k range, but as of 2016, Indian had enjoyed an annual 18% or so sales increase from each year before since 2011, and had put a serious dent in the HD market. But then again, the article I read said Polaris had managed to stop the bleeding with the Victory line, too, as of may last year. I hope they can make a go of it. The motorcycle market is nothing if not a bit finicky. Worldwide, not that many countries besides the US and Canada buy that many cruiser type bikes 900CC and over. I love the Cruiser style, but I can't justify paying more than I paid for a two-year-old Nissan Altima with 18k miles on it for a vehicle I can only ride about 6 or 7 months a year and just sits in the garage the rest of the time. Most metric manufacturers have moved on from the big bore classic cruiser styling and are producing bikes that aren't all that appealing to me. I'll just keep patching mine up as time goes by, I guess.

8 Reasons Indian Motorcycle Is Beating Harley-Davidson -- The Motley Fool
This is true - we Americans are gluttons for big bikes, because we can. Many countries tax and license based on engine size. I'm pretty sure that in the UK, your annual taxes are engine-size based, and I thought I read somewhere that either they or the Germans require different licensing for bigger bikes. Makes that 1700cc big bike harder to justify when it costs so much extra.

I also agree about the spending - knowing I wouldn't get to ride whatever new bike I got every day, I picked a monthly payment I wouldn't consider a total waste during the rainy/snowy months, and stuck to it. This limited me in what I was gonna buy, and in the end, I'm happy with my Vaq.

-John

2016 Vaquero
2005 VN800B
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 PM

Garage
Yeah have to agree the cruiser market has a ceiling. If my knees didn't swell from arthritis on occasion I'd stick with a sport bike. The Voyager is comfortable touring two up with lots of storage. I doubt I'll buy another.
Kids these days don't seem interested in I.C. Engines. Environment issue? So the world turns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode