Make that cheap Jack/Lift fit! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Make that cheap Jack/Lift fit!

I recently bought a Torin jack off of craigs list. Build quality is so so similar to what I have seen on the harbor freight steel jack for around $90. I have a 900 custom.

A few issues with these cheap jacks.
1) The lifting rails are too short. You can just get the jack to reach from one side of the frame to the other. A good bump and the bike could get pushed off the jack.

2) The 900 engine dips below the frame tubes so the flat lifting rails are actually lifting the bike by the engine and not the frame.

Solution. I added some scrap hardwood strips to extend the rails and provide a gap for the engine so that the jack would be lifting the bike by the frame and not the engine.

Next issue now the jack is too high to fit underneath the bike.

Solution. I made a small ramp (8"-10" long ) out of a 2x6 scap. Run the front tire up on the ramp and use another small scrap 2X4 or 2x6 to go under the kick stand. Problem solved the jack fits under the frame!

If you use one of these cheap jacks be sure to use tie downs as these stands are not all that steady. Also if you are doing anything like removing the rear wheel or rear wheel and swing arm like I did recently, be sure to put blocks under the front wheel. The front of the bike will want to tip forward when the rear tire is removed. It could get very ugly if the bike and jack etc. tip forward/over.

WB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	180106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	180114  
Du-Rron likes this.

Last edited by Wild Bill; 12-29-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:59 PM

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Dark Burgundy metal flake
I just finished building one like this
Using this link for measurements.
Simple Wood frame Jack
tom4cycling likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

R5

I have one of those simple jacks which is great for oil changes etc.. For jobs like removing the rear wheel you need something to get the bike higher. Also bear in mind that on some bikes (VN900) the engine case is lower than the frame so much of the weight/ stress in on the engine case instead of the frame when this type of jack is used, I don' think that is a big deal for an oil change etc. as the rear wheel supports some of the weight.

WB

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:38 AM

Thanks for sharing this informative post.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:09 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
WB, I have an old jack like the one in your picture, bought it from Sears but I'm sure made by same people, but the jack does not stay up anymore but slowly drops down, is there a fix to these bottle jacks? I see that there's 2 slot head screws on the bottle jack, 1 screw is recessed and the other 1 is extended but has a little red cap on it that says Do Not Adjust. What do you recommend on how to get my jack working again.

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Btom,

Bleed the bottle jack, watch this video.

PS try the first step without turning the jack upside down, this will fix most issues.

If this does not work you can try draining and replacing the fluid, there is most likely a rubber plug on the side of the jack.

WB

Last edited by Wild Bill; 01-06-2017 at 09:28 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:21 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
WB, I want to check the oil level on my jack first, and looking at my craftsman jack like you have, there's 2 slot-head plugs on the bottom of the bottle jack, one is recessed and the other plug protrudes out a bit and has a red plastic cap that says Do Not Adjust, so which plug is the oil filler plug? maybe my jack is low on oil

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Btom

Unless there is a visible oil leak or the bottle jack was turned on its side oil level is most likely OK. Did you try the first step? Just open the valve (as if you are lowering the jack) leave it open and pump the jack 50 + times. The close the valve and try the jack under extending it all the way. Then see if you can push it down with your weight, if it moves repeat the process, may need to do this a couple of times to get all the air out.

There are no adjustments on my jack. The oil fill hole is covered by a rubber plug, which is painted, you can just pry the plug out. Looks something like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iGrJuViae5...0/100_2519.JPG
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
WB, it was never on its side and no oil leaks, so based on what you told me now, I just pressed and held the lowering valve (as if to lower the jack) and kept it pressed in while I pumped the jack about 99 times, then I closed the valve and pumped up the jack almost all the way up, then I stood on it with my weight and it stayed up, so now I got a 20 lb. tool box on it and left it there, I will check tomorrow morning to see if the tool box went down any, oh and I see the rubber plug on my jack after looking at your picture where it's at but I didn't touch it

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
oh, and I wonder if my craftsman floor jack ever needs fluid changes, I bought it in 2005 and never changed the fluid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode