Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Looking for a bike, please

3K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  colemantle 
#1 ·
Hi folks, greetings - I'm so glad this forum exists! I am a Massachusetts Public school teacher in my 60s who's about to get a bike for a retirement present to myself. I haven't ridden in around 30 years and I'm a bit nervous so I'm gonna spend the money and take a bunch of riding /safety classes. Now my budget is small, but so are my needs as I'll be a weekend warrior on occasion and I've decided I want a Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero or Voyager either 1500 or 1600 or 1700, but not TOO heavy, and I definitely want a bat wing style fairing, AND with hard side bags, and old enough to have the price down around 3500 bucks =/-or thereabouts. So I'm new here and I assume I'll have to post this on a few of the threads/sections here to get maximum exposure. Friends, please advise....! Thanks so much and happy holiday season to you all!! pete

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Forum! I hope you find what you are looking for, but just a quick search here in Colorado Springs I can see it will be tough to find a Vaquero or Voyager in that price range, at least a decent one that does not need some work. Since your going to be a weekend warrior, and may not be going on many long trips, I would recommend you consider the Vulcan 900 or similar. You can find real nice ones in that price range, they are not heavy, and have more power then you would expect. I come from a long line of Sport Bikes, and of course the 900 won't keep up with a 1,000 CC Sport Bike, but it does what it needs to do for my needs, I enjoy it and I am not a super light weight, I'm 220 lbs. I am sure there is a large supply of hard bag kits for these bikes you can pick up to meet your requirements. Just food for thought! Good luck on your search and keep us posted.

#3 ·
You might want to consider a Nomad. Mid 2000 models should be in your price range. Comes with hard bags and windshield, you'd have to add a fairing unless you find one that already has one, but you might be surprised how well the windshield works. Considerably lighter and easier to handle than the Vaquero or Voyager, plenty of power.

#4 ·
I got back into riding in 2008 after about 25 years with a 900 Classic LT. I would still have it today if I didn't get into long distance riding. It's nimble with plenty of power, has leather bags (though a little small), windshield, floor boards and more. I agree with wphillips1979, if you're intended use is "weekend warrior" I would look seriously into the 900. Even if you do decide to do some long distance traveling, this bike will do it. I logged 4 long trips while I had it. Two at just over 1000 miles, one at 3100 and the fourth at 3800.

#5 ·
Thanks folks so much, have already altered my search now. Will be looking more for Nomads or Vulcan 1500s but maybe someone has customized a batwing fairing on to one. See, I really love the fairing on the Harley street glides that turn with the wheel and headlight, so we'll see. The street glide, even early 2000s is so damn expensive plus my harley friends are such unbearable snobs..!lol Yeah my last bikes 35 years ago were 900s etc, so now I want a big comfy livingroom-like fat comfy seat harley-looking thing that doesn't have to be fast particularly, so the search goes on. Possibly someone has customized a fairing like that onto a 155 or a nomad, but I might be fine with the cheaper looking clear plastic ones if not, thanks again, pete

#31 ·
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/73-wrench-heads/245546-introducing-noglide.html

Funny you should mention a fairing on a Nomad.

To the OP: Anyways I did the same, back into riding after close to 30yrs. Jumped on a '08 900 LT and never looked back, still have it and love it. It was a great bike to get back into it with. So I suggest before making plans for long trips you get something smaller like the 900 just to get back in the game first and get comfortable with it. then move up to what ya need for the long haul. I did that too and bought an old EG Classic, turned 25 yrs old last week. The Evo era harley are the best you can get for the money, and you get your Batwing Fairing. Simple technology and run forever. And you don't have to become snobby like your Harley friends, LOL. Let's change that perception one person at a time please. I started the motion, now your IT. (Taps shoulder) And FYI, I have just as much $ into the Glide as I do in the 900. I go on many ralley's each year and a few longer vacations. I have no issues jumping on either one for any event. They each have their place in my world. Good luck on your decision.

And also there are many aftermarket fairing vendors for pretty much whatever you want. You can get em with bolt on kits. Here's a few pics from my collection of Nomads with fairings. I was a bit obsessed with the idea myself once upon a time. And you can also see what I did to my 900 for extra storage in my sig pic.

Attachments

#7 ·
I got back to riding after a fourteen years away from it. I got very lucky and found a 2004 Vulcan Classic in perfect condition with only 20,000 miles on it. I find the machine nimble and quick enough for my old bones. Great weekend ride and wonderful if you have a passenger and want to go on a weekend excursion. Welcome to the forum and let's hope you find what you are looking for.

#12 ·
Hi, nice pic, just wanted to know if you're selling it or just making folks jealous?? Lol... Yeah, seriously, that's pretty much what I'm looking for. So is the bike model called a vulcan nomad? and how many CCs is it and what does it weigh roughly? thanks oh yeah and if you ARE selling it, how much, where are you and please post or better yet Text more fotos, thanks, pete 413-429-1591

#11 ·
welcome...I'd consider a nomad...if you find a 1999, avoid It, however, as that year had a nasty flaw, a plastic oil gear (POG) which fails and will ruin the entire engine....That aside, the nomad excels in many ways: low rpms in top gear on highway....No valve adjustments...plenty of power.....Superb good looks and so on..

#13 ·
Welcome! Fairly new here myself, but how about some past history of your riding experience? You mention you don't want anything too heavy, and I recently bought a 2009 Vulcan nomad 1700. My first bike is a slightly heavy sport bike and I can promise you the Nomad is almost 2x as heavy. The noticeable differences are launching from a stop, coming to a complete stop and cornering at low speeds. My primary purpose for my 1700 is two up riding. Are you anticipating on riding two up? If not, I would definitely recommend the 900 LT classic over the Nomad(I test rode both). You can easily find one within your budget and upgrade to aftermarket hard case saddle bags and aftermarket bat wing fairing.

#14 ·
Hi and thanks for the welcome.
I'm mid 60s now, haven't ridden since maybe 33 years old. Had a number of bikes, starting from 350s and then 500s ending with a Suzuki GS 850 shaftdrive. I sold it after an accident that left me with broken ribs and a new nose , I haven't ridden since. After the accident I felt like I was a terrible motorcycle rider, and I was right. Never took any lessons like a moron, just wasn't cool back then; well it's absolutely essential now. hell, most of us do grow up eventually.... (or not...). Anyway, so now considering retirement and newly single, I think it would be fun to try again. I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs but not very strong anymore, so I'm a little concerned about a 1500 (that is the max I now think, changes every other day), but I'm buying and older bike that won't brake the bank so we'll see, plus the fairly extensive courses and lessons I'll be taking should show me right where I'm at. So I really do want a fabulously comfy and wide seat, some hard side bags, and a bat wing type after market fairing. And no I probably will not be riding with passengers unless I get fairly justifiably confident. So finally, thanks for an idea you allude to, and that's doing some good test riding next spring, though being impulsive I might buy a good deal on a vulcan 1500 and then learn on that..... who the hell knows?! We're making this up as we go along, folks! Yahooooo.....!!

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks! Really great feedback there. In most states, an MSF course is now mandatory in order to obtain an MC license. Of course some states have various laws, I would highly recommend taking the MSF at your earliest convenience to get your bearings on a bike(for your second time) as well as pick up on some safety tips. Make good with your MSF instructors and they may be kind enough to invite you/opt you in to additional lessons/classes. The 1700 nomad I purchased is approx 850 lbs dry weight(someone feel free to correct me). Let me tell you, you will know the weight is there. So I strongly encourage you to try multiple machines, don't just settle on one. I'm 6'1, mid 30's and about the same weight as you. I'm slightly out of shape(IE, beer gut), but overall don't consider myself weak by any means. It's taking a bit of getting use to the weight of the Nomad. My other rig is a 2003 Suzuki SV1000S with full fairing. Roughly 470 lbs dry weight. So you see why I'm trying to for warn you about the weight differences. If you feel perfectly happy and comfortable on a 1500 nomad, by all means, get it. I am just trying to provide some friendly advice based on my riding experience. Where might you be located? I know a few people around the country that are MSF instructors, if you happen to live close to one of them I'd be happy to get you in touch with them.

Keep an open mind also, even if the bike doesn't look/feel as comfy as you like(IE the seat). Everything can be upgraded! I've got a TON of money dumped into my Suzuki. ;-)

#20 ·
peputnam, phipps33, no I'm not selling it, I love it! As near as I can tell from reading the specs, the curb weight is about 750 lbs, but I've never had it on a scale. They come in different displacements in different years, but my 2003 is 1500cc. The light bar is stock Kawasaki and was on it when I got it.

Attachments

#23 ·
Based on what you've said I think the suggestions for the 900 are great. Another bike that is much lighter than a Voyage is the Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe. It comes stock with a fairing and hard saddle bags.

#24 ·
Yes but I think the problem with most of the V stars is they still have a carburetor? With the way gas is I will not own a bike that is still has carb system . I love my 900 electronic fuel injection. I bought a 900, wrote it for a year, thought I wanted to tour and bought a Honda Goldwing, sold it a year later and bought another Vulcan 900 classic LT! Great bike for everything!

#26 ·
I was off of a bike for 25+ years and just bought a 1500 Nomad. (2000) and really like it. Yes it was heavy when I first got on it but after one season no biggie. I have added a Tour pack and a fairing to personalize it. I went with the Nomad because of the floor boards and the efi.

#28 ·
Yes I have to give it to you on this one over the 900! Did my own valve job at 18,000 miles, and was so happy that the valves were all up to spec! I did not want to remove one of those shims as I was extremely nervous that one was going to fall down inside the shaft! Self adjusting valves would make the 900 bullet proof on a perfect bike!

#34 · (Edited)
You might consider a used 900 Vulcan to get use to riding again then step up to the 1700. I have two bad knees and am 54 and can ride my Voyager but it is a heavy beast to get off the side stand. Adding a longer side stand from a 1500 to the 1700 helps out a lot with getting it up and ready to roll. When I got back into riding I bought a used Honda 750 ACE and road it for a year and that really helped me out getting my skill set back. Now the 1700 Voyager is easy for me to ride and control with no worries.
GregT

#37 ·
The 900 is a good starting point, you can get a used one in good condition for not too much $$, ride it for a year or 2 and then decide if it is right for you or you want something different. You can get of your money back out of it if you sell it. Great bike for a first bike after being away from riding for a while.

WB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.