Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Diagnostic connector help

17K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Bugeyes 
#1 · (Edited)
Diagnostic connector/ gear indicator help

Trying to do simple plug and play gear indicator install and I can't seem to pull the cap of the diagnostic connector. Don't want to force anything and wondering if there's a trick to doing this.
Obviously I'm not a mechanic but I installed on previous bike without any problem. What am I missing here before I have to spend $100 for a pro to do a 10 minute job? Don't mind using a Pro but this is such a simple job if I can get the cap off without breaking any wires.
Thanks....really appreciate any help.
It's a 20015 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

#2 ·
You don't mean the one on the right side near the battery and relays, that folk where using for a "trigger" to start up a relay running acc. loads?

#3 ·
On my 2007 the connector is/was not covered

#5 ·
I believe that is it. Yeah mine was not covered sorry.

I feel for you, I know those plastic caps and connectors can be a real PITA. The more important they are the more likely they are to break. Stupid

Hopefully some one will come along shortly. Keep us posted and Good Luck

#8 ·
Posting for those of you that might encounter same situation. I solved it by calling Kawasaki Service and he explained that sometimes caps are hard to get off. He also told me to reach in underneath bottom of cap and squeeze tab from the inside towards you. I was doing opposite and squeezing from outside because I didn't notice tab inside the bottom of the cap. Needless to say it came right off and installing the rest of the Gear Indicator unit was easy. You would think the owners manual and service manual would explain that for novices. I'd love to throw some musical terms at them taking it for granted they know all about music.

Thanks to those of you who posted trying to help... even though it was only 2 people. That's one reason we're here.
Appreciate it.

#10 ·
I know this is an older thread, but hoping it might help someone in the future.

I just installed an OEM Gear Change indicator and found that the cap and connector are attached to the bracket by the cap itself so it must be removed from the bracket first before you can remove the cap from the connector. After that, then you can remove the cap from the connector.

To remove the cap from the bracket, there is a tab on the cap where it holds to the bracket. Use your finger or a small flat-head screwdriver to pull the tab towards the cap. Slide the cap off the bracket.

To remove the cap from the connector, there is a tab on the cap on the opposite side of the cap where the bracket tab is. Use your finger to pull the tab up (or out, or away from the cap) then the cap and connector should pull apart easily.

Hope this helps...

Mic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.