Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Geezer with unrealistic idea?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  agoodtoy 
#1 ·
70 years old, been riding enduros and dual sports (250cc) for years, got the hankering for a cruiser. Found a Nomad about 8 hours from home. Am I a fool for thinking I might hitch a ride there from wife, and ride it home having never driven a cruiser before?

#2 ·
I bought a new vulcan 900 in January 2014. Except for the few hours on the MSF course a few week earlier i had not been on a motorcycle for over 35 years. All my riding those many years ago were on standard configuration bikes. The forward cruiser controls felt a little funny at first but had no problems on the 3 hour ride home.

Just don't lean her over too far at a stop light, the 700 lb cruiser is a tad heavier than what you are use to riding.

WB

#3 ·
Hi Sophijo

From me old geezer to another, 8 hours is a long day on a new to you bike regardless if you are used to riding a heavy cruiser or not. I might suggest renting a U-Haul motorcycle trailer for a day or two and tow it home. I would be concerned with the reliability of the bike and would much at her put some miles on it closer to home to shake it out. But if you know the owner and the bike's history and feel comfortable it will make the trip (tires, brakes, fluids check ride OK) then maybe a road trip with your wife and the car handy might be a fun couple of days. Just my humble opinion of course.

WEG

#5 ·
Thanks!

The trailer sounds like a good idea, and I have one for hauling my Dual Sports around. I was thinking of riding half way and staying at my son's. I think the "reliability" issue is something to think about with a bike Im unfamiliar with though ........the other thing is; at 70 years old with the clock ticking Im inclined to go for it......maybe I'll talk more with the seller, and buy one of those "come and get you" insurance policys! I guess what I was most concerned about was my ability to make the transition fron a 250 Dual Sport....thinking; taking my time..back roads and such!

#6 ·
OP, I agree with the others on trailering the bike home. Have you taken the bike for a test ride? These are heavy bikes. You need to be sure the bike is a good fit and you're ready for this big ole bike.

#7 ·
+1 on trailering. It's more than just whether or not you can ride a big heavy cruiser. You probably can with some motorcycle experience. But; the best place to get started on any new bike is somewhere familiar.

There's also a comfort issue. 8 hours is a long time on any motorcycle. If you're anything like me, it takes a few long rides on a new bike to dial it in. Maybe you'll want to install risers, adjust the bars, add highways pegs, install an aftermarket seat, etc. Very few folks I know who regularly ride long distances ride on a bone stock bike. You might be the exception to the rule but; if you find the saddle doesn't agree with you, or the bars are too far / too close and cause you back pain; what a miserable ride home that would be. Learn the bike, figure out what it needs (if anything) to be perfect... THEN take it for an 8 hour ride!

Good luck!

You know, you could just rent the U-Haul bike trailer, and have your wife haul it. Ride the bike. If you feel uncomfortable on unfamiliar roads or do find something that needs a little tweaking; pull off, load it on the trailer, and drive on home.

Reactions: sophijo
#8 ·
My advice is to get a smaller cruiser there are lots of them out there from Yamaha 250 Vstars to Vulcan 500s and Vulcan 650s. I know and ride with guys your age and almost all of them downsized to a lighter bike myself included. A 500 Vulcan or 650 will out run a lot of bikes 2 and 3 times their size you don't need a big inch motor. PM BikerBill the 500 expert!

If you have to buy this bike get a trailer you never know what might happen with an unknown bike.

#9 ·
One thing that's worth adding; just how "good" is this deal? It's pretty common for someone to post that they found a "great deal" on a Vulcan hours away; only to find there's one just like it for the same price closer. Kawasaki has been a pretty good selling brand for a number of years now and there's plenty on the used market. In the years I've been on this forum and people have said they found a bike several hours away for a 'great deal', the majority of the time; they end up buying one closer that was just as good of a deal.

Reactions: sophijo
#11 ·
Definitely little things can sure add up, the added extra lights on the front, and the luggage rack alone, is an extra $600, if you have to put new tires on which you probably will, look at another four or five hundred dollars. Upgrade a seat, Etc, not as bad as a boat! But still a little money pit, but a heck of a lot of fun Money Pit!

#10 ·
Do a half-and-half, but have the trailer with you in case there are any issues. I'd have your wife follow you for however long you're comfortable to ride, then maybe trailer it the rest of the way home.

I did this when I first got my license and my 05 Vulcan 800. Had my girlfriend (now wife) follow me home from the mechanic, who had gotten it running (sat for 5 years, needed a lot). Also, she had her license and I only had a learner's permit, so I needed a follower.

When I got my Vaquero a couple of weeks ago, I was only 15 miles from home, so I rode around for 4 hours to get used to the bike, but I checked in with her every hour or so, to make sure she knew I was ok. That was a decent transition, from my 800 to the Vaq.

-John

#12 ·
Sophijo,

I agree with what the others have said about trailering.
I went from an 800 at 500 lbs to a Nomad at 800 lbs and once it's rolling you won't see a difference. However with a new to you bike you will need a chance to get used to it. If you can find a Nomad closer to home and test ride it or at least feel the weight and judge how it's balanced when stopped and see how it feels to back up on the slightest incline. Will save a lot of time rather than driving eight hours to see if it's a good fit no matter how good of a price. And, I've heard many times while looking for my Nomad that the main reason for selling was to down size to a lighter weight bike. Good luck.

Ron

#13 ·
I rode a 1981 KZ750 for a few years before moving up to a brand new 1500 Classic in 2004. The jump for the 750 to the 1500 was massive. Handling was completely different, things like braking, starting out from a stop and cornering were way different than the KZ. There is no way I would have hopped on that 1500 the first day and rode it 400 miles. It took me about a week of daily riding to even start to get used to the handling. Now it's become like a part of me. One other consideration, depending on the year, the stock seats on those things can be murder on your rear end. The stock one on my '04 was good for about 50 miles before the butt pain became unbearable.

#14 ·
Have you considered a 900 Classic LT? They have most of the same options as a Nomad. The are dependable and plenty full.

You being a duel sport guy, they handle much better on dirt and gravel than a Nomad of any era by far.

By the way unless I missed it you didn't say which Nomad you were looking at so..?

#15 ·
I was 49 when I started riding again, after 25 years, and this was the motorcycle I went with, and still have got one! The 900 is perfect for coming back into the sport! I would definitely recommend you taking this advice and going with the 900! You may want to check out my thread on what do you love about your Vulcan 900! Not sure how hot the Nomad Gets In the Summertime, but I rode my Vulcan 900 in temperatures regularly 95 and Above All Summer Long, and barely noticed engine heat! The heat is just one out of many things that people love about their 900!

#17 ·
I think this is a very good decision. I love my Voyager but have been looking a smaller bikes, including the Kawasaki 900. Keep us posted on what you decide.

#18 ·
Sophijo
I am inclined to say go for it. But I like the idea of either trailing or being trailed by your wife. I am buying a 900 LT in Dallas at the end of the month and riding it to Seattle (40 hours at least in the saddle). No I have never ridden a Vulcan but will have 3 days with it in Dallas before setting off on my adventure. So far I havent ridden a motorcycle, or scooter for that matter, that I couldnt get the hang of pretty quick. I think with your motorcycle experience this wont be that big of a deal. Just dont drop it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.