Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Thinking about downsizing

6K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  TopV 
#1 ·
I have had my 07 Nomad for about 5 years. I have never had a problem with it but recently I have been feeling it is just too big or I’m getting too old. Last week I ran into 4 situations with it that had me discouraged. First, I took a wrong turn on a narrow downhill driveway with soft shoulders and couldn’t turn around, then making a sharp turn up a dirt driveway, I got the front wheel caught in a rut and, barely moving, laid it down on the crash bars. I got to my destination and parked on what I thought was level dirt but when it was time to leave I couldn’t back up and had to have someone help pull me backwards. Then, yesterday backing out of my garage, turning sharply, I tipped over again!!! This time, I couldn’t lift it and had to get my wife to help:embarrassed:.

I really don’t do any touring and don’t need such a big bike. I like the upright seating of a touring bike or cruiser, and need it big enough to go two up occasionally. I don’t know if a forum dedicated to Vulcans is the place to ask this:rolleyes: but does anyone have any suggestions of an alternative to my Nomad?
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Perhaps you should consider the Vulcan 900. It is a fair bit lighter and more nimble. The biggest complaint for the 900 is that it gets a bit buzzy when going 70mph+ on long freeway runs, but sounds like long interstate runs is not your primary riding. Lots of folks ride 2 up, the bike is inexpensive, easy to maintain and run.

Pretty much all my riding 7k per year, consists of Saturday morning rides along the back roads of north Georgia on paved roads 40-65 mph. IMO this is the sweet spot for the 900. I do the occasional short run on the highway (to get to the mountain roads) at 70-75 mph, the bike has no problem running at 75 mph but the revs are up a bit.

The 900 has been in production for 10 years pretty much unchanged except for paint, lots of used ones can be had for $4k and under. Perhaps a local dealer has a used one you can take for a test ride and see how you like it.

#4 ·
The 900 sounds like a good choice; I hadn't thought of that. I'll post a message on the 900 forum and see what I can learn about them.

Wild Bill, I do the same sort of riding. The only difference is I have 2 miles of dirt roads to travel before I hit pavement.

Thanks

#5 ·
If it wasn't for the desire to be able to do 2-up riding on occasion, I would have thrown in a recommendation for the new Vulcan 650 alongside the 900. But I suspect the 900 would do the 2-up better. If you do not mind going a bit older, you could also consider the 800 and 750 size Vulcans. To be honest, I have yet to see a bad Vulcan. Good luck on your search for a new ride, and let us know what you get.

#6 ·
dlabrie, I know what you mean. I'm just beginning to have the same thoughts. But, I really like my Voyager. I had a VStar 1300 that I liked a lot but it did not have the power of this 1700. Also didn't have all the bells and whistles.

#9 ·
It's the only motorcycle I've ridden, but the 650 VulcanS is a racer out of the gate, and a good upright position that you can lean into for the highway comfortably. I took my wife on her 1300 Fury and kept pace with her up to about 60, so it's a performer. Just a few mods makes it not so stock looking, too.

#11 ·
recently I have been feeling it is just too big or I’m getting too old... but does anyone have any suggestions of an alternative to my Nomad?
Thanks
the nomad is a big heavy bike, I don't know the weight but it's got to be over 600 LBS, dropping it is not the issue, it's the losing confidence in handling it, getting older would be a very good reason to down size, lots of bikers do it, the name of the game is to have fun riding and to have confidence in handling what you ride. Maybe if you need to, you might even have to tell your other half that 2-up might not be an option anymore, go shopping at dealers and have a look around for something less heavy and trader her in. (The bike I mean not the wife)

#14 ·
dropping it is not the issue, it's the losing confidence in handling it, getting older would be a very good reason to down size, lots of bikers do it, the name of the game is to have fun riding and to have confidence in handling what you ride. Maybe if you need to, you might even have to tell your other half that 2-up might not be an option anymore...)
You are 100% correct about losing confidence. When I got the VN1600, I had a Honda Shadow (650 if I remember correctly) I tried to get my wife to take the MC course and ride the Honda but she wouldn't consider it. I have told her I don't like riding 2-up anymore and her response was to trade in the bike and get a sports car. I told her if she wanted a sports car to buy one for herself :)

#13 ·
wow, 739 LBS, man that's way more than I could ever handle, I think my next bike I would consider is a trike, 3 wheels man and it doesn't tip over, who cares about weight with 3 wheels, but a Harley trike is like buying a new car, ok, here's my plan, I got a Yamaha 125cc scooter and top speed is a blazing 55mph, that's about full out on it, and it has no windshield and wow you can feel the wind blowing thru the hair what a feeling, love it, ok I changed my mind now, forget the $40K Harley trike and I'll keep having a blast filling my scooter with a gallon of gas and lasting me 3 weeks while I blast around town making cagers wonder who the new town batman is

Reactions: Bokobob and dlabrie
#15 ·
and her response was to trade in the bike and get a sports car

lol, I think we have the same wife, cause my wife wanted to ride as passenger on the 800 and I just don't feel comfortable handling the weight, I have no confidence, so she said ok then let's put the top down on the mazda miata and pretend it's our new trike, she loves that sports car, it's a 1996, so right now I do both, take her for drives in the miata and take my 800 by myself, she thinks that she is getting on the passenger seat on the 800 but my confidence in me handling her and the bike both at the same time is next to nil. Sometimes safety concerns trumps wants and desires. Maybe keep the bike for yourself and get her a car, win-win

#23 ·
I had an 08 Nomad for awhile..I loved the torque and the very low revs at 75 mph and higher..it got to be too heavy for me and I sold it about 5 years ago at age 75..Now at 80 I have a Vulcan 500 and a nice trike...The Vulcan is effortless to ride and has all the power I could ask for, plus a six speed tranny..Less than 500 pound wet...Smaller than you need, however, especially I you go two up sometimes..
You may want to consider a VSTAR 650...it is buzzy at highway speeds but no moreso than the Vulcan 900 plus it is lighter and a hellish good looker (I like the Silverado and Classic models, not the custom.)
It sits very low and is very nimble.

#28 ·
I have a Vulcan 500 and a nice trike...
I have an '05 800 now but I like the idea of owning a trike someday. I'm curious how they handle on the highway and on the curves, does a trike have a different feel to it than riding a 2-wheel bike?

#25 ·
I have had my 07 Nomad for about 5 years. I have never had a problem with it but recently I have been feeling it is just too big or I’m getting too old. Last week I ran into 4 situations with it that had me discouraged. First, I took a wrong turn on a narrow downhill driveway with soft shoulders and couldn’t turn around, then making a sharp turn up a dirt driveway, I got the front wheel caught in a rut and, barely moving, laid it down on the crash bars. I got to my destination and parked on what I thought was level dirt but when it was time to leave I couldn’t back up and had to have someone help pull me backwards. Then, yesterday backing out of my garage, turning sharply, I tipped over again!!! This time, I couldn’t lift it and had to get my wife to help:embarrassed:.

I really don’t do any touring and don’t need such a big bike. I like the upright seating of a touring bike or cruiser, and need it big enough to go two up occasionally. I don’t know if a forum dedicated to Vulcans is the place to ask this:rolleyes: but does anyone have any suggestions of an alternative to my Nomad?
Thanks
Birdhunter, if you reread the original post, (which I quoted) it is when the bike is at very low speeds and in tight situations that the weight is becoming too much an issue. And I can empathize with the OP, being a good deal smaller than the average adult male. (5'4" @130lbs) I can see how I could find myself in a situation where I would have difficulty. There are times when I would be better served on something lighter, such as the new 650 Vulcan. But for the most part, the Nomad is the best choice for me. It is just not the right choice for everyone.

#30 ·
I am just 4'11". Short arms and legs, inseam 29 though. I had the 639 pounds (dry) 1100 VSTAR Silverado for 10 years. Despite risers and handlebar changes, and seat changes to improve my overall reach, I was never very skilled at the slo-mo moves. The reach for my feet to controls, and hands to bars was still a stretch, and that gets tiresome. I had a passenger once, for just a mile. It was just to see if I could do it, and it was a skilled rider who knew how to behave as a passenger. But I have no need to take a passenger anywhere.

Going fast and straight no problem, but parking, U turns, slo mo stuff, etc was difficult and over time I became less confident, and I rode less and less. Wait.... BUT I LOVE RIDING.....

So, this year I downsized to the Vulcan S with ABS. I lost 140 pounds instantly! I got the reduced reach set up (foot controls, seat, bars) and I'm so happy I did this. I can push the bike around, I can duck-walk it, I can flat foot it.

It's hard to enjoy riding what doesn't fit you well. Go to the dealers and sit on the bikes, test ride as many as you can, and make your decision!!

Good luck -

Gerry

#31 ·
It's hard to enjoy riding what doesn't fit you well.
EXACTLY! Not only am I a small rider, I have a couple medical issues that make the position of my hands and feet critical. I sat on many different bikes when I was shopping for a new one. If my hands are not placed perfectly, it will effect my carpel tunnel, as well as possibly not having me in a good position for my back. And if my feet are not placed right, my hips will bother me.

Reactions: chench53
#32 ·
I pretty much have your 1600 Nomads 900 counterpart. I have 3.5" risers a Mustang seat with back rest and trunk.
You've never said your age or weight/size so don't know how we compare that way. I am 73 yrs old 6'1" 175lbs and no problems handling my 900.
Now your bike is listed as "Dry Weight: 772 lb" the 900 is listed as "Weight incl. oil, gas, etc 619.6 pounds" also some have mention you might be interested in either a 650 V Star (Dry Weight 471 lbs
Wet Weight 514 lbs) or 950 V Star. (Wet Weight 613 lb) I have owned both models of the V-Stars and while nice bikes the 900 Vulcan has one thing they don't. That indefinable thing I call personality. It is a lot more fun to ride than the other two were. ( Had a brand new 1986 Honda Aspencade Goldwing it didn't have any problems but was boring IE: no personality)

#37 ·
I had a 2007 Vulcan 900, Road it for a year, went to a Goldwing, in about a year sold the Goldwing, went back to a Vulcan 900 this time knowing the bike better, got a little bit better 2008 classic LT. My wife was so happy we sold the Goldwing and went back to this, not just for the look, but everything, better riding, Comfort on the back seat, less buffeting for her, just one awesome ride, the electronic fuel injection is what separates it from other bikes in its class. Definitely go with a 900 you'll love it.

#43 ·
I've had VStroms...last one we had the wife rode it alot. She's 5'9" so here's what we did.

Got shorter suspension links (dogbones) for the monoshock.
Shortened the kickstand.

Cheap and easy mod, still had good ground clearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#44 ·
Well, I sold my 1600 Nomad a couple of weeks ago and I bought a new, 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure. I'll be heading over to Stromtrooper.com. It has been a pleasure hanging out here for the last 6 years. Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice I've gotten over the years. Keep it shiny side up!
David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.