Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2008 Vulcan 900 , valve clearance inspection, six and a half hours!

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  keller123 
#1 ·
So finally got all my tools together and took on this major! Well major to me minor to some I'm sure. I had my shims get ready to go, cheap micrometer that I was nervous about due to not very accurate , with a new mechanics magnet with adjustable head, armed and ready for battle. I can get my tank off now in about 10 minutes, so no problems there , the major delay was the cam cover cover on the front cam underneath that breather debacle! There was a bolt that held that breather assembly, that was attached to the frame, and played Havoc on trying to get the bolt out! After finally realizing these things were not torqued very hard, I was able to put together a contraption that was able to get underneath that's stupid thing attached to the frame and loosen the bolt! I ran to Advanced Auto to see if I could find something before I figured it out, and ate , so that added about an hour and 40 minutes to the job. Other than that just following the parts 1 & 2 on valve adjustments, and also the Vulcan 800 video where the guy has the engine pulled from the motorcycle , watching those two or three videos, you should be good to go. I did not have to change out any shims,! Everything was smack in line except I was at .11 on the intake on the rear cam , so on the low end, I really wanted to adjust it to .13, but man I did not want to replace those shims! Did not have another set of hands, not sure how to position a towel so you can't drop a shim down , as it is extremely tight in there, so I just left it at .11. I have 18500 miles on it, and I'm sure it had never been done at the 15000. I will not entertain even thinking about doing this again until 36,000 miles rolls up on the odometer! Let me know if you want to see a picture of the contraption I used to get to that Bolt. Quite humorous!

See less See more
#2 ·
I am around 14,800 on theodometer. Figure one more Sat ride before I tackle the valve inspection. Just replaced the front tire myself saved me $50 (not counting the $14 for 2 tire irons and my time).

There is a 2 part vn900 video on you tube, the guy highly recommends some wobble socket extentions, did you use those? The wobble allows the socket to tilt something like10-15 degrees so you can reach bolts that do not allow a strait path for a normal fixed extension and socket.

Harbor Freight has a set of various lengths and sizes on sale for $10. I am really happy I have. HF close by, tool quality is OK but they are cheap $ and for tools you only use once in a while they are fantastic.

I may post back my experience on the process. Wish me luck!

#4 ·
You know I may have used that waffle thing on the head cover cover, where he showed he used it at, but seriously, if you have a regular wrench that dips a little bit at the end, you could probably remove that bolt, and all the bolts would just that, they really are not on that type, I will send a shot on the one they gave me trouble underneath that breather assembly ,that bolt cost me an hour on the job

#5 ·
The reason you need the micrometer is, if the shim you remove is not marked, wore out, then you have to measure that shim to make sure you're putting an accurate shim In. Even if they are marked, people say they wear down and might not be accurately marked them. I was happy I was in compliance and did not have to pull one out, also my micrometer was uo to .04 So I'm sending it back. Make sure you watch the Vulcan 800 valve check every 6000 miles video on YouTube, he has a link to micrometers that I wish I would have looked at before I ordered one! There's one in there he recommends for 19 bucks that will probably be just fine. I paid 10 bucks for a piece of crap

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Everything was going fine until I put the first valve cover on, not sure if it was me, the torque wrench or a defective bolt but one of the bolts broke off. Fortunately I was able to back out the bolt stem from the cylinder head. Have new bolts on order, bought a new inch pound torque wrench and hopefully will get in back together for the weekend.

All the valves were OK. One of the intake valves was near the outside of the range, but when I replaced the shim it was too tight so I put the original shim back in.

I recommend getting an inch pound torque wrench for doing this procedure.

WB

#10 ·
just got back on line here...so did you fix everything up? I hope mine is ok toward the low limit for another 15k. I may check again in 10k since was very close. I hate I was a wimp and did not put smaller shim in. soooo nervous on dropping that damn thing in case and did not even see much room for a towel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.