Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Valve adjustment / inspection

5K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  keller123 
#1 ·
So I'm sure there's many forums out there topics concerning this, but wanted to get the most updated success not success stories on valve adjustments, I have 17,000 miles on my 2008 V900, bought used, and can about guarantee the 15000 mile was not done, by the looks of the antifreeze, and the brake fluid. So my question is how many people skipped the 15K valve adjustment? How many miles do you have on it since your last valve adjustment / inspection? My dealership wants 172 inspect 322 adjust comma sounding pretty fair from what I'm seeing on the interweb, thanks all

#3 ·
Just some interesting info: I bought a 2009 900 Vulcan LT new. Dealership in New Braunfels. TX had me bring it in at 800 miles to adjust the valves for free. Told me it voided my warranty if I didn't do it. Was no biggie so I took it in and they adjusted. Sfair right, do the valve check or pay lots more later . . .

#4 ·
Yes, from everything I've read, definitely need to get that first one done at the very least, I watched a 2007 900 part 1 & 2 on YouTube ,it confused the hell out of me! And scared me, then I watched somebody do a Vulcan 800, and completely made sense, I may give this a whirl on my own, now the most complicated I've done so far on the bike is bleed the brakes, coolant change, spark plugs and air filter, but may give this a shot especially since I don't want to crank out three hundred fifty bucks every 15,000 miles for someone else to do it.

#5 ·
I do mine every 12-13k. First one needed 6 of 8 ajusted, second time around 0 of 8. Next check due in 3-5k miles.
I view all maint. shedules as under ideal conditions.

Your mileage may vary

#6 · (Edited)
You can buy a shim kit for around $60 that provides all of the various possible sizes of shims you may need. A wobble extention for your ratchet wrench can come in handy, harbor freight has a set of varius sizes and lengths for around $10, HF also has a low cost torque wrench around $12. There are some youtube videos that go through the process I found helpful. Get a service manual electronic version around $10 (i keep a copy on my phone, has been handy a few times when on the road). You can just buy the individual shims needed from the dealer, but I don't have a dealer really close.

Unrelated but I am facing some major $$$$ repair of the drive, the drive pulley came lose on the shaft causing wear to the pulley and shaft. I will be checking the drive pulley every 5K miles from now on to make sure everything is tight. This is not in the manual. My point is as the old saying goes " a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". The maintenace schedule is inthe owners manual for a reason.

#7 ·
Thanks I will be checking my drive pulley from now on too! I have a wobble wrench, my question is when you change out your shims do you have a special magnetic tool that you like to use use, as shown on the videos, to capture the shim and and put it back in. Keep me posted on your repairs! I love and hate having to work on the bike!

#9 ·
I had the valves on my '07 checked at around 27K km, so a little late. (15K mi = 24K km). It was at a shop that had just dropped Kawi (went from Kawi/Suzuki to only Suzuki.) They told me everything was in spec. and no adjustment was needed. Does that sound plausible?

In any case, I'm now getting near 48K, so it sounds like I should get them done sooner rather than later!

#10 ·
Watch the couple of videos a few times on YouTube, you may decide to do it yourself! 350 bucks every time you go sounds a little high to me, the shim kits only 65 bucks, everything else you probably have to do it, just saying, I'm going to go for it

#11 ·
You could wait until winter and make it a project then. If you can turn a wrench and follow instructions then you can do this. Like others mentioned there's a great part one and two video on YouTube. I followed that video and with my service manual the job took me approx 4 hrs. Start to finish. Cost me a shim kit for $60. That's it.

#16 · (Edited)
It took me a couple times watching that part 1 and 2 for a ball to make sense, I actually watched a video changing out the 800 shims and that helped put it all together. The only part that I'm a little nervous about is having to remove the spark plug cylinder thing with a screwdriver, and then getting it back in there, his first video ended right as he was removing it, and did not address it again because he did not put it back together.

#14 ·
As others have said, if you can turn a wrench and follow instructions it is not hard at all. The magnetic pickup tool is a must have, to keep the shims from falling down into the engine. Also, you'll need a good set of feeler gauges. I got a couple of different sets from auto parts stores because you want to have as small an interval as possible to get as specific as possible. I also got a fancy electronic caliper to measure the shim thicknesses. Sometimes the old shim will be worn so you can't see what its thickness is so you would need a caliper to figure that out. Altogether, for the service manual, shim kit, feeler gauges and electronic caliper you might spend $150 but you'll save more than that every time you do it yourself.

#15 ·
Great stuff everyone thanks, I'm going to tackle this in a week or two and will update! I cancelled my $340 shop visit Kama I actually had a dealership say they have every shim available for trade! Just bring them my old ones! So I'll guess I'll go that route and skip the shim set for now

#17 ·
So have all my tools ready to go for this major job, valve inspection, adjustment if necessary. Got my final tool today, the micrometer, not sure if it's the shims for the cheap micro meter, but the micro meter is reading .02 on every single shim over. Any thoughts? Setting aside a five-hour slot to complete this.

#19 ·
20 thousands is a lot of variance, +/- half a thousands is more the norm. Most have a zeroing/resetting adjustment.

You can get a pair of stainless dial calipers for under 30 bucks, from most places that sell tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.