134Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 207 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Shunned By A Harley Owner...

So my nature has always been to wave and acknowledge every other motorcycle rider on the road regardless of brand or type of motorcycle. Even back when I rode sport bikes I always threw a hand out to any passing bike, even a cruiser of any brand. Most of the time I got one back. I feel like we are one big family of motorcycle riders regardless of what 2 wheeler your but is planted on.

Anyways, in a few towns over there is restaurant that always holds events for motorcycles. Yesterday, they had a spring bike show to launch off the cycling season. There are loads of different bikes that show up and enter. People come from all over and there are a ton of bikes there. It's always a really good time. I actually met a friend there that rode in from another direction. He actually rides a classic Harley and it is a very nice bike.

After the show I hit the road back toward the house. A few stoplights out i hit a red light. I was the only vehicle at the light. Shortly after, 3 Harleys came rolling up behind me. All three of them were riding in formation and they stopped in the lane beside me. I looked over and gave them a wave and a look as to acknowledge they had very nice bikes...

Not a damn one of them even looked over at me. Then the one up font looked down at my bike, literally shook his head and gave his bike several hard revs. Letting me know what the deal was on his 15k dollar Harley with proudly labeled emblems, leather jacket and an engine about half the size of mine.

I knew he was going for it so I could not resist. Note: I normally do not take part in this behavior or condone it but this was a very special situation. So when the light turned green i launched my 3 thousand dollar Vulcan 1600 classic and blew his "theoretical" doors off like he was in reverse. His face got redder then the pretty paint on his bike. Afterwards I let them pass on my right and then I pulled right in to the rear of their formation. I rode with them like this for about 12 miles until they eventually pulled off, still with no wave but I know it burned their blood up and it made my day!

I truly don't understand why certain bike owners consider themselves above others. Aren't we all riding for the same reason??
Lkdelta, Rdfroese, G Man and 4 others like this.

I've put down many hard miles carving corners, but now it's time to just sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 207 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

fastpakr, Dean, Romans5.8 and 6 others like this.

04 1500 Classic
Mustang Seat
Sissy bar, luggage rack,
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
post #3 of 207 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Pat how is your luggage rack mounted with your mustang seats? Do you have a rear seat installed?

I've put down many hard miles carving corners, but now it's time to just sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery!

post #4 of 207 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:52 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Candy Surf Blue
Garage
I'm part of a MRO here in SE Louisiana, and we have sort of adopted a revolutionary saying... "We must all hang together, or most assuredly, we will hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin. It really shouldn't matter what you ride. I wave to the guys on sports as much as cruisers. I will even ride with them if they aren't speed demons or showoffs. I want them to stay on two wheels as much as anyone... but at the end of the day, if they lose their rights, we lose ours too. However, people... lol

I've got a Kawi 9c with no badges and only the stock breather to say anything about it in text. Two of my brothers have Honda 750's but the rest are various Harleys. One of those money pit owners even works at the HD shop here in town, so my bike is up there on a regular basis and parked out front. Now, aside from the salesmen trying to push me on to their expensive parts shakers, I've never had a cross word said. I've even had a few compliments and several riders who've said, "I used to have one of those..." or "My brother's got one." Those all end the same, though. "Nice bike."

Sorry you had to make a point the hard way, but consider your purists as uninformed. Sometimes, they just don't want the idea, nevermind get it.

The pic is mine and my brother's HD Fatboy Lo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160117_161552.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	158026  

Sometimes you find diamonds in the ashes of your previous endeavors and losses.

Last edited by Misfire; 04-11-2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: caption
post #5 of 207 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Beautiful Bike Misfire! Your brothers too. I love them all. Most of the time i never have an issue but for whatever reason these guys did. Oh well I just thought it was funny. Pretty much the group of guys I ride with all ride Harleys except one guy who rides an R1. We all ride together all the time though. I have ridden a few harleys. An older bigger one Im not sure what it was and also a newer 1200 sportster. I barely fit on the sportster but both of them shook me to death lol. I'm not a huge fan of that lol. But to each his own.
downinthefrontrow likes this.

post #6 of 207 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 11:17 AM

Garage
Thanks for the compliment, Daniel. I can't compare the Harley to mine, as I haven't actually ridden one, but watching my brother on the FB lo, he doesn't leave the seat like I do on some of the buckles in the pavement here in SELA. Just more weight on the wheels I suppose. I know the sportsters are hella light, so I can imagine those things leave you hopping all over the place. Truth be told, I wanted the V9 because of the tank range. Still able to keep up with the Harleys before grabbing fuel, and a slightly smaller bike for a practically brand new rider. The ST1300 honda that I learned on doesn't count. lol

post #7 of 207 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Most of us on here have had similar experiences.

The world is full of jerks and sometimes they find a common 'status symbol' to rally around.
Not every HD owner is a jerk; but when someone who IS a self important jerk is looking for a ego machine, there aren't too many brands to choose from

It is kinda hard not to let your blood pressure rise a bit when it happens. Just remember; their ignorance only limits their experience, not yours.
Enjoy your ride.

Scott
Rider 50 and revrider like this.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #8 of 207 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 01:44 PM

Garage
lol just worth mentioning... one of the largest MC's out there (and one of the most known names) switched almost entirely to VICTORY. maybe the harley guys should be reminded of that on the occasions they forget themselves under their asstitude.
rocnrol and Daniel DiMaggio like this.

post #9 of 207 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM

Ain't it fun to smoke their ass like that? I'm like most everybody here, I'll wave, acknowledge, compliment everybody I see regardless of size or brand. But every now and then you'll run into a butt plug like those. That when you really appreciate a V2K!. Makes them really drag their lip! Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #10 of 207 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:22 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Red
Garage
I've met a few like that in my short time riding, but the real bummer is how my family perceives me. My sister and I both ride, something we picked up from my father, who was doing wheelies before he had pimples, if stories are to be believed. He's built/fixed/ridden more Harleys than I've probably ever seen, and they still go through his shop almost faster than I can believe.

My sister picked up that torch and started on the back of a Harley soft-tail, but I couldn't (and still can't) afford anything like that. My first bike was a Yamaha Maxim 600, bought on Craigslist for $500. It was a piece, but I loved it because it was mine. My dad says he's just happy that I'm riding, and I can tell it's mostly true, but my sister and him have always been in their own little club.

As much as I want to believe that we're all in it for the ride, I don't think I really can. As bummed as it makes me, I have yet to meet anyone on a Harley that doesn't look at everything else as 2nd best (at least). Having only ridden on 2, and being extremely uncomfortable both times, I'm wondering how they got that way...

Meh...I like this club better anyway, lol.

2001 Vulcan 800 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode