Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why is the biker culture so divisive

12K views 61 replies 34 participants last post by  MikeL123 
#1 ·
Back in the 90's it seemed people we in to motorcycling for the love and not because it was "THE THING" and everyone was cool, the 1%ers did their thing and everyone was happy. In 2009 when i got back into riding i immediately noticed the divisivness, cruisers rode with cruiser, crotch rockets rode with crotch rockets, but then it was further divided between metrics and and harleys and even certain harleys were like the vrod and sportster were looked down on bevause they are not true Harleys. Further dividing the culture were people who ride in clubs who get patches and become instant badasses despite not knowing protocols or the culture vs the lone wolves arrogantly proclaimed independance but still wanted part of the biker scene. It was a bit confusing to me, i tried the club thing for a bit, but i like riding not meetings, been solo for 2 years and only ride with my gf because now for former club brother wont ride with me because of the politics of biker culture(or maybe im an a-hole). This brings me to today a young coworker was aaking me about hayabusas and immediately was pounced on by the harley guy, who was then pounced by the bmw guy and we never got to finish our conversation. Tommorow however i will tell him get what you like, ride because you want to becausw it yours and you are paying for it. People have made a passion so complicated with the nonsense of the latest generation of biker wannabees, we need to get back to basics, ride, eat, sleep, repeat, nothing else matters. Perhap when we get back to that motorcycking will grow for the riggt reasons and not because it the latest "THING".

See less See more
#2 ·
Some people's identity is strengthened when they feel they are in the 'right' group; or doing something that they think others envy. We are social animals; even the true 'loner' enjoys a good conversation now and then. It is all about expressing your passion, there are many diverse ways to do that. We are all just struggling to find some sense of happiness, and riding does that for a lot of us; some need recognition more than others, some need approval more than others. We transfer our personalities to the rides that we choose, we mod it in certain ways, outgrow it or not, then begin again on another journey; full of ourselves, or proud of our own humility, we're trying to express our meaning for existing.......ride on....

#3 · (Edited)
Why? you asked a question; Why?
bike culture is not much different than the rest of society, and is reflective of what we have become. the bikes just help to accentuate it.. self centered narcissist.

back when you were young and had no clue. you didn't care. and rode your whatever. wherever. whenever. and had the time of your life doing so. nobody told you what to do, where and how to do it.

but alas, out there in the world, you met the rest of us. and we laughed at you for being different and in time you learned to laugh at those who are different.. no matter how much we are alike. we are all different. and alike. but different. and my bike is better than yors. why? because its mine. and you look funny.. poncho
or is it smell weird?

Reactions: rocnrol and redfish
#5 · (Edited)
back when you were young and had no clue. you didn't care. and rode your whatever. wherever. whenever. and had the time of your life doing so. nobody told you what to do, where and how to do it.
Right on!

Wasn't so young, about three years ago, not a forum member of any kind, researched bikes online and liked the looks of the Vulcan 500. Bought one, took the MSF course, learned how to ride, and got the "cold shoulder" at the local gas station, biker hangout. Had NO idea what brand of bikes I wheeled up to and parked beside. They all looked alike! Two wheels with a motor.

Guess what? I figured something must be wrong with those fellers or they were just a bunch of asshats!! Nopes. Was ME who was ignorant of this new kind of culture exclusion. Background to all this is I had never paid the slightest bit of attention to motorcycles, didn't know the difference between a cruiser and a crotch rocket, or even what a 1%ter was, until old age boredom set in and remembered what fun I had with a Harley 165 Hummer back in 1960, which cost me all of $10.

One thing I do know. None of that stuff bothers me a bit. Just try to steer clear of maladjusted folks. I'm unadjusted enough without any new pointers.

#4 ·
Good to know im not imagining this,looking at the bigger picture i think you are on to something poncho, it is a reflection out society, maybe not in the same extremes unless your a trekkie or some fringe group

#6 ·
Back in 1962, I had a NSU Prima which was the Cadillac of the Vespas, Allstates and Lambretta's of the time.
But soon after, Suzuki and Kawasaki 80's started to show up and INSTANTLY, my machine was the brunt of jokes and ridicule, along with me.

Round and round she goes. Where she stops nobody knows....

#10 ·
Back in 1962, I had a NSU Prima which was the Cadillac of the Vespas, Allstates and Lambretta's of the time. But soon after, Suzuki and Kawasaki 80's started to show up and INSTANTLY, my machine was the brunt of jokes and ridicule, along with me. Round and round she goes. Where she stops nobody knows....
and we're still laughing at you on that icecream skooter.. tho now you'd be all the rage with the ladies on campus. doh!

#7 ·
It's weird isn't it? I don't get it at all. I'm interested in whatever bike anyone is riding. I like to hear and talk about them all. It's a shame we are so petty to think our opinions of a brand are superior to others etc. I see this a lot from people I like. They won't even talk to me about bikes because I don't have a Harley Davidson. I have a couple of friends that both ride HD and will talk about their bikes. If I chime in they barely acknowledge I am talking. I'm sure it happens with all brands and types. I've only witnessed it with HD riders so far. It's dumb.

#8 ·
Funny, when I get to ride with my buddies, I am either on my classic 900 or my ninja 650, the other guys ride a blackbird, a v strom 1000, a fjr1300, 1980's duke 900 and a ninja 1000 ... hell we have one of almost everything ... and we get funny looks from all the cliques. I don't really care what you ride, I talk to everybody on a bike ..... its just the Harley guys never answer back. LOL

#9 ·
Funny, when I get to ride with my buddies, I am either on my classic 900 or my ninja 650, the other guys ride a blackbird, a v strom 1000, a fjr1300, 1980's duke 900 and a ninja 1000 ... hell we have one of almost everything ... and we get funny looks from all the cliques. I don't really care what you ride, I talk to everybody on a bike ..... its just the Harley guys never answer back. LOL
you will note that your particular circle of riding buddies is a diverse group of.. one off's.. not hardley 2 of any kind in the bunch.. id suspect yor credo must be, "no thanks, we already got one of those bikes here, go find a different group".

well that's were the problem starts.. and it doesn't hafta be exclusive to hardley, butt they do set the bar (& shield) high in that regard.. anytime 3 or more of a certain type, brand, style, displacement, color, kredo or orient'ation gather like gravity; then the walls of exclusion go up.. and the sneering begins.

Zipp Splatts have their klicks. Customs don't like hangin with stockers. Cruisers invite all kinds of weirdos drenched in leather & chains. Bigg motor guys like to laff at teeny weeny mosheeny bikes.. even got Prostheltyzers.. or is it prosthetics? and yes the ***** on bykes are exclusive, don't be hittin on the biches.
So you see its a microcosm of the zannie world we live in, butt its magnified to the Nth degree.

#12 ·
I personally dont care what people ride. I ride with a group that has Harleys and Vulcans. When I go to the local Harley dealer my Candy Orange Vaquero surely turns heads. I have had many conversations with the Harley folks here in South FL and most seem welcoming. They are usually shocked when the see my bike is a Kawi and they likely spent thousands more for their plain black run of the mill Harley. But I dont rub it in. My motto is is Ride Smile Enjoy. Just Ride.

In my experience the BMW guys are the most snobbish as they walk around Bike Night with every piece of safety equipment known to man. Oh and their reflective pants.....lol

#13 ·
When I bought my 900; I had people ask me why I got such a small bike. Wasn't I man enough for a real bike?
When I bought my R3T (2.3 liter engine) I had people ask what I'm compensating for; it's been called "excessive" and "ostentatious". :) Some people are going to b*tch about what you ride no matter what.

People feel safe and important when they're part of a group.
The thing is if that group includes "everyone" then by default it's not a group anymore.

If we only had one motorcycle MFG and everyone rode the same brand. We'd find a way to segregate ourselfs by boots or eyewear or some other petty "COOL FACTOR".:cool:

We're still the best Sneeches; and they're still the worst!

https://youtu.be/eBCUkdd57qc

Scott

#19 ·
Hehehe. You bet! Same experience here. I wasn't a real biker on the 900 because it was just a little bike. My favorite comments would be from some little dude shorter than me who'd say "I'd look like a clown on a tricycle on that thing". And I'd think, don't you see me, this 6'2", 36" inseam dude riding it?

Then I got my (nearly identical riding position) 1700 Vaquero and "A fairing? A stereo? Cruise Control? Might as well be a prius". And now I scratch my head wondering if it's worth explaining the difference between a motorcycle with a fairing and a prius; but am unconvinced they are capable of comprehending it.

It's all good.

Part of it, I think, is the change in demographics. The median income of motorcyclists is increasing (part of why they are becoming more expensive) and they are being bought by more people. There's something like 10x as many registered motorcycles today as there were in 1980 and there was something like 10x as many in 1980 as in 1960. It's a booming business, and that means lots of "new people". And I'm certainly one of those "new people", I wasn't alive in 1960 much less riding a Motorcycle. I didn't get into motorcycling for culture or to look cool or for "brotherhood", I got into motorcycling to ride the stupid thing. I like to travel and it seemed to me (I was right) there's no better way to do it than on two wheels. I do love seeing other bikes and meeting new people; but I could just as easily have continued the same attitude than any car-driver has that "It's about me and nobody else exists".

But, brand wars and attitudes don't just exist in motorcycles. Go ask a guy next to a pickup truck what he thinks about the other pickup truck next to his. It's the wrong brand, it's a measly half-ton which isn't a real truck, or it's a one-ton which is just compensating for something, or it's a 3/4 ton which is someone too scared to drive a one-ton and but wants to be big and bad so they won't drive a 1/2 ton. Or it's a foreign truck. Or, whatever. There's something wrong withe everyones truck. Except for mine of course.

I drive a Mustang, can't get out of a gas station, parking lot, or even a red light without a comment from a Camaro or Challenger owner. Thing is, I think both of those cars are super cool. I just liked the Mustang a little better. But then I'm the same way with H-D. I think they are super cool but you can rarely talk about them because I ride a metric so I'm one of the 'enemy'. I just like my Metric a little better.

Or how about camping? That's a fun one. The guy in the pup-tent scoffing at the guy in the coleman family-friendly ez-up tent, scoffing at the guy in the cabin, scoffing at the guy in the pop up trailer, scoffing at the guy in the towable, scoffing at the guy in the toy-hauler, scoffing at the guy in the big RV.

The old Jewish joke is "Ask ten rabbi's to explain the Torah and you'll get eleven answers".

Everyones got it all figured out, and everyone else is a moron. Welcome to life!

Reactions: themonson
#14 ·
I usually ride with Harley guys when I ride with other folks at all. I haven't noticed any prejudice. I do catch some unintended condescension once in awhile- comments like "when you get a Harley, you'll understand", or "hey, the Harley dealer is having a big sale and they'll take anything on trade." I don't think it's intentional, but more of an assumption that owning an HD is the ultimate goal of every motorcycle rider, so of course I must want one, and my current ride is just a beginner's step to working my way up to one. I just smile and say "cool!" and off we ride. After 11 years with the same bike, I think they're getting the message.:D:D

#16 ·
I have rode a few harleys, and not taking anything from harleys, they were not my cup of earl grey, missed the power of my v2k, but the harleys were not bad in that dept. The Indians imho ride the best, but even then I dont thin i couyld give up my v2k, not saying its the best bike, but the best bike for me, so when Ive heard that comment im cluelesss as to what i m supposed to understand

#17 ·
I work in tech support and talk to electricians all over the country daily. There's usually some downtime on a call waiting on a locked door or something and so I'll start talking about my hobbies. I talk to a lot of HD riders and never once have I had any of them tell me I need to trade in for a "real" bike. Maybe it's because they're calling me for help, but they're always polite. Most will start telling me about their 1st bike, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, or Yamaha (Star). Now they ride an HD.

I think for many cruiser riders it's a natural progression for whatever reason. When I was shopping for a bigger bike I tried out a Road King. It rode great, but I couldn't get past that "shake" at idle. It was "unsettling" to me, but I've only ridden metric bikes, so maybe that's why. If I grew riding HDs then I'm sure I'd think something was wrong if it didn't shake.

#20 ·
Can't we all just learn to get along???

All the time we spend scuffin' somebody else we could be riding, positive thought, optimism will always enhance the experience, no matter what yur talking about. If HD guys just learned that and get their bikes out of the shop :confused: they would enjoy ridding a lot more, more time ridding + more enjoyment in every s'mile.

When I finally decided to go out and get a bike, all the media and popular culture pointed me toward HD, as I stated doing some research, cost, features, design, reliability, the very first conclusion (and it didn't take long) was "DO NOT GET A HARLEY!!!".

I just want to ride and enjoy the time i get on MY 2 wheels, brand does not mean crap.

#21 ·
This is interesting. After a twenty year absence from street bikes I bought a Vulcan 900 to see if I wanted to get back into riding. During my life I have always had dirt bikes and with that crowd it doesn't seem to matter what you throw a leg over everybody seems to get along okay. Street bikes are really different today.

In the 70's I rode British bikes and when the big Honda four cylinder hit the streets I got one of those. Stayed on Japanese bikes for a long time until about 1995. I lived in a large city back then and don't recall a lot of waving going on in town. On the roads out of town it seemed most everybody waved. Today is different. Now I live in a small town and once a year Sturgis happens and since I live pretty close we go over there. I noticed HD riders when they are by themselves tend to wave. BMW riders whether alone or in twos and threes don't wave much. Large groups of HD riders don't wave as a rule. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other but I find myself tending to wave just to see who waves back these days.

I think it is just the way our society is. People from some areas of the country (like large cities) don't trust people as much as the people where I live these days. In the small town I live near people say Hi whether they know you or not. They look you in the eye when passing on the street. On a recent trip to Denver I tried being friendly and was surprised at how few people would look at you or say Hi back.

#22 · (Edited)
I hear about this all the time. But to be honest I have never felt anything of the sort from other riders. There are those of us who actually have both a Metric and a Harley. I have no issues taking either of them anywhere, anytime. I do many runs and ralleys though out the season. BUT I have been privy to the stereotyping from people who do NOT ride. Simply because we are BIKERS!

EDIT: I am not saying it doesn't happen. Just hasn't happened to me. Just this morning I read a thread in another forum about a guy posting up his newly purchased used Victory (not on a Victory forum), looking for some recognition, or an attaboy. Well needless to say he did not get the response he was looking for. The bike was bashed a little bit for being fugly, but most did say, if that's what works for you, then good on ya! And that's all I have to say about that.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ride what you want...who cares.

The top of the line new CVO Harley has a sticker price of 40k before tax, tags and other fees. And they wonder why they are called credit glides...LOL.

I have 3 bikes; 2011 Road Glide Ultra, 2007 CVO Road King and 2012 Voyager. If I writing in this forum which one do you think I ride the most.

It is not about what you ride but if you ride. If you are an jerk that rides then stay away from me.

#24 · (Edited)
I haven't read this entire tread, and so if you've found a solution within it, please enlighten me!

I have just spent the last 15 years of my life rebuilding a 1982 Goldwing, it's been in all shapes and forms of ugly looking in it's time, but its mine.

Now that it's finished, 2 barrel Weber carburation, C5 ignition and 1975 camshafts. As well as looking good. It's kinda strange how people don't want to talk to me about it anymore.

This could be due to a bunch of things and not limited to, one, their, I turned 50 so I deserve a Harley attitude has bitten them in the ass, or 2, the whole biker thing is too much for their ass.

Bud I'm ridin' and they ain't!

#25 ·
I haven't read this entire tread, and so if you've found a solution within it, please enlighten me!
Bud I'm ridin' and they ain't!
chillers,, bang! ther she is! in a nutt shell.. do you ride or do you pose? riders ride,, posers pose.. aka, paint n krome hor'ers

#27 ·
When it's safe to, I waive to any two, three or four wheeled motorized sit-on vehicle. That even includes the dirt bikers and quaders riding in the ditch. I don't keep track of who, on what did or didn't waive. I just waive to acknowledge the fact that we have something in common, riding. They know what I know, riding is the best therapy available no matter what you do it on. "SHARED PASSION, INDIVIDUAL STYLE."

Reactions: sch5034
#31 ·
That's frigging it, I'm gonna go get on my leathers and rollerskate around the neighborhood to watch people's reactions....

#36 ·
You know the rules, Pics or it didn't happen.

#37 ·
Here in UT I've noticed that most all the genres are friendly. Doesn't seem to matter if the bike is SAE, metric, sport, scooter, etc. I've got some die hard HD neighbors who gave me a little crap for the metric choice, but let off a little once they saw progress on my 9 and where the project was going. Seems I can take their crap about my bike if they can take mine about their mullets... still they are cool people regardless.

#38 ·
In michigan its pretty bad, like shoving match match, harley vs metric, cruiser vs sportbike, club vs no club, old school club vs new school club, and me flipping them all off because i just want to ride.

#39 ·
It seems all the genres are friendly in Mar-April and then again in Oct-Nov....

In between, the rookies and badazz are only allowed to give me lip if....
While Running my 900 custom, with missus on her 800.....Catch us if you can.
Not many have been successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.