Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Nomad paint

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  gator21 
#1 ·
Ordered paint from COLORITE for my nomad,was NOT even close
they insisted it was correct,not
stopped by a ppg paint dealer,Guess what,after 45 min of paint swatches and comparing,I HAVE an exact match,or damn near close,Happy camper now,chip filled in,looks good
Will never buy paint from colorite again,they might not have correct codes or whatever,maybe ma kawi wont give them out
Paint dealer thinks that's why,couldn't find it on his computer even with the number on the colorite paint can,Just a fyi

#2 ·
Color-Rite is Color-Wrong. I never trust them. I believe with the exception of black, most of Kaw's colors use a white or grey base coat and then a transparent color over that and then a clear. Makes it really hard to match up.

#3 ·
I had a '10 Nomad and found the paint to be unusually susceptible to being scratched or otherwise marred. That was a bit disappointing to me. Had I kept the bike, I would probably have had it repainted with something more durable.

#4 ·
For Cherry Cardinal Red here it is for anyone that needs it, I had my Painter match it on my former bike, first he used DuPont standard mix "Cambridge Beige" for Toyota Camry, it's actually a goldish color with metallic as the base.

The paint shop mixed this as the top coat and it matched PERFECT;

DuPont Chromabase 851675K/SAZ plus 5 grams per liter metallic

total cost for 1/2 pint was $47.70 and that was plenty to do a Fairing and a Tour Pak

#6 ·
I have had both my bikes bags, batwings and trailer painted by an automotive painter ... all he used was a scanner, it gave him the paint codes and came out a perfect match, 2 tone , all the way down to the pin striping, it was not the cheapest way, but quality work never is.

#7 ·
Nice whiting
This too was a DuPont dealer,should have went there first,30 bucks for 4oz,but so worth it,had some cool custom tanks on the wall
paint ended up being a Hyundai metal flake,even tho kaw code was given to color rite,wasnt even close,best bet is to take the bike
can take code off can if anyone needs the met/titanium for the 2010

#8 ·
as you have all learned, never go to a touch up can. bike paint is all a 3 stage paint. most are 'candy colors' and can never be matched without a 3 stage application. DuPont is the best, bar none. I was a painter in my previous life when my dad was still around and had his own shop. I really miss that kinda work. 27years of diesel runnin through my viens, im probably a bit rusty w/a paint gun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.