Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Is there a rise in stupid people???

9K views 57 replies 29 participants last post by  GFISH 
#1 ·

some idiot decided to block me, didnt cut em off or anything. i just came out and saw this.
i waited, nobody showed up, i was able to get bike outta there.

theres a rise in stupid people

See less See more
#5 ·
You were kind. Me.....I woulda called the police just for the satisfaction.

As for stupid people. A friend of mine put it very nicely. All these "No child left behind" kids are starting to enter the adult world and it is showing.

#4 ·
I concur that TSTD (To Stupid To Drive) is rampant in this part of the country as well. Makes it just plain challenging some days to keep a civil and even keel going.

Cheers!

Mike

#6 ·
I always park in the middle of the space. But yes you are right. LOTS of stupid people. But I'll tell you what, Nothing like changing a flat tire to make them understand.

Reactions: mick56
#8 ·
Wow!

I think that's just evidence of self-centerdness. "Hey, I could fit there!" is what went through their head, no consideration as to whether or not someone might be trying to get out. There ARE people who get Angry that motorcycles take up 'full parking spots'. But if there is no alternative, why shouldn't we? If I'm riding with a group we 'condense' two to a spot but if I'm by myself, I park just like you do, right in the middle of the spot! That's where you're supposed to!

I park behind building I work at, and there are two small side-streets on either side of the building; which is right on main street. Lots of street parking. I don't park in the street because I'd rather not have my car/bike dinged up :) Though it's clearly marked AND should be obvious, occasionally, people will park blocking the side streets. I can see both from my office, and at least once my desk phone has called the local LEO office down the street, who have then sent a tow-truck on their behalf (A local towing company is contracted out with them. It's literally, for them, as simple as getting on the radio and asking him to go pick something up. Then they get a bill at the end of the month for everything they have him do). And, sure enough, within a few minutes a minivan blocking the street has been hauled off right about the time I was heading downstairs to hop on my bike and go home!

I always park at the back of a parking lot, under a light if I can. Avoid door dings and such. I have yet to kiel over and die from walking the extra few feet. The elderly and those with disabilities aside, I'm not sure why people get so aggressive about parking a few feet closer.

Reactions: pmassey31545
#10 ·
Wow!
There ARE people who get Angry that motorcycles take up 'full parking spots'. But if there is no alternative, why shouldn't we?
Yes, and if you decide to leave the big spaces for cars and find an alternative parking spot, like those little lined spaces at the end of a row or on the concrete near the door of a store, they get angry about that too. Just can't please some folks.

#9 ·
Thanks MVA, I'm a member of other forums and Calvin has always been my Avatar doing something that fits that forum. Kinda reminds me of how my life was growing up.

#11 ·
There are some places that have smaller spots for bikes however, a parking spot is a parking spot. I have yet to see a spot say "parking except motorcycles". I also welcome anyone who doesn't think I should park in a "car only" spot come over and I'll be glad to.......discuss it with them.

Reactions: mick56
#12 ·
There is a rise in BOTH stupid people and oblivious people. It's what happens when countries become too rich.

We live in a culture where people are reluctant to admit what they don't know. The first necessary condition for being "smart" is "knowing what you don't know." The unwillingness of people to admit that they don't know stuff means "stupidity" (by this definition---mine) has risen.

Your post is not about that. However, there is also a rise in obliviousness, which is related, and is a property held by the idiot that locked you in. I think the person that cut you off is oblivious. Not being utterly oblivious is also a necessary condition for being smart.

Obliviousness and self-centeredness are related, so there is also a rise in the latter.

It is what it is. Good luck getting rid of it. My post is not very optimistic, and I see wonderful counter-examples every day, but I do think that generally speaking, what you said and what I am saying are accurate.

Now the real question --- did you have fun getting your bike out while contemplating the idiot's action?

Ride on mate.

#15 ·
It looks like we have the hero we deserve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luNGjffDjCs

For context: This car had decided to park in a spot that wasn't a spot, blocking the bicycle lane. Sure, the Bicycles could've just gone around (just like you were able to 'just go around' the jerk who blocked you), but the Incredible Hulks foreign younger brother, the worlds Strongest Bicyclist, decided Freddie Fiat needed a lesson in where cars go, and where Bicycles go. (I mean seriously, don't block bicycle lanes if your community has them, or throw trash in them, or walk in them, etc. etc. Bicyclists aren't going to stop riding; they'll just use the roadways instead. Which is perfectly legal, even where there are bike paths.)

#16 ·
I have used a form message a few times before that fits your needs.

Thanks for parking so close. Next time leave a can opener so I can get my bike out !@&holes like you should take a bus.

I have actually left this a few with my name on it. But that was another world back when I thought I could do something about it.

Your patience and restraint are to be commended. With all the shoula' coulda' woulda' You really diud the right thing.

Jimmy D

#17 ·
I had a scenario of instant justice in a mall parking lot. I was going from row to row looking for a parking space, and I saw one. So I put on my turn signal and make my way towards it, when suddenly, a woman in an adjacent lane guns it, flys in, and turns sharply into the spot. I slam on my brakes, she looks over momentarily and BAM. Her airbags deploy as she smacks the concrete wall of the parking garage. I continued, found a spot one lane over. I parked several feet farther from the door, and being blessed with good health and two legs, I was fine. She, on the other hand, had to deal with a police report, angry mall management, and explaining to her insurance company why her liability claim is going to involve two dozen union contractors and a load of concrete. We (my wife and I) were actually back at the mall a week and a half later (Christmas shopping) and they were still working on that section of the wall and had that entire block of parking spots roped off.

I will genuinely never understand extreme aggressiveness when it comes to parking. Really, even if you have to park in an adjacent parking lot, what's the big deal? It's not that far. Especially at a mall. You're going to walk around from store to store (well, I was headed to a specific store, but most people will); so what's the big deal walking a few extra feet to get to the mall?

Of course I'm one of these guys who takes the stairs because the elevator takes too long. We were on a cruise earlier this summer and I used the elevator once of twice. Every time, without fail, someone gets on with us and wants off at the very next floor. Even if it's several floors, it's faster just to take the stairs. Would be nice when going up 6 or 7 floors; but when everyone gets on wanting a ride up ONE floor, it's just a pain.

#19 ·
I've heard that complaint to and don't get it. So what if it takes up a whole spot? That means you got there in time to snag it. She would be just as 'inconvenienced' if you had been driving a dually diesel truck and parked right there. She'd be even angrier if you parked on the concrete next to the door! You were driving a vehicle and took a parking spot, it happens. A car and a motorcycle won't fit together in a spot, so that just is what it is!

A better alternative might be for your company to designate some parking spots as 'motorcycle parking' by halving them. But then, she'd just park across two motorcycle spots since "nobody uses them anyway" and they might be closer :)

#20 ·
My own grandmother lamented going to the mall or some other busy venue, and lamented the fact that when she thought she found a free spot, a bike filled it. Damn those motorcycles! I look back at that comment and though while it seems inconsiderate, she noticed.

I wish I could shovel that mentality of hers into the majority of people of today who don't own any enjoy bikes. At least we wouldn't be blocked in or having to report to insurance about some jackass ramming the bike "by accident" and then taking off.

When I take the bike out, I park it diagonally as far away as possible, and if I have to use a regular parking stall the bike is way towards the rear end, so most folks can see it's occupied. IF A POLICE REPORT has to be filed, there should be no way the dumb ass driver couldn't see my bike parked there.

Thank God I haven't had it happen yet, though I think it is just a matter of time in this day and age of idiot drivers.

#22 ·
My own grandmother lamented going to the mall or some other busy venue, and lamented the fact that when she thought she found a free spot, a bike filled it. Damn those motorcycles! I look back at that comment and though while it seems inconsiderate, she noticed.

I wish I could shovel that mentality of hers into the majority of people of today who don't own any enjoy bikes. At least we wouldn't be blocked in or having to report to insurance about some jackass ramming the bike "by accident" and then taking off.

When I take the bike out, I park it diagonally as far away as possible, and if I have to use a regular parking stall the bike is way towards the rear end, so most folks can see it's occupied. IF A POLICE REPORT has to be filed, there should be no way the dumb ass driver couldn't see my bike parked there.

Thank God I haven't had it happen yet, though I think it is just a matter of time in this day and age of idiot drivers.
That is what I do.

But what would the owners of Fiats, Smart Cars, Prius think if we park sideways behind there cars because they don't take up a complete space? I am all for motorcycles parking where they can out of the way, just not on the sidewalks of store fronts and such. That is a little excessive for me. But hatched areas at the end of spots or that odd area at the end of angled row of spots is cool. The local HD dealer has concrete slab with concrete curbs spaced apart enough to let motorcycles in but not cars right in front of the store and service department.

#25 ·
I park at a slight angle; but at the very front of the parking space.

I find more comfort having my front tire showing from several yards away rather than expecting them to notice my bike after they start to pull in.

Yes, a very LARGE truck may hide my bike; but they hide most cars anyway.

Curious though...who has actual experience with having their bike hit in a marked parking space and what area of the spot were you parked in?

Scott

#27 ·
At work and out at "shopping areas" I always park in the shallow end of the space. That of course leaves the rest of the parking space empty, but it's "mine" while I am there. I also do not fight to park close to the door. I would much rather park mid way out or further. Bike, pickup or my work car, unless my wife is with me I like the walk and it is safer for my wheels. When I ride with my club or other friends we always park 2 wide.
So far no issues.

#28 ·
Makes you wonder what makes these people tick. If I'm riding down the road. is it ok for a car to share my lane? Of course not, so why is a parking spot with a bike so hard to imagine. I too have parked in the odd corner with yellow lines through it, but we're setting ourselves up to tickets. It's designated a no parking area. Went to a walmart yesterday, and they have a large area with white strips just in front of the store. It's not for parking but was full of cars. Heaven forbid these people should have to walk a few extra feet.

#29 ·
I always park the bike farther back in the spot to make it more visible. Having seen what happened to OP, I now have another reason for parking farther back. However, I also notice OP seemed to be trying to stay in the shade. A key dragged the entire length of the car would have served the driver right.

BTW, Hulk's baby brother was in the wrong. He should have rolled the car out of the way. :)

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sad to say, I've seen scenes like the one the OP shared far too often. Like most people I keep my bike towards the opening of the parking space so it's visible. With my back issues I will try to park closer if I can, but it doesn't work out that way all the time. The local gas station/convenience store here has about 8 spots for motorcycles only. Even when there are open spaces closer to the door, I'll park in those spots because they are there, for me, and my fellow riders. Once I pulled in to pick up a soda and a snack and there were cars parked in the motorcycle spots. I pulled my bike in behind a car cross ways and in the store I went. When I came out there was a guy standing next to my bike. I asked if he had a problem and he said yeah, some jerk blocked him in. I politely showed him the sign that was posted right in front of his car that said "Motorcycle Parking Only". He got a little pissy with me, and called the cops. They showed up and gave him the ticket. And then politely asked me to move my bike. I saddled up and headed on my way.

Funny thing is, nobody gets mad at handicapped people parking in regular spots. Why get pissy with motorcycles parked in normal spots? Unless they are posted "Compact cars only" or "4 wheeled vehicles only" or "Truck parking only" etc. I'm parking my bike in the open spot. Unless there is designated bike parking. IF there is, I'll park there. Otherwise, cagers can KMA.

#31 ·
Yes, stupidity is increasing.

2 things that have popped up for me lately are one personal, and one with my sister.

First, my sister's is at work. They have a very large parking lot and the building put in a few signs that say "motorcycle parking only" near the front under some trees. Unfortunately, people seem to ignore those signs and park there anyway. She has left notes pointing out the signs but the same vehicles park there day after day. Even worse is that there is a security guard who sits at a desk right inside the door of the building, and they have done nothing when she has complained about it. I would suggest doing some things to them, however there are cameras on the lot, and no one wants to get in trouble over something so stupid.

The second is something that pissed me off yesterday, on a small residential road passing a small college, I was behind an out of state car that kept stopping in the middle of the road, clearly not sure exactly where they were going, after the 4th time they stopped, they went about 100 yards, put on their brakes and pulled to the right side of the road. To me, this was them realizing they were annoying the people behind them and they were getting out of the way. Nope, this was them making a left turn into a driveway.

This is not limited to this one instance, I have run into it lately when out in my car as well, only in those instances people have put on a left blinker and then pulled to the right to make sure there was no space for people to pass them on the shoulder while they wait for traffic going the other way to pass and they can make their turn. Selfish and inconsiderate to say the least in my opinion.

#32 ·
Ok, Saturday I rode to the store and parked the bike well away from all the cars. When I came out there was a car parked next to my bike and over the line into my space. There were at least 10 open spaces on either side of me. Stupid? Yes! Let's see if changing a flat makes them any smarter.

Reactions: DoomCrewInc
#33 · (Edited)
letting air out of a tire is one thing.. removing the valve stem and tossing it in the weeds is better.. or just slicing the valve stem is a much quicker way of getting the job done. rite.

but really, most anybody can change 1 tire.. 2 has a totally different affect.
1 each side, diagonally

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.