Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Before you buy a Motorcycle...

10K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  crazyriderguy 
#1 ·
... buy a Scooter.

Read up on riding tips. "Watch for loose gravel" "Road is slick in the middle" Watch videos of training courses and riding tips.

Buy a helmet and gloves and then buy a cheap, highway-legal scooter - 150 cc is plenty big. Ride it a Lot. Ride in traffic. Ride in curves. Lean, countersteer, go on a 50+ mile round trip on it. Watch videos of training courses and riding tips and use them.

When you are ready, shop around. Take a day and go to as many motorcycle sales places as you can. Sit on them, balance them, ask questions. Have someone take photos of you sitting on the motorcycle, one leg up in riding position, from different angles.

Then, take a MSF Riding course. Ask your riding coach about the top three motorcycles in your list. Ask about what cc's you need to start out with. Ask both during and after the course.

When you are ready to buy, find a deal and pounce on it.

... at least that is what I did.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have any regrets starting out with my Vulcan 500. A person with a small build could probably start with a 250 bike (Suzuki TU250 is a great starter, as are many others). I will keep my 500 much longer than I would have a 250, though. Who knows, if I'd started with a scooter, might have moved directly up to something bigger.

I wholeheartedly recommend the MSF course for all new riders or anyone considering it but not sure.

#3 ·
The MSF course should be mandatory for riders, it is in the military, but i went the other way with my first motorcycle purchase. instead of working my way up to bigger bikes, i bought a 05 2000. once you get over the low speed balance and turns, a bike is a bike. riding a big bike keeps me from becoming complacent and makes you respect the machine. either way you go, there is no replacement for time in the saddle

#4 ·
The MSF course should be mandatory for riders, it is in the military, but i went the other way with my first motorcycle purchase. instead of working my way up to bigger bikes, i bought a 05 2000. once you get over the low speed balance and turns, a bike is a bike. riding a big bike keeps me from becoming complacent and makes you respect the machine. either way you go, there is no replacement for time in the saddle
That is the truth. I try to to tell people what to do when they are learning because everyone learns differently. I started on a 650 Honda Nighthawk and the wife started on a Kaw eliminator 125. Two totally different bikes She said she was glad she started on it because she was a little intimidated by it. Now she can hop on the V2K and take it up the road and back. I did not take the MSF Course, but I wish I did and I still may when I can come up with the extra $450 for my wife and I to take it. (not cheap here). I guess what I am saying is bike preference is up to the rider but before you hit the road a person needs to get some instruction before getting out there and getting hurt. If I took a MSF Course It probably would have saved me a few clutch and brake levers. :eek:

#6 ·
OH yeah and too small can be scary too. There are too many blind intersections here. When my wife had that 125 I avoided several places because I felt like I could not get out and going fast enough if something was to be coming around the corner. I am not I needed to pull and pull a power wheelie but "spirited". That 125 did not have it. It did how ever pull my (at the time) 300lb hindend up some of these mtns at 45 and 50 mph. Can't complain about that but at the top it's tongue was dragging the ground :D .

#7 ·
I disagree about getting a scooter, agree about getting a small bike. I bought a Rebel 250, took the class on an Eliminator 125. Not having to think about keeping a heavier bike upright probably saved me money. The class is an absolute must. I had thought about skipping it and am very glad I did not.

Once I got the basics down, I like riding my Vulcan a lot more.

#9 ·
I'm at the point where I wish I had bought something much larger. I can't afford something bigger right now and no one generally wants to trade for a smaller bike. Personally I wish I had gone 1200 or larger.

I would say take the MSF course before you even buy a bike so that you know whether or not you really want to ride. Then buy a bike for long term in case, like myself, you can't afford to upgrade later.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#10 ·
To me the Rebel 250 made a lot of sense because I knew if I wanted to move up I would not get hurt bad on getting rid of the little bike. There are always bikes in that size range available out there from under $ 1,000 on up, mostly under $ 2,000. I actually did not intend to move up when I bought the Rebel since I thought I would pretty much be riding locally, like commuting. Then my daughter decided she wanted to ride and I decided I needed something more suitable for cruising.

#11 ·
My wife started on a Rebel 250 and after 300 miles traded it in for a 750 Shadow Spirit. She also thought it would be a big enough bike for what she wanted, commuting to work and crusing around the neighbourhood. After a few commutes to work she realized it didn't have enough power when she wanted it, such as passing on the highway. My 900 was and still is my first bike. After about 6 months I'm already looking at an upgrade, but not because of the size, more so for amenities. I'd prefer to have a bagger, like a Vaquero. I could always go the poor-mans route and convert my 900 into a bagger, but we'll see!

#13 ·
The VN 900 Classic LT comes with both saddle bags and windscreen. Without those, I would not have gotten it. I bought saddle bags for the Rebel, also a necessity. I also bought a windscreen "purse" for my Vulcan. It gets used constantly. Saddle bags for your Vulcan should not exceed $ 300, for pretty nice ones.

#14 ·
I started out on a Suzuki TC90 back in the 70's. Rode that for a summer, then got a Honda 550SS. There were no motorcycle safety courses back then. After a while on the Honda I did the whole Harley thing for a couple of decades. I quit riding for a few years, then picked up my 01 Drifter 1500 and haven't looked back.

If a safety course would have been available I would have taken it, and I recommend it to new riders. From there, find a smaller bike that can handle you for a while and get comfortable with it. When the time comes to move up, take test rides on the ones you're looking at.

#15 · (Edited)
I bought my bike without ever gaving been on one towards tge end of last year. A friend did the test ride and rode it to my house after. I spent the late fall and so ring catching up on all the maintenance since it was an old bike. Took the MSF course in the later spring and finally got to ride the bike I had already spent so much time with. The GS450 was a great first bike, relatively nimble and quick enough to be entertaining. Stop light to stop light it was as fast if not slightly faster than my friends volusia 800. Unfortunately the seat and riding position were perfect at bothering a back probkem I have and I would be in a fair amount of pain after 40 miles. I sucked it up though and took it for a few multi hundred mile rides.

The nice thing about starting with a smaller bike is that they are very easy to sell and if its older you should get what you paid for it. So there isnt much risk. Plus you can get some wrenching experience with a bike you wont be scared to touch.

The vn800b I have now only cost me 600 more than I sold the GS for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#16 ·
Moving up in size must be some kind of disease. I've only had my 500 for about three months and am perfectly happy with the bike and the power (don't do interstates yet). But that 900 looks soooo nice.....

#19 ·
After having not ridden a bike for over 40 years I decided I wanted to start again. Took the MSF course and loved it. Was looking for a Valkyrie but was steered to a smaller bike by the crew in the Valkyrie forums. Started looking for something around the 900 range. Ended up buying the Vulcan 1600. Was intimidated by the overall weight but I got used to it quickly. Now......I wish I would have bought the Valkyrie to start with! Not much diff in weight and the Valk has a lower center of gravity.

#20 ·
I started with the MSF course which is free in IL. Got the bug and ended up buying a 94 Yamaha Virago 535 which was a perfect starter bike. I put 600 miles on that and wanted a bike that was a little faster and fit me better. The 2000 VN800B actually is easier to handle and more comfortable than the Virago. Keep in mind you should get a bike that fits you, a bike that is too small for you will be hard to handle in strong winds

#21 ·
I started on a 250cc chinese cruiser vulcan replica for few months then sold it & moved up to the 900
For me, riding came natural. From the 1st moment I rode, I was feeling comfy although I've never rode a bike before in my life; thank God...

#22 ·
The motorcycle safety course is a great learning tool. My wife took it and has done fine. She rides a 150cc scooter. But that''s all she wants. And she can do all her local errands on it.

I started out back in 1977 on a Honda CB200T. I have gone from there all the way up to a 1700cc Nomad. Howeever I also have a 150cc scooter for fun.

Back when I started there were no courses. And bikes were available in all size engines. However the biggest bikes were only 750cc unless you bought a Harley. Or a Goldwing, which was a 1000cc monster!

Most everybody learned on smaller bikes and then moved up. It was just that way back then. You rode what you had until you had pushed that bike to it's limits. Then you moved up.

#23 ·
I think MSF should be mandatory for all drivers who go through drivers education. It would get people to understand the importance of caution for motorcycles potentially safety hazards for any drivers of the road. Just a thought as we already have to go through tumultuous training. However, that being said, I bought a 900 classic because it was spotless and the price was right. 1 month later took MSF train gin and got my license. Drove around town for a couple hundred miles and took a 23 hour road trip to VA. Started feeling comfortable mid 1500 miles. And, at over 3000 miles I am getting in tune with the bike as one. Still err on the side of caution and intentional behavior though. After riding the tonka toys at MSF I was glad I got the 900, even though it seems like a beast when I got back home that quickly diminished.

#25 ·
True. I had ridden street for over 20 years before I took a class, I truly thought it would be a waste of my time, but I'd get a insurance discount from it. Well I was wrong, it wasn't a waste of time, I had a lot of fun, and it really did give me some new skills and help build some I already had.

I started on a LTD 400, owned a dozen or so afterwards including: a LTD 440, a GSX 600, a CBR600F2, a CBR1000, now a Vulcan 900 Custom. I think starting on a smaller cc bike is ok and can be easier, but the funny thing is a large cc bike when I started riding is a mid sized bike now, so it really is perspective.

#27 ·
I started on a scooter and glad I did. Gave me a little insight on how it felt. Decided I wanted to go up hills without slowing to 45mph and bought my Vulcan S. Rider course next weekend! I agree, everyone should take it. Winging it is tough.

#30 ·
Everyone is different but, the average new rider should start with an older, less expensive bike. If you fall, you will not spend weeks crying. After a 20 year hiatus, I went shopping for my second bike. My first had been a Yamaha 750. The salesman and my wife gave me the right advice: the advice I gave above. Of course, I had already fallen in love with a Kawasaki 1500 Mean Streak and there was no dissuading me. I had not ridden in 20 years so, it was the wrong decision.

The first time out, I got distracted and dropped the bike going around a turn as I fumbled the clutch. After the bike was fixed, I took the MSC but, I remain in terror of damaging the bike again. I was hesitant to ride anywhere unfamiliar and put few miles on the bike. In fairness to myself, my whole life was changing so, there was limited time.

Bottom line new buyers: buy the smallest and cheapest bike you can live with. Learn the ropes and then move up. Make your mistakes less painfully!

#32 · (Edited)
I, too, disagree about getting a scooter before a motorcycle. There is a crucial skill set a new rider will not learn on a scooter: manual shifting. I am certain there are a few manual shifting scooters; however, more often than not, the scooter is going to be an automatic while motorcycles will be just the opposite.

After having gone through truck driving school, I believe Class C drivers should be forced to go through something similar for non-commercial vehicles. This includes mandatory learning to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission. There should also be a mandatory motorcycle awareness course and a course on the dangers of using a cellphone while driving. Just my opinion, though.

Anyways, unless you got your license suspended for whatever reason, I don't believe a scooter should ever be an option as a starter "bike". Unless you REALLY like those things, then go for it.

I rode a Honda Trail 50 during my youth. Then in the early 2000's, picked up a brand new Vulcan 750 as my first real bike. I would not recommend anything bigger for the driving course. After, it's been a mix of KLR's and sub liter cruisers with a Honda VTX 1300C in there somewhere. As a tall and big guy, I like the smaller bikes for some reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.