2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan Classic SE
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Imperial Red/Grey Metallic
Garage
Question Carrying a load - best practice

Looks like I'll be getting a Vulcan S, hopefully sometime soon. I want to use it mainly for commuting to work (about 30 min away in a rural setting to a small town).

I'm a professional photographer and often get called out on small assignments where I need to bring a bit of gear and hoping I can do this on the bike. I have a very good backpack that holds my camera gear - 35-45lbs in total, plus a tripod. The tripod can strap to the backpack if needed.

My question is, am I better off wearing the backpack or strapping it to the bike (rear carrier I'm assuming). I won't be doing this until I'm more comfortable with the bike, but I'm guessing that wearing the pack with 40ish extra lbs might throw off my balance more than strapping it to the bike itself.

Comments?

Last edited by MN-Rider; 08-02-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:17 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2012
If it was me I would strap it to the bike. I used to wear a backpack to carry my clothes for work and mu lunch. Now it wasn't 40lbs. It was still bulky. Now I have saddle bags to carry and it feels much better being off my back.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 08:10 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Vulcan Custom Special Edition
Color: Black/Special Edition Orange
Garage
You want to secure it to the motorcycle somehow. Riding with a backpack is one of the more uncomfortable experiences, and I can't imagine 40lbs worth of gear on your back.

I ride to and from work sometimes and I've ridden with a backpack and with everything in a top case, and I can tell you the experience/fun factor of not having a backpack is night and day.

Believe me, you want to strap it down or place it in a top case/saddle bag.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antherage View Post
You want to secure it to the motorcycle somehow. Riding with a backpack is one of the more uncomfortable experiences, and I can't imagine 40lbs worth of gear on your back.

I ride to and from work sometimes and I've ridden with a backpack and with everything in a top case, and I can tell you the experience/fun factor of not having a backpack is night and day.

Believe me, you want to strap it down or place it in a top case/saddle bag.
+1 on the comfort comparison. Consider also that if you were to be in an accident, you (and possibly your equipment) would probably fare much better if the equipment were strapped to the bike.

As to the balance issue, it probably won't make that much difference, once you get used to it. You have to learn to adjust to the load by going slow and easy until you figure out how the load will affect lean, braking, etc.

Installed:
RAM Aquabox with USB Power for GPS
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
This is probably going to come down to personal preference. Walking around while carrying a 40 pound backpack is drastically different than sitting upright while wearing a 40 pound backpack, with the extra weight pressing down square on your ass. Arguments could be made either way as far as strapping your stuff to the bike vs wearing it and what would happen if you dropped the bike or were in a crash. Either way, you and your stuff and probably screwed. Also, can you try sitting on the bike with your camera bag to see if the back seat would interfere?

As for me, I only wear a backpack when I have to or for short distances. Both bikes have a tail bag/case for carrying stuff. I almost always wear a Camelbak on the XT250, but that's nowhere near 40 pounds. I do wear a backpack sometimes when going to work, but that's just a few miles each way. I'm not a big fan of riding with backpacks but it doesn't seem to bother some people.

Good luck with the new bike.
MikeG likes this.

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer
2008 Yamaha XT250
2015 Yamaha TT-R110
War Eagle
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Color: Blue/Black
Mike, have you already acquired your Vulcan S? You say you get called out for small assignments. Will this be on paved roads most or all the time? I live in a rural area and we have a lot of gravel/dirt roads. I am not sure if the Vulcan S is a good bike for non-paved roads. I know that's not your question but curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Looks like I'll be getting a Vulcan S, hopefully sometime soon. I want to use it mainly for commuting to work (about 30 min away in a rural setting to a small town).

I'm a professional photographer and often get called out on small assignments where I need to bring a bit of gear and hoping I can do this on the bike. I have a very good backpack that holds my camera gear - 35-45lbs in total, plus a tripod. The tripod can strap to the backpack if needed.

My question is, am I better off wearing the backpack or strapping it to the bike (rear carrier I'm assuming). I won't be doing this until I'm more comfortable with the bike, but I'm guessing that wearing the pack with 40ish extra lbs might throw off my balance more than strapping it to the bike itself.

Comments?

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan Classic SE
Color: Imperial Red/Grey Metallic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
Mike, have you already acquired your Vulcan S? You say you get called out for small assignments. Will this be on paved roads most or all the time? I live in a rural area and we have a lot of gravel/dirt roads. I am not sure if the Vulcan S is a good bike for non-paved roads. I know that's not your question but curious.

I actually ended up with the Vulcan 900 Classic SE. Still not a "dirt" bike but fortunately most of the roads on my area are paved. There's a few dirt ones but easily avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike "TOGR" Guilbault
2016 Vulcan 900 Classic SE
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Even in the super rural area I grew up in, visiting now, all of the roads are paved (instead of mostly gravel like they were a few years ago). Gravel/dirt roads, except for private roads and driveways, are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Though, they still exist!

My wife doesn't want saddlebags on her bike so she often rides to work with a backpack. But her office is just a few miles away; it's a very short commute. The backpack she's got is actually a 'motorcycle' backpack and has some nice straps on it. On long trips she'll load it and strap it to her fender rack on her bike (it's setup in a solo seat configuration).

On the 900, I think your best bet is probably going to be a sissy bar and a luggage rack. (Too bad you didn't get the Classic LT; you'd be halfway there, plus saddlebags). There are sissy bar bags that are quite large that will have a 'pouch' that slides over the sissy bar, it'll then rest on the luggage rack, and can be secured with straps. Easily on and off the bike and very secure. Alternatively, you can use a number of bags available intended for the passenger seat; some even have a nice backrest for the rider.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Color: Blue/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Even in the super rural area I grew up in, visiting now, all of the roads are paved (instead of mostly gravel like they were a few years ago). Gravel/dirt roads, except for private roads and driveways, are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Though, they still exist! ...
I wish deep east Texas would get this memo. While most of the main roads are paved, there are still a significant amount of roads that are a mix of rock and dirt. You have to be careful when you turn off a main road onto another paved road because it may quickly turn into a dirt road. Delivering the mail in the area helped me discover many of these dirt roads.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:49 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Think I'd want the backpack strapped to the back seat. That'll keep the weight low and centered as possible.
MikeG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode