Carrying a load - best practice - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan Classic SE
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Imperial Red/Grey Metallic
Garage
I got a great deal on some leather saddlebags ($50). They don't have the quick release - old school buckles - but when I'm on the bike I'm not in a hurry anyway. So, I bought a couple of Pelican Cases (#1400). I've split the equipment between the two cases - nicely balanced, and they slip in, one on each side, into the saddlebags. I bought some ROK Straps and strap the tripod to the passenger seat. It overhangs the back of the seat, but works like a charm. I now ride to work - and ride to most of my jobs now. Happy!

Mike "TOGR" Guilbault
2016 Vulcan 900 Classic SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:26 AM

Good! Strap that stuff on the bike! I have an 05 Vulcan 800, with Leatherlyke saddlebags, and my laptop doesn't fit in them. I ended up with the laptop (and other stuff) in a Targus laptop backpack. It weighed 15-20lbs, and wasn't *too* bad on the 800. Now I've got a Vaquero, and the first time I tried to ride with the backpack, I thought I was gonna dump the bike when the weight in the bag shifted. Since then, if it doesn't fit in the saddlebags, it ain't going with me.

-John

2016 Vaquero
2005 VN800B
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:37 AM

I carry so much stuff on my bike, guys at work have threatened to find a gooseneck trailer to connect with a fifth wheel on the back seat.

Grocery shopping, taking tools down to my parents or inlaws,
All the local gas stations have single hose gas pumps that puts 2-3 gals of Ethanol-gas in my tank before the ethanol flushes out, so I take a couple of 5 gal gas cans in the crate
1 can for flushing, the other so I can maximize the gas storage after paying top dollar for 87 junk

You never see a bike parked outside a psychiatrist's office

07 Vulcan 900 custom,
96 VS800 Intruder,
01 1200 HD Sporty...

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkdelta View Post
I carry so much stuff on my bike, guys at work have threatened to find a gooseneck trailer to connect with a fifth wheel on the back seat.

Grocery shopping, taking tools down to my parents or inlaws,
All the local gas stations have single hose gas pumps that puts 2-3 gals of Ethanol-gas in my tank before the ethanol flushes out, so I take a couple of 5 gal gas cans in the crate
1 can for flushing, the other so I can maximize the gas storage after paying top dollar for 87 junk
The American Petroleum Institute says that at most, gas pumps contain 1/3rd of a gallon of gas. (WSJ Dec, 2008) That's not insignificant. If you put 4 gallons of fuel into your bike than that means about 8% of the fuel wasn't what you paid for. In my personal opinion, "mixer pumps" should account for that and it seems like a very deceptive and unfair business practice. Having said that, it's not 2 or 3 gallons and it's not as significant as many people exaggerate it to be. If you do the math, it means if you are pumping 93 and the previous user was pumping 87, then you're going to end up with 4 gallons that rounds out to just about 92.5. There's a lot of myths around ethanol too. It's not acidic like some people think; it's actually slightly basic, at 7.33 (water is 7.00). Gasoline of course is a hydrocarbon and doesn't mix with water so it's pH can't be tested. (And therein lies the real issue with Ethanol, it readily forms a solution with water. But in a very small concentration, it's not an issue except for very long term storage). While pure ethanol can be harmful to rubber components, if you remember from High School chemistry, diluting a solution changes it's properties. 10% ethanol is not harmful; though it does reduce performance. Motorcycles of all vintages are going strong in many states where ethanol-free fuel is not available at all, even Premium.

If you really feel the need to flush it, then 1/3rd to 1/2 of a gallon is MORE than sufficient. Or just make sure you pull in behind a corvette or something.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 10-10-2016 at 10:58 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Just make sure you pull in behind a corvette or something.

The American Petroleum Institute says that at most, gas pumps contain 1/3rd of a gallon of gas.
If you really feel the need to flush it, then 1/3rd to 1/2 of a gallon is MORE than sufficient.

(the real issue with Ethanol, it readily forms a solution with water. But in a very small concentration, it's not an issue except for very long term storage).
Sorry, didnt mean to hi-jack.
Thanks for the Info !!!
I do try to find a pump with the non ethanol in the hose, B/C just seems like its more than 1/2 gal in the line from the top of the machine down to the nozzle, plus who knows how much is really inside the machine. With the gas companies always afraid of gouging complaints, thats their story

This time of year I never know when the next time the bikes are going out of the garage, so I try extremely hard to keep the corn oil out of the gas tank

And now back to our regularly scheduled program

You never see a bike parked outside a psychiatrist's office

07 Vulcan 900 custom,
96 VS800 Intruder,
01 1200 HD Sporty...
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 11:46 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Color: Gray & Black
I'm looking at saddle bags that I can take on/off easily as I don't want them on my bike unless I'm doing a long trip (vulcan 900 custom)... right now I have an Ogio Tail Bag that I use to bring my lap top/stuff for work when I ride my bike... it's designed for maybe 2 nights on the road - basically my toiletries and change of clothes... If the weather stays nice, I'll be testing this sucker out as far as packing for a road trip this weekend. I am looking at a larger option thou as I want to avoid a backpack!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:51 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: White
With that amount of weight that you would be carrying in the backpack, I would prefer to strap the backpack to the rear carrier. I'm also a photographer on the side and I would not have my equipment strapped to my back. I would put it in my saddlebags and rear carrier. That's my personal preference.

Irene
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 12:21 PM
CRU

Year/Make/Model: 2008 KAWASAKI MEAN STREAK
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: CANDY FIRE RED
I've always carried items in attached bags such as tank bags, saddle bags, fork tool bags, etc. I'll never ride a motorcycle with a backpack on. If you go down, it's a good way to get a spine injury. A broken bone will heal. A broken spinal cord won't.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
K&N Air Filter
Dyno tuned Power Commander III
Kawi OEM Backrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode