Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Biker wave etiquette.

32K views 137 replies 95 participants last post by  Dandyfunk 
#1 ·
Hi everyone? I am a new rider and I am wondering my about the biker wave, do we wave to all bikers? Or is it per type of bike, i mean cruisers to cruisers only, do scooters count? People on vespas do not seem to expect or give waves for example... Some sports bikes do not do it either, sometimes I am concentrating on what I am doing and do not notice a wave until it is too late.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I wave to everyone on a motorized vehicle of two or three wheels, and sometimes to law enforcement. Once I even waved to an oncoming Oregon State Police person and he misinterpreted it to mean that I needed to speak with him, so he did a quick turnabout! I wave to local police and they wave back. California Highway Patrol people seem to be more accustomed to bikers waving to them. In your situation of being a new rider it's best to put safety over courtesy until you gain more experience and confidence.

#87 ·
I picked up my new-to-me Mean Streak on Saturday and rode about 300 miles home, split over two days. I noticed the most waves were from others on cruisers. But sometimes those on sport bikes waved. The fewest waves came from the adventure riders. Kind of funny because a friend rode with me part way home on his V-Strom 1000.

Hot Cruiser I quoted you because I noticed you are southern Oregon coast. I was wondering what part, Brookings for me.

#3 ·
I agree with Hot Cruiser. I wave at all. I don't care what you're riding. But as Hot Cruiser said, be careful out there. I nearly ran into the back of a truck that had stopped to make a left turn, no turn lane, as I was busy watching all the oncoming bikes, just in case someone waved at me. Made a quick swerve and cleaned out my pants later, well almost! I'm a little more careful now.

#4 ·
I use to wave to everyone, now I only wave when the mood strikes me right. It may seem crass, but too many people don't wave back and it's not worth my effort anymore. I wave back, almost all the time, when I see it or my left hand isn't tied up doing something.

I never, ever, ever, ever waive to a scooter. You should lose your man card for waiving to a scooter. :grin2:

#8 ·
Some sports bikes do not do it either

I think its easier on a cruiser with left hand free they way you sit, but on sports bikes their body weight is pressed forward on the left hand holding the grip by the way you sit making a wave harder

Reactions: mredlancelot
#11 ·
I usually wave back, but not to scooters or trikes. However, those rules don't apply when I know the other rider. I also do not waive back when I am busy with the clutch, no matter who the other rider is. I do use the nod when my hands are busy, but I don't know how visible that is.

It is funny how often my bike is mistaken for a Harley. I have to explain mine burns rice.

#12 ·
I pretty much wave to all bike and trike riders...I wave to the scooter riders if they wave first..I find most riders wave back...I do not look at their hands for a wave, and just accept what I can see out of the corner of my eye. Safety.
Also, Head nod when left had is occupied.

Works for me,

#14 ·
First time rider? focus on the road, the curve and the cars around you. Waving can come with experience. Stay safe! Don't feel obligated to wave. Too many bikes on the road!!! Just raise your head slightly as a response, and keep your hands on the bars.
And don't look at chicks either!!! HAHAHAHAHA

#16 ·
There's no rules in motorcycling (besides all the arbitrary rules everyone seems to have ;) ) Wave at whoever you want to wave at. I personally wave to anyone but scooters and those backwards trike things with the 2 wheels in front, just my thing. What I wonder is when passing a big group of bikers, do you hold your wave for the whole stretch (if it's safe of course)? Or just the leader or what?

#17 · (Edited)
Biker wavee etiquet.

I use the same priorities as when I'm flying:

1. AVIATE- fly the bike. Top priority.
2. NAVIGATE- know where you're going...especially important in a group ride. Plan your turns, especially into and out of parking lots.
3. COMMUNICATE- intercom and hand signals to other group riders/passenger/oncoming bikes have the lowest priority.

That being said, I wave (when I can do so safely) at all bikes and LEOs. When I can't return a wave (traffic, at a stop light when my left hand is holding the clutch in or in a turn) I usually give a nod...they see it.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I ride a BV 250 scooter and a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. I wave to all even though many bikers won't wave back. I try to figure how different I must be riding each because riding the one at 40 gets me a nod, while riding the other at 40 gets me nothing.
I do a low-hand signal because it's fast, natural and gets your hand off the bar the shortest amount of time. While stopped I give an exaggerated head nod. I believe saying "Hi" is part of the joy of riding. To me it says "Ah, a kindred spirit. Someone who knows the joy that is flowing in my blood. Hi, brother!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I just did a ride and noticed that some wave some don't but a few times I didn't when in a curve and when I didn't want to take my left hand off the grip, it doesn't bother me if I don't get wave back because sometimes I don't wave either

Reactions: downinthefrontrow
#20 ·
I wave to all. I have noticed I do get waved to by Harley riders. Always be courteous.

#23 ·
Some of it's regional. In upstate New York it seemed like nobody waved. In Canada (Quebec) the few other motorcycles I saw all waved. Down in Texas everyone waved, Oklahoma was hit or miss. Here in Missouri; everyone waves. Arkansas is pretty good too.

When I first started riding I did the whole two fingers off to the side biker thing. Today? Meh. I'll raise a few fingers off of the left grip to say "hello", maybe raise my hand off of the grip a little if I'm feeling adventurous. That's about it. But I do wave back to everyone who waves at me, and occasionally initiate as well. I tried to wave to a bunch of people in Upstate NY because I honestly wanted to 'figure out' if they just didn't do it there and, truth be told, I only got one person to ever wave back. Nobody did. Regardless of brand, type of bike, whatever.

#24 ·
I went riding this past weekend up here in New Hampshire and 95% of the riders waved. whether i initiated it or they did. Then there was a guy who was riding that cut me off. I guess he didnt feel like doing the speed limit.

#30 ·
Preacher, I'm up here in New Hampshire as well in the Monadnock Region. I give the wave or 2-finger to just about anything on 2 wheels. Most respond. About half of the Harley riders do though. Must be busy figuring out how to make the next payment I guess.

If you ever want to ride, give me a hollar. The backroad environment in this State is just fantastic.

-Bone

Attachments

#26 ·
Just started riding here in Central Ontario (Canada) and almost every cruiser I pass waves, some more noticeable than others, but they wave. Most sport bike riders have been waving too, but a few haven't or I've just missed it. I remember driving an MG Midget and all MG owner's would flash their lights when passing each other. Respect and camaraderie - we're all in the same club. ;)

Funny... after getting my M2 but before I got my bike, I wanted to wave at every motorcycle that passed - from my car! lol

Cheers,

#28 ·
I wave at all but little scooters, and sometimes do to them as well..

I don't pay attention to see if the other rider waves back..I wait until we are within 20 feet of one another and then wave but do not look their way to see if they wave back. I often can tell if they do as a result of peripheral vision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.