Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Biker wave etiquette.

32K views 137 replies 95 participants last post by  Dandyfunk 
#1 ·
Hi everyone? I am a new rider and I am wondering my about the biker wave, do we wave to all bikers? Or is it per type of bike, i mean cruisers to cruisers only, do scooters count? People on vespas do not seem to expect or give waves for example... Some sports bikes do not do it either, sometimes I am concentrating on what I am doing and do not notice a wave until it is too late.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

#65 · (Edited)
Personally I wave like the Queen does as it adds character and an attitude to my wave, It also says I love the English which I do.

It is a wave no other biker does I think but me and that makes me different for sure.

Tottie dooo

Attachments

#71 ·
Yea but if your British or Scottish or Irish or even down under it is a good wave to know. She is a tireless old bird that is for sure 65 friggen years of appointments heck got to give her credit. I do not have the white gloves they are black.

I actually do the two finger wave and I wave at anyone, bikes of all sizes and even some cars and trucks and motorhomes. It is all good.

#73 ·
Oh Man! is my arm sore from waving. Spent about 6 and a half hours on the bike today. Started out just going to run a few errands and one thing let to.... well you know.

#74 ·
I try to give a wave always. I have given up on HD riders. Not one has ever acknowledged a wave in return. They must be too busy thinking about that bike mortgage payment that's due lol. I live in Miami and wish there were peeps to cruise with. It's either all HD or sports bikers in their 20's lol.

#75 ·
My wife and I were out for a ride a few days ago. Since the weather was pretty nice there were quite a few bikers on the road (considering the sparseness of north-central Nebraska). I suppose that most of them were riding HD. I think that every single one of them waved except for some old guy in a very small town. He didn't wave back (twice) while we were parked and sitting on a bench taking a break. And I am virtually certain that he saw us - we were the only thing on the street/highway and he looked directly at us as he went by. There will always be a clod or two around but most riders are friendly. I don't intend to let someone else determine my behavior. I like to wave and if a very few decide not to respond, well that's the way it is. :)

#76 ·
I tend to watch, and, when I see their wave come, quickly retaliate. Seems to work well. I don't want to draw someone's hand off the bar who is not comfortable or accustomed to doing so. And, yes, "anything" on two or three wheels. Even return the acknowledgment if it is a four wheeler being polite. :)

#78 ·
Reminds me of something I saw when I first started riding:

Types of bikers and their waves
-A newbie will just let go of the grip long enough to almost wave, then grab the grip so fast he almost looses control anyway
-A BMW rider only waves at other BMW riders
-A Japanese bike rider (other than Suzuki or a Goldwing) will give a friendly, relaxed wave
-A Suzuki rider will wave enthusiastically because he is just so damned happy to be out riding
-A Harley rider will give the 2-finger hand down wave (V for V-twin, though most of them don't have a clue what that wave means), sometimes, if he is not watching to see where the parts falling off go, lighting a cigarette, or popping the top on another Bud
-If he sees you soon enough, a Goldwing rider will put down his newspaper, grab a cold one from the fridge (soda, not beer), stick a snack in the microwave, check the autopilot, and then, if you haven't already passed him, he will give a big friendly wave

#80 ·
Y'all -- I loved Sabre-t's reply to Chicago-n's post. Made me laugh out loud! I can tell you from experience, as a former Vespa rider, I was so shocked that ANYONE waved to me, I damn near ran off the road the first time...and it was a guy on a Harley giving me the V-Twin nod! Or was it V for Vespa?!

Victor :nerd:

#81 ·
Everyone exept for the 15mph scooters that people drive around here. I know we should all be two wheel brothers, but those things are a menace and most of them are ridden by drunks who have lost thier licenses. I know ... bad karma.

#84 ·
That's very true.....here in northeast Nebraska, if you don't wave at everyone you run the risk of being labeled as a 'snob' or 'stuck up'....people that visit us from bigger cities or out-of-staters marvel at the number of people that we seem to know personally or are friends from elsewhere in the state......just because we all wave with that famous 'Nebraska one index finger wave' from the top of the steering wheel or left handlebar grip.0:)

#86 ·
I'll wave at pretty much anything on less than 4 wheels. Common sense rules though so if I'm in the middle of a turn or something and don't feel comfortable taking my hand off the bar they'll have to live with a nod or perhaps no acknowledgement if I really need to focus. My apologies to anyone who felt slighted but I'm trying not to wreck...hope you understand.

Some folks really love the wave though. Was riding on July 4th up near West Point and was on stretch of road where the lanes of oncoming traffic were elevated about 15 feet above me when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a Harley rider giving me a wave from above. I was in a turn though and had limited reaction time so all I could manage was a nod. I don't even know how he saw me and had time to get his hand out...with the trees and cliff side topography he didn't really have much time to catch sight of me. Anyway, clearly a good egg who really enjoys the wave.

#91 ·
Was going though an intersection yesterday and waved at a Harley rider. He didn't wave back just looked at me as we passed each other. I just laughed.

#92 ·
I will return a wave if it is safe to do so (never with my wife behind me, she freaks out) but will not initiate a wave myself. I have trust issues with the road and know it's out to murder me so I give it as few opportunities as I can.

Ignoring someone who waves when you are safely able to wave back is just rude, though.

#93 ·
If it's safe, two-wheelers get the low two finger wave. When I started riding I was told that it meant "two wheels down", in the sense of "shiny side up." Trikes get a low three. Trike riders seem to be in on the joke, as they often return the low three. And sure, scooters get a wave, too, if for no other reason than to give me something else to grin about inside the helmet.

#96 ·
And sure, scooters get a wave, too, if for no other reason than to give me something else to grin about inside the helmet.
On behalf of scooter riders everywhere, I'd like to say thanks for waving. Scooter folks get (or feel they get) very little respect...but I'm here to tell ya' the damn things are fun to ride! My Vespa 300 GTV was a fine ride...one of the few I regret letting get away (sigh...).

So, thanks, trainermb.

Victor :nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.