BRC was a horrible experience - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Color: White
BRC was a horrible experience

I was so excited for my first MSF Course this weekend. The classroom portion was good and I passed the test easily. However, it was 97 degrees that day. Once we started really getting into 2nd gear and turning, I got scared...psyched myself out. Weaving around the cones was horrible. I mentioned that I was really scared and felt 3 laps wasn't enough. They moved on anyway. Looking back, that was the ONLY exercise that I didn't do great at. By the end of day 1, I was 100% scared. Within an hour, I realized I was in full blown heat stroke. I think I was way too sick to have performed well but didn't recognize what was going on. Obviously, I didn't go to day 2. (I should have been in the hospital but wasn't capable of logical thought) I can retake the course for free later on. But, now, I'm terrified of my bike. Slow speed stuff is tough and I wanted to be good...wanted to rush it. I know that's not realistic. Any tips on conquering the fear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:07 AM
WEG

Hi Rice Girl
The advice for the heat stroke is easier than advice for the fear of the bike.😉
I think you need to find a beginners riding course. See if your dealer or maybe a local riding club knows of any in your area. The cure is practice practice and some practice. If no courses are available to you see if you can find an instructor who can give you some training.
Low speed handling is something we all struggled with and some still feel uncomfortable with our heavy bikes in those slow turns. Check out the forum here on dropping the bike or picking it up. Tells you it happens more than folks like to admit.
Don't fret, you will learn and it won't take much time to get over the fear and have confidence. We all did...

WEG
redfish, Ron M and TCriss like this.

2009 VN1700 Classic
"Black is fastest"
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 AM

+1 to what WEG said. Try early Sunday morning rides to the local High School parking lot and practice as much as possible. Practice will help create muscle memory which is where your confidence will come from.

Ron

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:44 AM
Living The Dream

Garage
Hang in there. When I took the course it was also unbearably hot. Need to plan on being in a concrete world for 2 full days. Hydration is key! Our course provided the bikes. All under 250cc for easier handling. This would be what I would suggest for you. The courses here don't let you use your own bike until you get into the advanced course. Need to learn the technique and be comfortable with it on something you CAN handle before you try it on a bigger bike. And our course was mostly women believe it or not. And most had NEVER ridden, ever. Many bike were dropped and tipped over that day. BUT everyone passed!

Also we had a great instructor who listened, and gave good pertinent advice. That was also very beneficial. Try to ask around for things of this nature. Maybe find someone who has taken a specific course and get some feedback. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving My Mid-Life Crisis!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
1991 Harley Electra Glide Classic FLHTC
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
I had never ridden a bike when I took the BRC and I failed the first time. It was late August in Georgia and over 100 degrees both days. I got my bike before that, so I practiced what I learned until December. The 2nd time I took it, it was below freezing all day both days. We had 4 slides and spills, including one of the instructors. They really should have called the session off. But I managed to control the bike every time I slipped (big pucker moment during emergency braking for the final test!!), and I passed.

Even now, 8 years later, I still get tense during slow maneuvers if I haven't practiced enough.

DeputyLoud is right, hydration is key. That goes for anytime you ride, at ANY temperature. You loose a lot of body moisture on a motorcycle.

Installed:
RAM Aquabox with USB Power for GPS
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
Any tips on conquering the fear?

yes, I have a tip, but haven't tried it yet myself, only heard of it from someone else, we get fears naturally when we sense danger, but to just face your fears and do it anyway
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom
Color: Red
Practice, practice, practice. If you can, find a friend who rides. See if they will spend some time in a parking lot practicing with you. Get some cones and set up some drills. It doesn't matter what skill level you are. Even seasoned riders could use the practice time. I think it will help your fear having a buddy there.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Top Contributor

I've been riding for nearly 50 years and having to take that sort of proficiency test under those blisteringly hot conditions probably would result in my failing as well! Suggest that you write off that particular testing session, get back onto your bike and just do some simple straight line riding to start, then slowly move on to riding around some gentle bends to rebuild your confidence. Then you can gradually move on to riding around cones, again beginning with them being widely spaced and gradually tightening the spacing.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:46 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Pearl White/Titanium
When I practice I always found the cones themselves intimidating and even the small ones were hard to take to an empty parking lot so I started using tennis balls I cut in half on my bandsaw 5 tennis balls made 10 "cones" there easy to pack into a small drawstring bag and if you do hit one it won't lodge under the bike you just roll over it and continue on. I still don't understand how some riders scrap there floorboards I'm just not that comfortable leaning over that far. But like I say some of us run in bigger circles than others 😃
Just keep riding
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Don't take this the wrong way, but If you continue to be afraid of your bike, you may want to sell it. A friend of mine who bought a 1500 after not riding anything bigger than a 50 CC scooter before was terrified of his, and he almost killed himself on it twice by freaking out on it. When we'd go riding, even on rural highways with no traffic, he could not seem to go faster than 50 and he kept a death grip on the handlebars at all times. He would panic going into turns and almost went off the road a couple of times because he had no sense of how far he could lean it over.

Take it to some empty parking lots and use parking spaces as a slalom course, and practice turning and leaning. Chances are good you'll get over the fear and start to get more comfortable on it. It's always good to have a healthy respect for what these machines can do and how quickly things can happen, but fear of it will ruin it for you and might get you hurt.

04 1500 Classic
Mustang Seat
Sissy bar, luggage rack,
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode