Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Where to keep insurance info...

11K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Dean 
#1 ·
So, my bike is brand new and I want to show it off without much alteration. Anyone using a smallish pouch/pocket for ins. card, wallet, etc.? Not to offend, but I'm not a big fan of saddlebags (until I go on longer trips at least). Anyone have suggestions on what I could look for? I searched for "pouches" and got a lot of windshield pouches but I don't have a windshield yet.

#4 ·
Do you have tool storage compartment under seat like we do on the 900? Could also take a picture and have them on your phone? I think that's legal. Might wanna check local laws. Be good for insurance info too.

#6 ·
Do you have a smart phone? Take a pic, or get a digital copy.
Plus having your INS paper and registration is old... The cops can look it up all that info an more with your drivers license and your plate.
They'll still ask for it, as it's part of the test to see how you'll react and comply to the request. I haven't had insurance papers in my car for years and when the pic on my phone was a year out of date the cop didn't need to see it and said "don't worry i can get that info" and that was 2004....

#7 ·
I bought a tank bra with pouch from Chilhowee Motorcycle Leather to how my papers on my '05 800

#9 ·
Hi Rice Girl

I have a small leather magnetic tank bag that can also be attached to your belt. It is like this one on eBay;

Soft Genuine Leather Magnetic 3 Pocket Motorcycle Tank Storage Bag 11" x 7" | eBay

It has three separate compartments that I keep my keys, phone, small cable lock, jackknife, insurance and registration papers, maybe a granola bar or two when out for the day... Nice bag easy to carry around although I usually lock mine in my saddlebag.
I have a 1700 Classic and the bag fits great between the top of my seat and the gauge cluster. Magnets hold well, never a problem with bag shifting around or coming loose.

WEG

#11 ·
I keep my registration and insurance card in a zip lock bag under the tool kit on my Vulcan S se.

Or which might be better for you on our bikes.

Inside the plastic molding the where lock for the access to allen wrench is stored to take off the seat.

There is a small space there to keep those papers also.

Ralph D II

From Boston MA.

#12 ·
+1 zip lock bag in the tool bag along with some extra fuses. and a copy in my wallet.

#13 ·

Attachments

#14 ·
I got a small locking storage box that attaches to my license plate bracket behind the plate. It's
inexpensive and easy to access. I have the registration and insurance inside a plastic bag in the box in case it leaks. It also has a foam insert that helps keep your documents from rattling around. On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XD6QHJ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
that is slick, i like it. I've been keeping mine in a ziplock, in the inside pocket of my jacket

#15 ·
Since you have a Vulcan S I'll give the same advice that Ralpheal316 did...ziplock bag under the seat by the tool pouch.

You don't have to carry POI and registration on your person, just on/in the bike in most states.

So what...if you're stopped by LE you have to take your key, remove the left side cover, get out the Allen wrench by the battery and unbolt your rear seat to get to your paperwork (insurance and registration)...big deal.

Besides keeping your documents dry and secure from prying fingers, doing it this way gives you a few moments to discuss with the officer WHY you were stopped and possibly talk yourself out of a ticket or just down to a warning LOL.

Don't ask me how I know. I heard it from a friend; yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I wear the same jacket whenever I ride. I bought a small semi-hard plastic sleeve that holds the insurance and registration slips. That goes in the back pocket of my jacket.

#17 ·
I keep my insurance card under the padding in my helmet. I am also not a fan of saddlebags, but do have a small pouch that fits under my headlight on the forks. I can keep a cheap rain poncho, comb, bandana, and a folded nylon crossbody bag. (In case I pick something up on my travels.) I don't have a pic, but will take one and post.

#21 ·
In Texas (and other states) you can use your smart phone to show a copy of the insurance cards to the police.
A tank bib (not bra) is a good alternative. I keep a copy in my wallet (as I've done for a million years).
Also, while more difficult to access, I keep a copy in a Ziplock bag in the left side cover with my tool pouch.
Do you carry a purse or wallet when you ride? How or where do you carry your license? Wear a jacket, vest and put it in a pocket with your license and any money or plastic you carry for essentials like gas, food, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.